Unrealistic portrayals of the IT world that make you laugh

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
hasnt this this topic been brought up like 5 times in the past two months? since we have ill add one of mine that has nothing to do with computers.

my pet peeve in movies is the "extra" sound effects they add to guns/knifes/swords. a guy takes his gun out of his holster and the add in the sound of him jacking a round. or if he is waving it somebody its clinking and clacking. and blades, a guy pulls a blade out of leather holster and they add in the sound of a blade going across a honing stick. i dont know what company the studios use to enhance sound effects but they need to tell them to tone it down.

jandrews

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2007
I remember in the movie boiler room the FBI guy wanted the main character to copy down the entire hard drive contents of their stock stuff and gave him a floppy disk and then he uses it later lol.

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
Originally posted by: ISAslot
Shooting the computer to 'destroy' the data.

lol, and usually it is not the computer but the monitor that they shoot.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Originally posted by: ISAslot
Shooting the computer to 'destroy' the data.

Well, bullets to hard-drives would make any data a b!tch to recover (assuming they emptied a mag into the right area), so it's not entirely off-base...

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Independence Day (creating a virus for the alien computer, 'nuff said)
Jurassic Park ("I know this, this is a UNIX system!")
Pretty much any movie that involves hacking
As much as I like the show, 24 has some ridiculous stuff at times

Polish3d

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
Originally posted by: jandrews
Originally posted by: JeepinEd
Did everyone forget Independence Day?
Connecting a Mac to an alien network? Creating a virus that is compatible with said network's operating system?
It's hard enough getting a Mac to talk to a PC...

haha i just watched that yesterday, great movie fun to watch but that ending totally ruins the whole movie, it is so amazingly unrealistic that it just blows me away.

Yeah, they uncleverly extrapolated HG Well's viral ending to War of the Worlds

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
I always hate how nobody is ever using a recognizable OS, with the exception of the mac OS... and sometimes that's not even used when the characters have macs.

jandrews

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2007
Originally posted by: Frackal
Originally posted by: jandrews
Originally posted by: JeepinEd
Did everyone forget Independence Day?
Connecting a Mac to an alien network? Creating a virus that is compatible with said network's operating system?
It's hard enough getting a Mac to talk to a PC...

haha i just watched that yesterday, great movie fun to watch but that ending totally ruins the whole movie, it is so amazingly unrealistic that it just blows me away.

Yeah, they uncleverly extrapolated HG Well's viral ending to War of the Worlds

looking at the characters and the plot and the stripper girlfriend helping the first lady I think this connection was an unintended consequence and surely the writer of the script was not clever enough to make that sort of connection. Strictly low brow entertainment for the masses here.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Injury
I always hate how nobody is ever using a recognizable OS, with the exception of the mac OS... and sometimes that's not even used when the characters have macs.

i wonder how much royalties are to MS to show XP in a movie? thay may be the reason.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
I also think its amazing how everyone is the worlds best typer and never has to use the backspace key. Just once I would like to see someone mistype something a couple of times during a critical moment and have to keep using the backspace key.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Everytime they use a computer in "criminal minds" (mainly that chick)

xeemzor

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2005
Originally posted by: purbeast0
the computer system that the little girl in jurassic park figures out (well the computer system in general in that movie ...)

when they can zoom into pics so that you can see the pores of people's faces.

i once saw something (i think on CSI) where an ATM camera was facing a window where a lady they needed to identify was eating inside a restartuna. there was a glare on the window that completely blocked out the woman. so they ran a filter on it and wala - the glare was gone and you could see the womans face fine.

the computer crap in Enemy of the State when they use the cameras in the bra store to rotate 180 degrees around will smith and "hypothesis" what is in the bag.

The Jurassic Park 3d filesystem was actually a real program that ran on Irix. It's unfortunate that sgi pulled it down a while ago. You can download a clone that runs on *nix here.

potato28

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: Citrix
hasnt this this topic been brought up like 5 times in the past two months? since we have ill add one of mine that has nothing to do with computers.

my pet peeve in movies is the "extra" sound effects they add to guns/knifes/swords. a guy takes his gun out of his holster and the add in the sound of him jacking a round. or if he is waving it somebody its clinking and clacking. and blades, a guy pulls a blade out of leather holster and they add in the sound of a blade going across a honing stick. i dont know what company the studios use to enhance sound effects but they need to tell them to tone it down.

They spend $1000 and go to Wal Mart to buy those toy guns that make all the sounds.

Chadder007

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
the computer system that the little girl in jurassic park figures out (well the computer system in general in that movie ...)

when they can zoom into pics so that you can see the pores of people's faces.

i once saw something (i think on CSI) where an ATM camera was facing a window where a lady they needed to identify was eating inside a restartuna. there was a glare on the window that completely blocked out the woman. so they ran a filter on it and wala - the glare was gone and you could see the womans face fine.

the computer crap in Enemy of the State when they use the cameras in the bra store to rotate 180 degrees around will smith and "hypothesis" what is in the bag.

Anyone else in IT that get asked all the time if that stuff is real?? I started just going ahead telling them yes. :confused:

James Bond

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2005
I hate it when they mix and match in some movies.

You will see someone "hacking" into a computer, and the computer is noticeably a Dell--then they show a close up on the monitor, and its blatantly running MacOS.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: LoKe
so they ran a filter on it and wala - the glare was gone and you could see the womans face fine.

;)
Voila. It's French.

The "wala" thing is a hilarious mistake spread all across the internet.

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
You guys calling out Jurassic Park do realize that is it indeed a UNIX system (IRIX on a silicon graphics box) and that it is a real window manager called FSN right?

That's actually a very realistic scene aside from the fact that she gains a root shell on the system.

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: jman19
so they ran a filter on it and wala - the glare was gone and you could see the womans face fine.

;)
Voila. It's French.

Well, it's the same thing for all intensive purposes.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: Platypus
You guys calling out Jurassic Park do realize that is it indeed a UNIX system (IRIX on a silicon graphics box) and that it is a real window manager called FSN right?

That's actually a very realistic scene aside from the fact that she gains a root shell on the system.

When I saw that you posted in this thread I thought you were going to make a comment about 24 and Chloe/Jack banter :D

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor

;)
Voila. It's French.

Well, it's the same thing for all intensive purposes.

:D

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Platypus

When I saw that you posted in this thread I thought you were going to make a comment about 24 and Chloe/Jack banter :D

DAMN IT CHLOE JUST DO THIS FOR ME

Jack, I can't defeat the poison pill firewall

DAMN IT CHLOE JUST DO THIS FOR ME

:D