Unrealistic portrayals of the IT world that make you laugh

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: Platypus
Originally posted by: jman19
You guys calling out Jurassic Park do realize that is it indeed a UNIX system (IRIX on a silicon graphics box) and that it is a real window manager called FSN right?

That's actually a very realistic scene aside from the fact that she gains a root shell on the system.

When I saw that you posted in this thread I thought you were going to make a comment about 24 and Chloe/Jack banter :D

DAMN IT CHLOE JUST DO THIS FOR ME

Jack, I can't defeat the poison pill firewall

:D

I'm always amazed how he can yell his way through so many situations :)

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor
Originally posted by: LoKe
Originally posted by: purbeast0
so they ran a filter on it and wala - the glare was gone and you could see the womans face fine.

;)
Voila. It's French.

The "wala" thing is a hilarious mistake spread all across the internet.

Well, it's the same thing for all intensive purposes.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
You guys calling out Jurassic Park do realize that is it indeed a UNIX system (IRIX on a silicon graphics box) and that it is a real window manager called FSN right?

That's actually a very realistic scene aside from the fact that she gains a root shell on the system.

When I saw that you posted in this thread I thought you were going to make a comment about 24 and Chloe/Jack banter :D

chloe: ok done. now i'm off to fuck waggy!

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: waggy

This thread isn't about what you were dreaming of last night :p

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

This thread isn't about what you were dreaming of last night :p

hah =)

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001

that'd be kinda creepy with that whole pouty-face thing she does.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

ohh i think she is hot. and anyway..she wouldnt have the pouty-face for long! she will have her O face!

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001

ohh i think she is hot. and anyway..she wouldnt have the pouty-face for long! she will have her O face!

Her O face?

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000

O O O!

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: NeuroSynapsis

Her O face?

O face!

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: NeuroSynapsis

Her O face?

O face!

Oh Oh OH OHHHHHH!

then no more pouty-face at all! change her whole outlook on life.

Ctrackstar126

Jul 14, 2005
Im assuming a lot of you haven't seen die hard 4. I kinda remembering people hacking into anything they want in less than 10 seconds. Even getting a video feed onto "Warlocks" computer the second he wanted it.

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: Citrix
Originally posted by: Injury
I always hate how nobody is ever using a recognizable OS, with the exception of the mac OS... and sometimes that's not even used when the characters have macs.

i wonder how much royalties are to MS to show XP in a movie? thay may be the reason.

Maybe so, but you'd think that with a few subtle ads or something they could get it on there with mutual benefit to both companies.

Even still, the fact that most OSes look like some poorly built flash site running full-screen bothers the hell out of me.

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
For some reason if someone is portraying a hacker, the computer they're using always has 1s and 0s running in the background as though that actually happens in real life. I know it does under the hood but we never see that actually happening in the forefront.

jdini76

Platinum Member
Mar 16, 2001
Originally posted by: jandrews
Originally posted by: JeepinEd
Did everyone forget Independence Day?
Connecting a Mac to an alien network? Creating a virus that is compatible with said network's operating system?
It's hard enough getting a Mac to talk to a PC...

haha i just watched that yesterday, great movie fun to watch but that ending totally ruins the whole movie, it is so amazingly unrealistic that it just blows me away.

Jeff Goldblum is a L33t H@x0r!

Nerva

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2005
Originally posted by: JeepinEd
Did everyone forget Independence Day?
Connecting a Mac to an alien network? Creating a virus that is compatible with said network's operating system?
It's hard enough getting a Mac to talk to a PC...

i thought it was an ibm?

gsellis

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2003
Originally posted by: Injury
I always hate how nobody is ever using a recognizable OS, with the exception of the mac OS... and sometimes that's not even used when the characters have macs.

One of the first JAGS had the female character go "Oh, its Windows 95, I can get into this" and then immediately has a Unix command window.... DOH

Just remember, you can crack any password or encryption by typing faster.

jandrews

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2007
Originally posted by: xeemzor
the computer system that the little girl in jurassic park figures out (well the computer system in general in that movie ...)

when they can zoom into pics so that you can see the pores of people's faces.

i once saw something (i think on CSI) where an ATM camera was facing a window where a lady they needed to identify was eating inside a restartuna. there was a glare on the window that completely blocked out the woman. so they ran a filter on it and wala - the glare was gone and you could see the womans face fine.

the computer crap in Enemy of the State when they use the cameras in the bra store to rotate 180 degrees around will smith and "hypothesis" what is in the bag.

The Jurassic Park 3d filesystem was actually a real program that ran on Irix. It's unfortunate that sgi pulled it down a while ago. You can download a clone that runs on *nix here.
lol yes this is correct, I worked for SGI for a time but it was much towards their latter season and I ended up working for Cray research which SGI bought.

TXHokie

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 1999
But Cap'n, I'm giving it all she's got!!!
SCOTTY, WE NEED WARP NOW!!!
...oops, wrong movie :)

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
Die Hard 4 just pissed me off the other day...between the unrealistic computer scenarios and the unneeded special effects (I like McClane better crawling through an air duct than hanging off the back of a plane) it was my least favorite of the series.

A better question for the OP to ask would be what movies actually were realistic. It was the 2nd Matrix movie I believe that showed Trinity using nmap to shut down the power plant. As previously mentioned the machine in Jurassic Park was a unix box...."It's a UNIX system! I know this!" but that's about all I can think of with realistic computers.

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
Originally posted by: SoulAssassin
Die Hard 4 just pissed me off the other day...between the unrealistic computer scenarios and the unneeded special effects (I like McClane better crawling through an air duct than hanging off the back of a plane) it was my least favorite of the series.

A better question for the OP to ask would be what movies actually were realistic. It was the 2nd Matrix movie I believe that showed Trinity using nmap to shut down the power plant. As previously mentioned the machine in Jurassic Park was a unix box...."It's a UNIX system! I know this!" but that's about all I can think of with realistic computers.

She didn't use nmap to shut it down, she used a known exploit in that version of nmap to gain a root shell.

That was awesome though.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Originally posted by: jandrews
Originally posted by: xeemzor
the computer system that the little girl in jurassic park figures out (well the computer system in general in that movie ...)

when they can zoom into pics so that you can see the pores of people's faces.

i once saw something (i think on CSI) where an ATM camera was facing a window where a lady they needed to identify was eating inside a restartuna. there was a glare on the window that completely blocked out the woman. so they ran a filter on it and wala - the glare was gone and you could see the womans face fine.

the computer crap in Enemy of the State when they use the cameras in the bra store to rotate 180 degrees around will smith and "hypothesis" what is in the bag.

The Jurassic Park 3d filesystem was actually a real program that ran on Irix. It's unfortunate that sgi pulled it down a while ago. You can download a clone that runs on *nix here.
lol yes this is correct, I worked for SGI for a time but it was much towards their latter season and I ended up working for Cray research which SGI bought.

yah i honestly had no clue that was real heh, I was young when it came out and didn't even have a computer back then :eek:

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003

Wow, so that is realistic then? Damn... well I take what I said back. :eek:

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
She didn't use nmap to shut it down, she used a known exploit in that version of nmap to gain a root shell.

that's what I was implying...I wasn't trying to say she used nmap itself to shut it down..sorry for the confusion/bad wording

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Nocturnal
For some reason if someone is portraying a hacker, the computer they're using always has 1s and 0s running in the background as though that actually happens in real life. I know it does under the hood but we never see that actually happening in the forefront.

That's because you didn't buy the l33t model.