Unprecedented heat, tornadoes, flooding, rain

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
Originally posted by: Feldenak
Climate change has been going on since the earth was formed...you'd be an imbecile to not believe in it. As for what impact humans have had...that's up for debate to me.

FTW

Global warming is definitely happening, but that isn't the question up for debate now.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'm actually kinda surprised by the poll...

:confused:

Global warming is a fact.

The Earth is getting warmer, the oceans are getting warmer. This isn't disputed.

What is disputed is the cause.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: eelw
Yes, humanity has screwed up the climate, but nature will take over and correct this. Yes, obviously it won't be during our lifetime, but it will happen.
Ultimately, no, nature won't care.

The problem with any of this climate change isn't that it's going to wipe out humanity. I look at the title: "An Inconvenient Truth" - That's what it is. Inconvenient.
We've got our little "bubble" of predictability that we know and love. We have weather models for a certain set of conditions. If those conditions change, say from a change in average temperatures, the models change. Maybe climates change. People will adapt. Adaptation just tends to be inconvenient. Think of a local job market as an environment. If that local market changes and you can't find work, you move to another place that has work. But moving is a bit of a pain in the ass. It's inconvenient. But you'll survive just fine.

I think it's safer to err on the side of caution. Carbon dioxide is a greenhouse gas. That sort of thing is easy to test - measure its spectral response in a laboratory. If something prevents infrared from passing through, it can cause a greenhouse effect. That's why a car gets hot in the sun. Light enters at non-infrared wavelengths, hits the interior, and warms up those surfaces. However, the glass is opaque to infrared, so that heat cannot be re-radiated out into space. Result: Your car gets hot as hell in a very short amount of time.
We are also releasing carbon that was fixed by nature millions of years ago. Is it enough to have an effect on temperatures? Maybe. Combustion of hydrocarbons certainly does have other detrimental effects. Go enjoy a lungfull of LA/Hong Kong/London smog. And then there are the political issues that come about concerning ownership and access to reserves of certain fuel reserves, even leading to violent conflict over said access rights.

Work to solve the latter problem of fossil fuel dependence, and the former will become much less of an issue.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Eli

The Earth is getting warmer, the oceans are getting warmer. This isn't disputed.

The poll is the obvious effect we see when the subject matter started by the OP is so completely beaten to death / lame / stupid, that the majority take it out on the OP by voting/responding completely out of spite.

I voted no even though I realize global warming is a fact. I voted no because I'm voting against retardation.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Originally posted by: legoman666
Originally posted by: Cdubneeddeal
Well do you?

you're a idiot if you believe that 1 summer of bad weather = global warming.

God damned sheep.

yeah, but 10 summers?

...still not convinced :roll:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Originally posted by: legoman666
Originally posted by: Pale Rider
I try to waste as many resources as possible. That way humans will evolve faster out of necessity...

I like the way you think.

*lights another tire on fire, clubs a baby seal, and drives his hummer to the river and dumps 50 gallons of oil in*

damn you! I could have sold that oil to a crack-addicted divorced lesbian mom for $600!!

:(

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Originally posted by: bunnyfubbles
Originally posted by: Eli

The poll is the obvious effect we see when the subject matter started by the OP is so completely beaten to death / lame / stupid, that the majority take it out on the OP by voting/responding completely out of spite.

I voted no even though I realize global warming is a fact. I voted no because I'm voting against retardation.

LoL

:beer:

(even though I voted "yes," I agree with your logic)

BTW: it's "climate change."
...and only because "global warming" has become too simple of a fact for the mouth breathers to understand. So, all your bases are covered. You [the royal "you" = trolls] may rest easy with your long winters, and dry, sweltering summers...if need be.
:p

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
lol, climate change. It only became climate change after scientists told us the earth has been cooling for a decade.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
lol, climate change. It only became climate change after scientists told us the earth has been cooling for a decade.

it warms and cools in cycles.

just as it always has. we learn this through research

or, you could be comfortable trusting the group that tells you that you were created from dirt, and that your womenz were created from your rib. and you are not allowed to question this, btw.
...and yet, several centuries later, this same group agreed that you came from monkeys based on the info spread by those "heathens" who introduced you to climate change (so said JP II).

so, take it how you want it

;)

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
Originally posted by: zinfamous

Of course it does, which is the point most reasonable people have been making for years.

Listening to someone who tells you that you are made from dirt is about as smart as listening to someone who tells you earth will continue to warm until everything is under water (sort of like a big flood - where have I heard that before, maybe from those other people).

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

Of course it does, which is the point most reasonable people have been making for years.

Listening to someone who tells you that you are made from dirt is about as smart as listening to someone who tells you earth will continue to warm until everything is under water (sort of like a big flood - where have I heard that before, maybe from those other people).

You can always think about it this way:

We sure-as-shit know that we didn't come from dirt.

Yet, there is an extremely likely chance that we are in the middle of a drastic global climate flux, seeing as how that's what our planet does, and we happen to fall within the 6 or so centuries when that is expected to happen.

Now, us being humans, we're pretty badass for knowing such things. We also know that we have likely (probably 20-30%; certainly no more) contributed to this event. More importantly, however, we're SO BADASS that we can probably slow down, and reduce these effects.

Holy shit! we rule.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
6,602,224,175 and counting
natural disasters fail at murderizing

AIDS!!!!!!!!!

was gods way of slowing global warmings... but we defied him!

next stop? black death 2.0!!
w00t!

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
6,602,224,175 and counting
natural disasters fail at murderizing

AIDS!!!!!!!!!

was gods way of slowing global warmings... but we defied him!

but what if He comes back with MOAR AIDS!!!!!!!?

maybe it's AIDZ 2.x?

Oh NOES!!!! :shocked:

EDIT: lol at your edit ;)

frostedflakes

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005

Carbon dioxide is a greenhouse gas, and we are releasing it (and other greenhouse gases) into the air at unprecedented rates. It's not a baseless conclusion, if we release enough CO2 into the atmosphere, global climate change can occur. Look at Venus, whose atmosphere is largely CO2. It's suspected that at one point in time it had water like Earth. However, a runaway greenhouse effect took place. Now it's average surface temperature is higher than Mercury's, even though it receives only a fraction of the solar energy.

What's up for debate is how large our impact is. I'd tend to think that currently it is not enough to cause any significant climate change, but I'm also of the opinion that we're better safe than sorry. I'm all for doing whatever is reasonable and practical to maintain a more carbon-neutral existence. It would have to be done eventually anyways, as there is only so much dino fuel we can pump out of the ground.