Unplug those consoles to save $$ on your electric bill

Wheezer

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
Lifehacker

A new study by Australian consumer agency Choice shows that game consoles, especially the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360, use significant power even when they're not in use.

"Our tests found that leaving a Playstation 3 on while not in use would cost almost... five times more than it would take to run a refrigerator for the same yearly period," said the study which was published on Choice's web site.

Right behind the Playstation and Xbox in the electricity-sucking list is plasma televisions and desktop computers. To save money on your bill, turn off the power strip the consoles and TV is plugged into instead of relying solely on the remote control. Here are more ways you can save energy while computing.

slugg

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Wow. Seriously? Have any other related studies been done?

edit: I just find it incredibly hard to believe...

Kappo

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2000
I tried this for a month, btw.

Turned off my plasma TV and PS3 (from the powerstrip), and always shutdown and unplugged my PCs (2 desktops and 1 laptop). I saved $6 from the previous month...

CptCrunch

Golden Member
Jan 31, 2005
get a kill-a-watt and see for yourself how much that appliance is costing you when it's on and when it's idle. Might surprise you how much electricity your tv, ps3 etc is using, and it could confirm or bust this story.

Personally I found the xBox (original) to use 120 watts in use, and 2 watts when standby. For Reference, 2 watts will cost me about 12 cents a month if let run in standby for 24x7. TV on the other hand, uses 5 watts at standby (25 cents) and 180-220 watts when on.

biggestmuff

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2001
What size refrigerator was used in their test and how did they test the refrigerator? Did the test with the refrigerator include when the compressor cycled?

EDIT: Article

You have to click, "Next Page >" at the end of each section. There's a chart comparing several devices.

May 31, 2001
I remember reading something along these lines on a news site a few months ago. I think they claimed that microwave ovens were another culprit for using "stand-by" electricity.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
Originally posted by: biggestmuff
What size refrigerator was used in their test and how did they test the refrigerator? Did the test with the refrigerator include when the compressor cycled?

hmmmm, so you know of a refrigerator that will go an entire year without ever going thru the compressor cycle?

biggestmuff

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2001
Originally posted by: PlatinumGold

hmmmm, so you know of a refrigerator that will go an entire year without ever going thru the compressor cycle?

That's what I'm asking. Did they just measure a fridge when the compressor cycle was off to get a really low rating then compare that to a PS3 and Xbox 360?

bonkers325

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
i turn off the power strip for my living room entertainment center (LCD tv, wii, HTPC, and speakers) and shaved off about $10/mo on my electric bill

IamBusby

Dec 12, 2001
that must be rubbish surely. I really can't see a xbox360 or a playstation 3 on standby using more than a fridge.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
"Our tests found that leaving a Playstation 3 on while not in use would cost almost..."

Not plugged in, but ON. It won't use nearly that much when turned off but left plugged in. Some people do actually leave their consoles on when not using them, and I have no idea why.

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
Originally posted by: mugs
"Our tests found that leaving a Playstation 3 on while not in use would cost almost..."

Not plugged in, but ON. It won't use nearly that much when turned off but left plugged in. Some people do actually leave their consoles on when not using them, and I have no idea why.
i did when i was testing folding. and used it as a space heater (ok, that didn't work out too well, heh).

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000

Hmmm... interesting sneak they did there.

ChaosDivine

May 23, 2008
That's just dumb, especially with the 360's RROD problem. I definitely turn mine off, since I added a few extra fans to ensure better airflow (hooked up to an external switch and DC wallwart so that MS can't see 'em).

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
PG&E is pushing this as well. Ther're running radio and tv spots telling people how much energy they can save, and how much CO2 they can avoid putting into the atmosphere by doing this.

"Unplug your electronic devices: Unplugging your television, DVD player, stereo, and computer when you're not using them will save thousands of pounds of CO2 a year."

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
i havent really tried this, but wont your cable box/tv/router/etc lose all their settings when unplugged from the wall/power strip being turned off?

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Sheik Yerbouti
If I'm not using it, it's not on. Why would you leave it running?

Some people can't stand waiting a few seconds for the console to boot-up.

Bignate603

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Tons of electronics have standby usage. Many times, it's much higher than you would think. If you just switch off the power strip it's a pretty good way to cut down on power usage.

PlasmaBomb

Lifer
Nov 19, 2004

I know plenty that will go through a half hour testing period without cycling. The article doesn't say how long it tested in each power state...

Linky
In fact I don't even see a fridge in the test line up...

Originally posted by: BoomerD
PG&E is pushing this as well. Ther're running radio and tv spots telling people how much energy they can save, and how much CO2 they can avoid putting into the atmosphere by doing this.

"Unplug your electronic devices: Unplugging your television, DVD player, stereo, and computer when you're not using them will save thousands of pounds of CO2 a year."

From the article unplugging your PS3/360 saves you a massive $2.33/3.16 a year over having them just turned off.

Leaving them on and idling costs money {duh}...

You can save considerably more by turning your PC off at the socket ($9.57 /year). Why did they not test PCs in standby??

StrangeRanger

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999

ya, it's called an ice box
j

elektrolokomotive

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2004
Originally posted by: Aharami
i havent really tried this, but wont your cable box/tv/router/etc lose all their settings when unplugged from the wall/power strip being turned off?

Bingo. I'm not especially interested in reprogramming my TV every time I turn it on. Be kind of hard to use my DVR to record programs, too.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Pretty much everything uses electricity when plugged in, even off. The extra $.36 a month my 360 uses when left plugged in but off - not going to worry about it.