university of phoenix

Noobtastic

Banned
Jul 9, 2005
I hear employers prefer applicants with degrees from community college than university of phoenix.

what do you guys think?

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Each employer is different, so you'd really have to ask THEM. I know engineering companies that generally steer clear from our 4.0 students because they in general are so wrapped up in books and stuff that they aren't very personable.

So every company has their own little ticks and you'll have to find it out on a case by case basis.

wetcat007

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2002
If you need to goto a online school find a public college/university to goto that has online classes(if that's what you're looking for), it will carry more credibility with it. Public universities and colleges also cost a fraction as much as University of Phoenix.

PHiuR

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
the superbowl was played at university of phoenix...that must mean something!

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
My 7th grade science teacher got her masters at University of Pheonix. I think she ended up getting a real job somewhere because she left after she got it.

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
You guys are freaking funny. If they're accredited, the curriculum can't be that far from anything out there. And it's college, it's up to the student to learn so just because you went to some other schools that specialized in drinking and pahteeing, doesn't mean you know more. While it's socially hyped (much like designer bags, jeans, etc...), doesn't mean you're getting more for your money, or education in this case.

It all boils down to how one apply oneself. Same can be said for technical schools, I tend to think that they concentrate more on the technical and less of the bullshits (electives).

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
Some of these 'schools' are more focused on padding their profits with student loans than in education.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
I think it depends on the degree.
If someone is studying chemistry, doing it online is going to be a bad idea.
Sure you can learn the theory, but you will have no hands on experience.
There are some things that can't be learned from reading about it.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Originally posted by: Mermaidman
Some of these 'schools' are more focused on padding their profits with student loans than in education.

Exactly !
Westwood Online is one of those.
A friend wanted to take art classes their so he came to me for advice.
I noticed the first thing they wanted to talk to him about was financing.
Next they wanted to sell him a bunch of overpriced junk, an artist easel and paint set for 495.00.
It sells online for 59.95.

Sadly they fool some people into it.

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
Originally posted by: SSSnail
You guys are freaking funny. If they're accredited, the curriculum can't be that far from anything out there. And it's college, it's up to the student to learn so just because you went to some other schools that specialized in drinking and pahteeing, doesn't mean you know more. While it's socially hyped (much like designer bags, jeans, etc...), doesn't mean you're getting more for your money, or education in this case.

It all boils down to how one apply oneself. Same can be said for technical schools, I tend to think that they concentrate more on the technical and less of the bullshits (electives).
COUld not disagree more. No way UoP gives you the same level of education as say ... Stanford. Not to mention Stanford can give it to you at a fraction of the price

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005

Are you kidding? Have you looked at who "accredited" them?

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
Originally posted by: Mo0o

COUld not disagree more. No way UoP gives you the same level of education as say ... Stanford. Not to mention Stanford can give it to you at a fraction of the price
But but, it required smarts to get into Stanford. And I don't think it's cheap any ways you look at it. And you're comparing the extremes, not even fair.

While true that most of these online schools are geared towards benefits, else why would they exist? They also give a mean to people that cannot attend a regular univ., because they maybe working to support their families, late realization, moving around too much, etc...

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004

Agreed. Each school is known for various levels of quality at each degree. Employers know this and depending on the degree with prioritize certain schools over others because they're known to be at a higher quality of teaching.

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001

But but, it required smarts to get into Stanford. And I don't think it's cheap any ways you look at it. And you're comparing the extremes, not even fair.

While true that most of these online schools are geared towards benefits, else why would they exist? They also give a mean to people that cannot attend a regular univ., because they maybe working to support their families, late realization, moving around too much, etc...
Then they should attend a community college where they get access to real professors. Not sure how much UoP is but Stanford just waive tuition fees from families making less than 100K and free room+board for those making less than 60K so it could very well be cheaper.

PHiuR

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001

Then they should attend a community college where they get access to real professors. Not sure how much UoP is but Stanford just waive tuition fees from families making less than 100K and free room+board for those making less than 60K so it could very well be cheaper.

You act as though Stanford accepts anyone and everyone that applies.

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
Originally posted by: PHiuR

You act as though Stanford accepts anyone and everyone that applies.
But the comparison is bout quality of education vs. money spent, not who can get access to it. UoP is probably a good choice for someone with no other access to higher educaiton, but that doesn't make the quality of education equal as long as you apply yourself

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
Actually, the original argument was between CC and UoP. You threw Stanford and cost in.

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
Actually, the original argument was between CC and UoP. You threw Stanford and cost in.
The way you worded your post just implied regular college rather than CC only. I still think CC is better since you get direct access to professors and peers

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
The way you worded your post just implied regular college rather than CC only. I still think CC is better since you get direct access to professors and peers
I'm sure a bunch of online colleges will require you to come to class every once in a while. I tend to think they'd have videos of lectures as well.

And regular college is not Stanford.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Your degree really matters most when landing your first job. After that work experience > degree (for MOST cases).

LS21

Banned
Nov 27, 2007
i like how UP sponsored a large sports stadium to try to legitimize their name towards the laymen....