University mistakenly identifies President Abraham Lincoln as a Democrat

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AViking

Platinum Member
Sep 12, 2013
You cannot honestly believe that the majority of Republicans today would support slavery. Both sides are guilty of propaganda, however if people honestly believe this they need a more open minded and fair perspective.

No. I think the party would though. Most people that I know who vote republican (quite a bit) completely ignore the religious right wing, anti abortion, anti homosexual, etc part of the party and simply vote because they want lower capital gains and to put more money in their pocket. I think today's right wing party would absolutely be against abolition and they would justify it by being better for business and then offer a tax break for "all" Americans in order to get their vote.

I voted for the Republicans for almost 15 years based on this. Fiscally conservative and socially liberal. Ultimately I saw that the Republicans were not fiscally conservative and were a bunch of lunatics so I registered as an independent and have been voting that way for a handful of years now.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Let me just say it plainly: Some of you really are imbeciles if you think the Republican party in 2013 would support human slavery in the United States. The hell is wrong with you? I understand you hate Republicans, but for heavens's sake put that damn crack pipe down. It is idiotic character assassination without a single shred whatsoever of evidence to support it. It belies a blind rage and hatred that you should address.

MrColin

Platinum Member
May 21, 2003
bwhahahhah oops. i just question how they could make such a error. wow
Probably because Lincoln is best known for emancipating the slaves, and today's Republican party would unanimously support slavery.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Let me just say it plainly: Some of you really are imbeciles if you think the Republican party in 2013 would support human slavery in the United States. The hell is wrong with you? I understand you hate Republicans, but for heavens's sake put that damn crack pipe down. It is idiotic character assassination without a single shred whatsoever of evidence to support it. It belies a blind rage and hatred that you should address.
Their posts show just how deep we are in trouble in the nation. It's one thing to have a thought cross your mind, it's another thing to come to believe it and it's a whole other level to express it. They not only think the Republican party would embrace slavery, they have no qualms about telling the world how they feel. It's crazy talk to many of us but it's gospel to them.

I hate to sound like a broken record but the degree of brainwashing that is coming out of our schools is alarming. This way of looking at the world will divide the nation eventually. Remember that this was not a one generation "experiment" done in our schools, this is an implementation of policy over successive generations. Portions of Colorado are voting today for succession. It doesn't matter that it wont happen regardless of the outcome of the vote. It's the fact that it's actually happening that is the cause for concern.

See the post above this one. I rest my case.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
You cannot honestly believe that the majority of Republicans today would support slavery. Both sides are guilty of propaganda, however if people honestly believe this they need a more open minded and fair perspective.

Lincoln was responsible for the deaths of 60,000,000 Americans in the Revolutionary war to end the states rights of backward Southern bigots so that all those bigots could become Republicans when Johnson fought the Civil war against them all over again to grant the same rights to Black people. This is why it is said today that a Southern virgin is a 12 year old girl that can outrun her brother and why every intellectual knows that Lincoln was a Democrat just like Johnson and now Obama who is fighting the Health Care wars to bring those congenital idiots the health care they need.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
No. I think the party would though. Most people that I know who vote republican (quite a bit) completely ignore the religious right wing, anti abortion, anti homosexual, etc part of the party and simply vote because they want lower capital gains and to put more money in their pocket. I think today's right wing party would absolutely be against abolition and they would justify it by being better for business and then offer a tax break for "all" Americans in order to get their vote.

I voted for the Republicans for almost 15 years based on this. Fiscally conservative and socially liberal. Ultimately I saw that the Republicans were not fiscally conservative and were a bunch of lunatics so I registered as an independent and have been voting that way for a handful of years now.
Charles, is that you?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Their posts show just how deep we are in trouble in the nation. It's one thing to have a thought cross your mind, it's another thing to come to believe it and it's a whole other level to express it. They not only think the Republican party would embrace slavery, they have no qualms about telling the world how they feel. It's crazy talk to many of us but it's gospel to them.

I hate to sound like a broken record but the degree of brainwashing that is coming out of our schools is alarming. This way of looking at the world will divide the nation eventually. Remember that this was not a one generation "experiment" done in our schools, this is an implementation of policy over successive generations. Portions of Colorado are voting today for succession. It doesn't matter that it wont happen regardless of the outcome of the vote. It's the fact that it's actually happening that is the cause for concern.

See the post above this one. I rest my case.

Fine words from a slave whose prison is an altered reality caused by a mental defect he can't begin to see as identified by a science he can't comprehend, a marching moron sent out by the rich to keep him perpetually in that state of servitude as a wind up egomaniac stuffed full of an inculcated pile of propagandistic bull shit.

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
Fine words from a slave whose prison is an altered reality caused by a mental defect he can't begin to see as identified by a science he can't comprehend, a marching moron sent out by the rich to keep him perpetually in that state of servitude as a wind up egomaniac stuffed full of an inculcated pile of propagandistic bull shit.

I can think of nothing more vulgar or demeaning than to dismiss your ideological opponents as defective. It is the central evil in the rationalizations of racists; That those different than you are inferior by nature.

Last edited:

MrColin

Platinum Member
May 21, 2003

These widely held assumptions didn't just come out of thin air. The values upheld by recent R-branded politicians have largely served to: raise barriers to entry for new businesses, curtail accountability for existing business' abuse of people, slashing actual protections of individual freedom (ironically in the name of protecting freedom), raising taxes on the poor for the benefit of the rich, sending the poor to fight wars for the sole benefit of the rich. Explain to me how supporting slavery is inconsistent with these values. If the topic of slavery were on the table for public debate, Republicans would surely support it, espousing the argument that the <marginalized class of citizens here> aren't pulling their own weight.
I believe the R is just playing "bad-cop" to the D's "good-cop" though. People of both parties have been outed for having slaves and trafficked captive workers in recent years.

AViking

Platinum Member
Sep 12, 2013

I think we're talking about two separate things. I'm saying that if there was slavery today the Republican party would support it. They would be against abolition and for big business.

Do I think that the Republican party is going to start advocating slavery tomorrow? Of course not.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I can think of nothing more vulgar or demeaning than to dismiss your ideological opponents as defective. It is the central evil in the rationalizations of racists; That those different than you are inferior by nature.

What on earth is wrong with you? Don't answer. I already know. All that vulgarity and demeaning dismissiveness you think you see in me is your projection. It is what you feel and you are feeling it to them and to me. Nice. You have exposed me to your own rationalization as a racist by pointing to my inferiority. Don't assume that what I do is what you do. I am a mirror. I show what is true. It's you who puts the negative spin on it. Trust me. I know you can't help what you do or how you see me. I don't mind at all that you insult me. I don't have any opponents nor do I have an ideology. We are all the same and truth is being.

I know you have the best intentions and that you don't like to cause folk pain. But just imagine if all these idiots I criticize are actually in deep pain and don't know it, don't know they don't know, and don't want to know they don't want to know. How are you going to reach them and how will what you say one way or another make the slightest difference? Shall we pat them on the head and walk away? What do you do with a little bird in your hand that's dying? And what if that bird is you?

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Lincoln was responsible for the deaths of 60,000,000 Americans in the Revolutionary war to end the states rights of backward Southern bigots so that all those bigots could become Republicans when Johnson fought the Civil war against them all over again to grant the same rights to Black people. This is why it is said today that a Southern virgin is a 12 year old girl that can outrun her brother and why every intellectual knows that Lincoln was a Democrat just like Johnson and now Obama who is fighting the Health Care wars to bring those congenital idiots the health care they need.

60,000,000 deaths, that sure is a lot back then.

You continue to place are too much stock in that article you stumbled upon about republican brain defects. You cling to it like a zealot. Why do you so hate republicans? What is your essential defect to loathe them so?

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
I think we're talking about two separate things. I'm saying that if there was slavery today the Republican party would support it. They would be against abolition and for big business.

Do I think that the Republican party is going to start advocating slavery tomorrow? Of course not.

So you are saying IF the US still had slavery republicans would be for it. Fine, I will grant you that. However, in return I desire you to achlnowledge that IF we had the colosseum and gladiatorial combat in which each week there is a televised event consisting of 4 impoverished people who fight to the death a random CEO that the democrats would support that.

AViking

Platinum Member
Sep 12, 2013
So you are saying IF the US still had slavery republicans would be for it. Fine, I will grant you that. However, in return I desire you to achlnowledge that IF we had the colosseum and gladiatorial combat in which each week there is a televised event consisting of 4 impoverished people who fight to the death a random CEO that the democrats would support that.

lol I like you. If you're ever in Sweden I'll buy you a beer. :thumbsup:

"NEXT UP WE HAVE 4 HIGH SCHOOL DROP OUTS WITH METAL CLUBS, AXES, AND SWORDS AGAINST BILL GATES WITH A HAND GRENADE!

We'll be right back after these important messages from our sponsors"

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Doppel: 60,000,000 deaths, that sure is a lot back then.

Well it was the Revolutionary war so maybe it was 600,000,000.

D: You continue to place are too much stock in that article you stumbled upon about republican brain defects. You cling to it like a zealot. Why do you so hate republicans? What is your essential defect to loathe them so?

M: I am a conservative and have a conservative brain defect. I find anything different than me disgusting. Republicans are just like having a big mouthful of worms and what, you want me to smile? And what's your problem with my zealotry and loathing. It's a free country and there's laws against monopoly. What's good for the goose.........

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Lets face it. If the nation still had slavery today and there were a drive to end slavery, republicans and that includes all republicans in the house and most all in the senate, would die to defend the right to own slaves.
As well as faux news talk, right wing talk radio, and right wing religion.
And you know that is true.

Actually it wouldn't be that hard to see the Democratic Party supporting slavery.

Simply define black people as not people(works for abortion). Obsess over the "rights" of slaveowners and call any abolitionist a bigot. Maybe throw in some freeing slaves is a "war on women" because where will women get cheap nannys? :confused:

Plus we all know that Republicans are poor(hence why the red states suck at the govt teat ;) ) and so all the slaves would be owned by Democrats:whiste:

AViking

Platinum Member
Sep 12, 2013
Lincoln - Revolutionary War - 60 million deaths. Why argue with insanity?

ROFLMAO!

Seriously I have tears in my eyes. He wins. He's the craziest one in this thread.

We lost 600,000 in the Civil War. Lincoln was born 26 years after the Revolutionary War where we lost about 25,000 people.

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
What on earth is wrong with you? Don't answer. I already know. All that vulgarity and demeaning dismissiveness you think you see in me is your projection. It is what you feel and you are feeling it to them and to me. Nice. You have exposed me to your own rationalization as a racist by pointing to my inferiority. Don't assume that what I do is what you do. I am a mirror. I show what is true. It's you who puts the negative spin on it. Trust me. I know you can't help what you do or how you see me. I don't mind at all that you insult me. I don't have any opponents nor do I have an ideology. We are all the same and truth is being.

I know you have the best intentions and that you don't like to cause folk pain. But just imagine if all these idiots I criticize are actually in deep pain and don't know it, don't know they don't know, and don't want to know they don't want to know. How are you going to reach them and how will what you say one way or another make the slightest difference? Shall we pat them on the head and walk away? What do you do with a little bird in your hand that's dying? And what if that bird is you?

My cat regularly kills birds under my bed, they are usually starlings and robins which are considered nuisances. One day he was killing a starling under my bed at 6 or 7 in the morning on a weekend, and its squawking made it impossible for me to sleep. As I got up the bird escaped and proceeded to ricochet from wall to wall; My cat had ripped out its tail feathers to make it easier to play with. I caught the bird and took it outside, it had deep wounds in its back and chest, was missing large patches of feathers; Some of which were plastered to its eyes, its beak was hanging open and I could feel its heart beating very quickly in fear. Another starling was sitting on my patio squawking loudly and craning its head; I can only assume it was the mate of my cat's victim. I gently picked the feathers out of its eyes, and stroked it on the head a few times. There was nothing to be done for the bird so I set it next to its mate, which did not seem to mind me doing so, then walked back inside the house. The starlings did not attempt to fly away. After a minute or so I let my cat out. He didn't play with it anymore, but pounced on the starling and finished it quickly.

Why are you so defensive Moonbeam? Deflectors to full power!

Last edited:

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
My cat regularly kills birds under my bed, they are usually starlings and robins which are considered nuisances. One day he was killing a starling under my bed at 6 or 7 in the morning on a weekend, and its squawking made it impossible for me to sleep. As I got up the bird escaped and proceeded to ricochet from wall to wall; My cat had ripped out its tail feathers to make it easier to play with. I caught the bird and took it outside, it had deep wounds in its back and chest, was missing large patches of feathers; Some of which were plastered to its eyes, its beak was hanging open and I could feel its heart beating very quickly in fear. Another starling was sitting on my patio squawking loudly and craning its head; I can only assume it was the mate of my cat's victim. I gently picked the feathers out of its eyes stroked it on the head a few times. There was nothing to be done for the bird so I set it next to its mate, which did not seem to mind me doing so, then walked back inside the house. After a minute or so I let my cat out. He didn't play with it anymore, but pounced on it and finished it quickly.

Why are you so defensive Moonbeam? Deflectors to full power!

You didn't take in a thing I said.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
ROFLMAO!

Seriously I have tears in my eyes. He wins. He's the craziest one in this thread.

We lost 600,000 in the Civil War. Lincoln was born 26 years after the Revolutionary War where we lost about 25,000 people.

Crazy generous!