University mistakenly identifies President Abraham Lincoln as a Democrat

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
Republicans/democrats today is nothing near what those parties were back in the day.

it's not that bad of a mistake

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
Not sure what is more entertaining in this thread. The fail or the butthurt. Tough choice.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
..and democrats of yesterday are not the KOOKS that populate the democrat party of today. It's not your fathers democrat party.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Republicans/democrats today is nothing near what those parties were back in the day.

it's not that bad of a mistake
It is about as stupid as having a plaque and saying the civil war ended in 1874. I mean really what do a few years difference make anyway.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Yeah, an error typed on an overlay flashed on a screen is the same thing as a permanent plaque that multiple people had to approve, agree on the message, make, and put up on display with apparently not one of them bright enough to spot the obvious glaring error... blah blah blah

..and in true hack fashion, you try to seize on an example but deliver it in the singular tense and try to downplay and dismiss the causes. Why, it's almost like you totally excuse one of the largest "news" orgs repeatedly fudging current day knowledge while at the same time you've convinced yourself it's really just an issue of some guy making a slip of the finger. I'll tell you what's glaring; your belief that Fox is in any way callous with how their message is delivered. You do realize that any of these networks have teams of people working on individual stories, which are then vetted by superiors before making it to prime time, yes? Fox is actually quite devoted to giving all news a serious edit, and even then only allowing politically neutral or advantageous news for republicans to be delivered in exactly the manner they wish.

Stop being naive. It's making your worn out reference to Idiocracy seem even more lame on top of the normal republican defense you always offer.

This looks like a similar incident that happened with the 9/11 memorial not long ago. Names of the victims had been public knowledge for years, and the planning for the project exhaustive. Yet somehow mistakes made it onto stone work.
No dittohead boogeymen like places of higher learning were involved that time around though, so I guess with no outrage to cling to it kinda flies under the radar that this kind of thing really can happen despite it's somewhat hilarious/sad nature.

Anyone know of any other examples of this dastardly agenda to cloud Lincoln's true party affiliation? Sounds serious. Just think of all the current day issues that could get get screwed up as a result at the election booth! Someone call Glenn Beck, we gotta have this money followed before Zaap's favorite movie is a certainty!

Last edited:

schmuckley

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2011
..It's a pretty serious Faux Pax thugh.I mean Lincoln pretty much brought about the Republican party..

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
They should consult with the English Department if they decide to change the plaque. As it's written, some students may be wondering who Abraham Democrat is.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Close enough:

800px-Electionlincoln.png

electoral_custom-534689544e8a9f6d3b86ae2e75bec4c4bc9bfe9d-s40-c85.jpg

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
it's from the same alarmist KOOKS that think the sky is falling (global cooling / warming / climate change / unseasonable weather.)

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
the party of lincoln has always been the same while the party of jackson had done a damn near 180 when wilson was nominated and there was to be no going back after that.

unokitty

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2012
Damn...my youngest daughter is seriously thinking about going to Northwestern.

If you can afford it, I'd encourage your daughter to consider Northwestern.

The University in question is Northeastern Illinois University whose mandate is "to offer such courses of instruction as shall best serve to qualify teachers for the schools of the State."

Curious, does Illinois still put "Land of Lincoln" on their license plates?

Uno

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
http://redalertpolitics.com/2013/11/04/university-mistakenly-identifies-president-abraham-lincoln-as-a-democrat/

In an attempt to honor President Abraham Lincoln, the Jacob Carruthers Center for Inner City Studies at Northeastern Illinois University displayed a plague for the 16th President. But the display features one glaring error

This building is dedicated to public service honoring the memory of Abraham Lincoln Democrat,” the plague reads.

President Lincoln, though, was not a Democrat, but a Republican.

bwhahahhah oops. i just question how they could make such a error. wow

Formerly known as Fox University? Or arts college?

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
...and right on cue, as if to answer xBiffx's question...

Definitely the butthurt is more entertaining than the fail.

Trust me, hacks like you contorting to justify double standards in no way causes me even the slightest discomfort. Far from it!

If I wanted to troll the fail as per your example, laughing at the slow news day circle jerk material in here is hardly the way to do it. I'd have to step it up, you know, get serious! Maybe I could find an inconsequential bit of news and proclaim it as evidence for mass IQ loss?

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Plaque should be changed to:

Abe Lincoln the Northern Aggressor and Invalid President of 1864 to his death.

Last edited:

AViking

Platinum Member
Sep 12, 2013
I think Lincoln stirred in his grave and begged to not be identified with the Republican party. They should have left the party affiliation off completely.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Lets face it. If the nation still had slavery today and there were a drive to end slavery, republicans and that includes all republicans in the house and most all in the senate, would die to defend the right to own slaves.
As well as faux news talk, right wing talk radio, and right wing religion.
And you know that is true.

House republicans now block any bill to end discrimination for gay and lesbian people in the work place by suggesting to pass such a bill would hurt business.
WTF???

As to slavery, if we had slavery today, had slave owners, does anyone really believe for one single minute that one single right wing republican would allow the passing of any bill to put an end to slavery in todays world?
To allow slaves to go free, and thus costing millions to slave owners and related business that use slaves as labor?
Of course republicans would never allow such an end.
Never.

John Boehner would stand and defend the ownership of slaves.
Rush Limbaugh would find plenty of reasons to defend slave ownership.
Right wing religion would use Bible quotes to defend slave ownership.
And besides, it is good for business, they would all say.

They would insist slavery is supported by Biblical scripture.
Slavery is the backbone of business.
Right wing republicans would see no reason to address slavery.
And everyone knows that is exactly how it would come down in politics today.

In todays world, the democrats would unanimously fight against slavery.
Fight for the end of slavery.
And house republicans would do everything and anything to ensure slavery continued, unchallenged, justifying slavery exactly as they now justify social injustice.
And we all know that. We know that.

So when you hear right wing republicans claiming to be pro minority, pro social justice, pro anything they actually fight against, they are fooling no one.
Just as with the current attempts by democrats to end discrimination in the work place, republicans would use their special perverted logic to defend workplace injustice.
Just exactly as they would if we still had slavery today.
And everybody know that.
We all know that.

AViking

Platinum Member
Sep 12, 2013
That's a sad thing to think about. I agree though. Republicans today are insane and are definitely not the party of Lincoln.

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
You cannot honestly believe that the majority of Republicans today would support slavery. Both sides are guilty of propaganda, however if people honestly believe this they need a more open minded and fair perspective.