Unions & Cadillac Tax

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sciwizam

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2004
Read this analogy somewhere: Almost as if George Bush had said: "Join the National Rifle Association and we'll cut your income taxes."

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008
So we're still getting national healthca..... wait nope. National insurance? not that either.

I guess we're still just getting screwed and the government is telling me my benefits are too good.

Welcome to the free market and the global economy.

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
Glad to see the Obama administration creating yet another special class of American.

What happened to "no special interests"?

Welcome to the free market and the global economy.

What exactly is "free market" about government mandates?

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
I've tried to pay minimal attention to what was going on until we get closer to the final product. Doing so is only stressful, wondering exactly what's going to happen with a tax on insurance.

But, I don't think some of you have really thought about how a tax on some people's health insurance would harm those people. There are plenty of people in unions who have negotiated excellent health insurance benefits at the expense of their salaries. There are people making 50k out there who have expensive insurance plans such as these. Do you realize that the tax on their insurance plan equates to their take home pay decreasing by nearly 20%??! Yeah, give the people in the unions a little time to renegotiate their contracts. Thanks.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
I've tried to pay minimal attention to what was going on until we get closer to the final product. Doing so is only stressful, wondering exactly what's going to happen with a tax on insurance.

But, I don't think some of you have really thought about how a tax on some people's health insurance would harm those people. There are plenty of people in unions who have negotiated excellent health insurance benefits at the expense of their salaries. There are people making 50k out there who have expensive insurance plans such as these. Do you realize that the tax on their insurance plan equates to their take home pay decreasing by nearly 20%??! Yeah, give the people in the unions a little time to renegotiate their contracts. Thanks.

I agree but union workers aren't the only ones that have done the same, given up pay for benefits. But these folks will get the screw without the 2018 tax free extension. Not fair in my book. Good to be Puffy's friend.

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
How corrupt can a government get.
Unions get exemption form a tax in a bill written by Democrats.

....totally unrelated....

Unions are busing people in to campaign for the Democrat candidate in MA.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
They could also be hopping them up on drugs like Gary Busey, then bussing them in to vote.

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002

Lol

That's how it works in the rest of the world too.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I wonder if we will see law suits over this as well.

The government treating citizens differently. Sounds like a perfect set up for a challenge on equal protection grounds.

Equal protection is for when there's no 'legitimate' difference, Things like Nebraska negotiating their medicare get paid is 'unequal' to other states, but not in violation of the amendment.

The court has latitude for political deals. Not so much for bigotry, at least outside 4 of the justices.

I'd rather see this for everyone, though.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000

So as long as you get an exemption, those non-union members with 'Cadillac' plans can just bend over and pay the tax. Is that right?

Unrelated to the post above is this question. If this bill is so fucking good, how come so many exemptions need to be granted to get people on board with it?

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005

lol how is that different than a non-union job :roll;

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
So as long as you get an exemption, those non-union members with 'Cadillac' plans can just bend over and pay the tax. Is that right?

Unrelated to the post above is this question. If this bill is so fucking good, how come so many exemptions need to be granted to get people on board with it?

Because the corporate resistance for greed, and the right-wing resistance for putting their politicis of hurting the Democrats ahead of the well-being of the people, have forced the bill to be so compromised that other intereswts, like the unions, have lost so much that for it to make any sense for them requires that not all they get is gutted.

Blame the main cause of the gutting of the bill: the corpoate interests and the Republicans/corporatist Dems. But we beat them, a little, here and hopefully more next time.

Argo

Lifer
Apr 8, 2000

I was about to ask the same question. I consider health insurance part of my compensation, just because it comes standard with my type of position doesn't change anything.

cmcartman

Aug 19, 2007
I was about to ask the same question. I consider health insurance part of my compensation, just because it comes standard with my type of position doesn't change anything.

You gave up thousands of dollars in wage increases over the past 25 years to keep your health coverage at comparable levels? You are also in a recently signed 5 year contract and all but the most recent one were not actually agreed to until 1-4 years after the last contract ended?

Not that it actually affects me either way, but I don't support the plan at all. It seems to be an ill concieved plan with a 40 percent income tax on certain people, regardless of their actual total income.

cubeless

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2001
Because the corporate resistance for greed, and the right-wing resistance for putting their politicis of hurting the Democrats ahead of the well-being of the people, have forced the bill to be so compromised that other intereswts, like the unions, have lost so much that for it to make any sense for them requires that not all they get is gutted.

Blame the main cause of the gutting of the bill: the corpoate interests and the Republicans/corporatist Dems. But we beat them, a little, here and hopefully more next time.

the only 'them' you are 'beating' is working, middle class america who are not part of your protected class of union/gov't workers...

although, of course, hurting those who are not politically aligned with you for the greater good is ok... that must be why you support the war in iraq and afghanistan...

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
AND THE PROLETARIAT SHALL RISE ONCE MORE!
End the oppression of the capitalistic swines, the bourgeois, and support the plight of the working class!
proletariattemp.jpg

Feel free to emigrate to Cuba at your convenience.

Please check your sarcasm meter. :D

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com

Can you name a non-union job where benefits, such as health insurance, are 30% or more of the compensation? Regardless, I don't think it's fair to have any tax on health insurance benefits. Medical expenses are & should be tax exempt. This is little different.

Lol
That's how it works in the rest of the world too.
wtf are you talking about? The rest of the world increases the effective tax by 20% on a group of people?

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Can you name a non-union job where benefits, such as health insurance, are 30% or more of the compensation? Regardless, I don't think it's fair to have any tax on health insurance benefits. Medical expenses are & should be tax exempt. This is little different.

Actually that tax break is one of the biggest problem with our health care costs. It is another weird incentive that keeps health insurance plans from being portable and also masks the costs of care to the consumer.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

Yep, there are likely many jobs that the insurance is 30% I know when I was younger and worked as a grocery manager the insurance was a huge chunk for us full time employees as we had a great plan that the company picked up most of the tab for. Why do you think any of this is different for unions?