Unions & Cadillac Tax

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Good. I think we should all join unions and nationalize banks and regulate the market. All rich people should become day laborers too.

EndGame

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2002
It appears the Unions are going to get a bit of a break on the insurance tax until 2018.
http://www.latimes.com/news/nation-and-world/la-na-health-congress15-2010jan15,0,5584496.story
It is good to be the President's friend.

Wonder how the rest of America feels about it?

Thinking that if they postponed the union's tax until 2018 they should have postponed ALL employer provided healthcare benefits being taxed until 2018. Now that's some BS of the political order!

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Good. I think we should all join unions and nationalize banks and regulate the market. All rich people should become day laborers too.

If everyone is a day laborer then I won't have time or the energy to post here.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Thinking that if they postponed the union's tax until 2018 they should have postponed ALL employer provided healthcare benefits being taxed until 2018. Now that's some BS of the political order!

Welcome to politics. Organization and money are two ways to get power. They have organization, the healthcare industry has money, and Republicans and some Dems are for sale.

Unions have organization. They've already gotten mostly trashed by the compromises. This is just a bone thrown their way because they are poitcally important enough to get it.

Remember what I quote? "Politicians have to look good to voters, and do good for donors." You get the pat on the back. THe unions get a bone.

EndGame

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2002
Welcome to politics. Organization and money are two ways to get power. They have organization, the healthcare industry has money, and Republicans and some Dems are for sale.

Unions have organization. They've already gotten mostly trashed by the compromises. This is just a bone thrown their way because they are poitcally important enough to get it.

Remember what I quote? "Politicians have to look good to voters, and do good for donors." You get the pat on the back. THe unions get a bone.

Um, that's exactly what I was stating in a condensed form but thanks for the long form.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Opaqueness and favoritism?

Could be all three of those. Depend whatever day it is and which ever special interest group comes of a crying.

This whole healthcare bill is just the beginning of the fuck ups. Once they get their power hungry hands on the industry this is going to be childs play.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
So we're still getting national healthca..... wait nope. National insurance? not that either.

I guess we're still just getting screwed and the government is telling me my benefits are too good.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
So we're still getting national healthca..... wait nope. National insurance? not that either.

I guess we're still just getting screwed and the government is telling me my benefits are too good.

You bet they are. Your current plan pays for lube during a colonoscopy.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000

AND THE PROLETARIAT SHALL RISE ONCE MORE!
End the oppression of the capitalistic swines, the bourgeois, and support the plight of the working class!
proletariattemp.jpg

Feel free to emigrate to Cuba at your convenience.

Last edited:

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005

Lol you can't get a union job if you wanted to. Thats the secret. If you're in, you're rich. If you're looking outside, you get to join the line at the food bank.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Sweet! Government employees being exempt means this won't affect me and the future wife with her incredible insurance so I'm loving this. /sarcasm

I'm not a "it's fine if my bull isn't getting gored. This tax is a tax on ones compensation of which insurance is a part of, and 40% at that. It's wrong.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
I wonder if we will see law suits over this as well.

The government treating citizens differently. Sounds like a perfect set up for a challenge on equal protection grounds.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
I wonder if we will see law suits over this as well.

The government treating citizens differently. Sounds like a perfect set up for a challenge on equal protection grounds.

Already in the works but it has to be passed before it can be challenged, which sucks.