Question Uninstall graphics drivers first or remove graphics card first?

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
Its been a while and I need to ask this noob question - Uninstall graphics drivers first or remove graphics card first on a windows 10 pc if I need to remove the graphics card?

And is it different if its AMD/Nvidia?

Zoozuu

Oct 21, 2020
try display driver uninstaller. DDU
also dont let windows install a driver. make sure to have the internet unplugged. download the most recent driver from the hardwares website.

Zoozuu

Oct 21, 2020
I'm not sure. I would say if you have problems with the regular uninstaller try ddu. most of the time I format my system before doing new drivers. I haven't used either way to uninstall in a while as they both have gone weird for me in the past. :p

Spjut

Apr 9, 2011
IME, uninstalling drivers isn't necessary anymore, whether you're using DDU or the normal uninstaller. I've changed between various Legacy DX9/10/11 and modern GPUs from both AMD and Nvidia on the same Win10 PCs, and I've never encountered a driver issue when changing graphics cards.
Windows 10 simply doesn't find compatible hardware from the get go, then fetches a proper driver itself from Windows Update, though it's often an older driver, and voila, it's working.

I don't remember any issues changing drivers on Windows 7 either. The only thing I remember could be problematic was changing motherboards, which has also worked without issues in Win10.