• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."
  • Community Question: What makes a good motherboard?

Question Uninstall graphics drivers first or remove graphics card first?

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
Its been a while and I need to ask this noob question - Uninstall graphics drivers first or remove graphics card first on a windows 10 pc if I need to remove the graphics card?

And is it different if its AMD/Nvidia?

Zoozuu

Oct 21, 2020
try display driver uninstaller. DDU
also dont let windows install a driver. make sure to have the internet unplugged. download the most recent driver from the hardwares website.

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
try display driver uninstaller. DDU
also dont let windows install a driver. make sure to have the internet unplugged. download the most recent driver from the hardwares website.
Is the uninstaller still so crap that DDU is needed?

Zoozuu

Oct 21, 2020
I'm not sure. I would say if you have problems with the regular uninstaller try ddu. most of the time I format my system before doing new drivers. I haven't used either way to uninstall in a while as they both have gone weird for me in the past. :p

Spjut

Apr 9, 2011
IME, uninstalling drivers isn't necessary anymore, whether you're using DDU or the normal uninstaller. I've changed between various Legacy DX9/10/11 and modern GPUs from both AMD and Nvidia on the same Win10 PCs, and I've never encountered a driver issue when changing graphics cards.
Windows 10 simply doesn't find compatible hardware from the get go, then fetches a proper driver itself from Windows Update, though it's often an older driver, and voila, it's working.

I don't remember any issues changing drivers on Windows 7 either. The only thing I remember could be problematic was changing motherboards, which has also worked without issues in Win10.

ASK THE COMMUNITY