Unemployment rate drops the lowest in 4 years!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
January 2009, OH you mean when the economy was in a full blow Depression thanks to the right wing administration and their banker friends? And you're saying that in less than 4 years we managed to go from a Depression to having the lowest unemployment rate since that happened?

Yeah, that is horrible!

derp

What he is talking about is the participation rate. In the past decade it has fallen during recession and never came back. It peaked about 68% in 2000 and is now about 63.5%. That 4.5% represents about 5-6 million workers that didnt come back. Why? That is the question nobody truely knows.

In 08 participation rate was 66%.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
What he is talking about is the participation rate. In the past decade it has fallen during recession and never came back. It peaked about 68% in 2000 and is now about 63.5%. That 4.5% represents about 5-6 million workers that didnt come back. Why? That is the question nobody truely knows.

A lot of boomers retired.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012

Maybe because we were in a labor bubble?

chart-of-the-day-civilian-labor-force-participation-may-2012.jpg

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

When the plant that I worked for closed down in 2010, nearly 50% of the 35 skilled trade workers that were let go retired. Four more transferred to other plants to get enough time in to retire and have since retired. My 2 neighbors did the same thing when they lost their jobs. I can see your reason as being somewhat true (or at least factoring in).

As for the OP, would the number have been higher (new jobs) if the hurricane had not hit the east coast?

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
The numbers are lies!

It's all Christmas hiring!

They weren't good jobs created!

Miss any?

I suspect the partisan left isn't interested in truth more than its equivalent on the right. For example one of the first things stated in the article is about people just giving up. Just quoting numbers without associating meanings is useless. That doesn't stop people from using it anyway.

So tell us precisely the facts from a reputable non political/partisan source that answers the reason for these figures and the quality of the work. Good jobs replaced with burger flipping is hardly a reason to boast.

Give us facts in proper context and then we'll decide what the results merit.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Good jobs replaced with burger flipping is hardly a reason to boast.

Have been saying that for years and still think that is the very reason that we have all of the issues that we have now. Can't tear the foundation out without the building falling.....tick...tock....tick...tock.....CRASH!

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

I think that is a very plausible explanation for some of it. I also believe some people made plenty of money off the last two bubbles and decided to retire early. But the reports and surveys dont give a clear and definate answer.

I do think it will be an issue longer term if a smaller % of the population is expected to fund a larger govt. But when it comes to the unemployment number I dont really care. The unemployment % is a market survey designed to gauge the amount of available willing workers.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
You got that right! The rightist need to check this out!

30953_505495009460870_1420908439_n.jpg

Unemployment was 4% when Bush took office. How many jobs are you supposed to create when everyone in already working. BTW, are you gearing up for Bush running in 2016 or something?

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
January 2009, OH you mean when the economy was in a full blow Depression thanks to the right wing administration and their banker friends? And you're saying that in less than 4 years we managed to go from a Depression to having the lowest unemployment rate since that happened?

Yeah, that is horrible!

derp

It's a recession dummy, not a depression, and Bush didn’t cause the housing market crisis. Go back to your Truther thread.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
just had a blurb on CNN about this.

teh guy said the reason its the lowest is because a combination of holiday jobs and people giving up on finding jobs.

thought CNN was pro-obama?

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
just had a blurb on CNN about this.

teh guy said the reason its the lowest is because a combination of holiday jobs and people giving up on finding jobs.

thought CNN was pro-obama?

People giving up finding jobs is a factor contributing to declining unemployment rate? Think about it rationally for a second and ask how that can actually affect data. Why would people give up finding jobs?

Nov 30, 2006
People giving up finding jobs is a factor contributing to declining unemployment rate?
Yes.

Think about it rationally for a second and ask how that can actually affect data. Why would people give up finding jobs?
Seriously? The unemployed often get discouraged and stop looking for employment. Many retire if they're able to do so.

Notice the uptick in retired SS beneficiaries since 2008.

icpBenies.gif

Last edited:

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
People giving up finding jobs is a factor contributing to declining unemployment rate? Think about it rationally for a second and ask how that can actually affect data. Why would people give up finding jobs?

yeah it happens. if you aren't actively looking for a job you aren't counted. people get frustrated and retire or something else.

my question is where the fuck you been that you haven't heard of it? its nothing new and been happening the last 5-6 years

doc savage points out another huge issue. many disabled who had jobs and lost it just turned to SSDI and many are trying to scam and get it.

Last edited:

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Unemployment was 4% when Bush took office. How many jobs are you supposed to create when everyone in already working. BTW, are you gearing up for Bush running in 2016 or something?

How is everyone working when the Unemployment rate is 4%?

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
12-4 is like 2008 right in the middle of the crash. I hope for the best, but I really dont think unemployment rates can even be trusted. This could be a good sing of a profitable Christmas Season. Look at the unemployment again in Feb, when the Jan figures come out. The new OBammacare taxes have not kicked in yet. The president is running around threatening to raise everyone's Taxes and you want to celebrate.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
12-4 is like 2008 right in the middle of the crash. I hope for the best, but I really dont think unemployment rates can even be trusted. This could be a good sing of a profitable Christmas Season. Look at the unemployment again in Feb, when the Jan figures come out. The new OBammacare taxes have not kicked in yet. The president is running around threatening to raise everyone's Taxes and you want to celebrate.

If you made over $250k, which is who he is raising taxes on, YOU WOULDN'T NEED A NEW COMPUTER as your sig says.

Nov 30, 2006
How is everyone working when the Unemployment rate is 4%?
They aren't. However, 4% unemployment is considered to be full employment or very close to it. In the real world, it is virtually impossible to get to 0% unemployment.

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
yeah it happens. if you aren't actively looking for a job you aren't counted. people get frustrated and retire or something else.

my question is where the fuck you been that you haven't heard of it? its nothing new and been happening the last 5-6 years

doc savage points out another huge issue. many disabled who had jobs and lost it just turned to SSDI and many are trying to scam and get it.

So if people retire because they give up on finding a job, how is that reflective of unemployment rate or even the state of the ecconomy, if people are able to retire? Are we counting retirees as unemployed people now?

Last edited: