Unarmed black 17 year old shot by Neighborhood watch captain in gated community...

Page 39 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
In FL if a gun owner claims self defense an is arrested, he can sue for damages.

Yes, it is disgusting.
If there was no indication it was otherwise at the time that's true...arresting someone with no indication a crime was committed is false arrest and applies to more than just self defense shootings...only in the UK do they arrest someone for self defense then figure out if they're guilty later

Sep 7, 2009
Can somebody tell me how the police can "correct" a witness the scene of an incident? The police weren't there.

Are you serious? Police reports have errors all the time. LEO 'correct' statements all the time.

I'm not surprised at any of this.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Can somebody tell me how the police can "correct" a witnessat the scene of an indcident? The police weren't there.

I don't know. The fact is that the incident could've been avoided if Mr. Zimmerman followed the 911 dispatchers advice... yeah yeah, I know it wasn't legally binding but if the advice was followed the shooting likely wouldn't have happened.

It's a lot of bad circumstances on top of the fact that there is a victim who could still be alive and this thread could be non-existent. Instead we have a lot of unanswered questions. Plus an investigation that some people are starting not to trust.

In my opinion there should be some mechanism where the tapes could be released, despite the ongoing investigation.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Look, any young white person in a hoodie, who was not from the neighborhood and therefore not known to the residents, could ordinarily be expected to be treated as suspicious in a neighborhood where recent burglaries had been a problem.

Know how I know? Cause I live in a damned neighborhood where we had burglaries and unknown white people walking by don't get a pass.

Only in your liberal fantasies do you think white people consider all other white people above committing crime.

Take your racist crap elsewhere.

Fern

Nowhere did either Don Vito or I claim that white people consider all other white people above committing crime. The statement was that he believed were a white person to have been behaving identically to the shot youth in that situation that he would not have been stopped. Do you understand the difference?

By the way, it's frankly bizarre that you believe liberals have fantasies about white people considering their race above committing crime. That sort of belief is pretty unhinged from reality.

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
Can somebody tell me how the police can "correct" a witness the scene of an incident? The police weren't there.
She could have given conflicting statements to more than one officer or maybe there had been others who were stating the opposite...in any case that's bad procedure

Last edited:

airdata

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2010
Are you serious? Police reports have errors all the time. LEO 'correct' statements all the time.

They also outright make things up.

Unless the police were there when everything happened, they have no basis to tell a witness that she heard the other person crying for help.

All we have to do is look at which one of them is dead and which is alive from an encounter that shouldn't have happened and was provoked by the person that's alive.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

This was not a correction of a report. The police told the witness on the scene they did not hear Treyvon cry out they heard Zimmerman.

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
In my opinion there should be some mechanism where the tapes could be released, despite the ongoing investigation
It's in the family's best interest that they aren't...if they do decide to charge him his defense could argue prejudice and tainting the jury pool and make things much harder...
Nowhere did either Don Vito or I claim that white people consider all other white people above committing crime. The statement was that he believed were a white person to have been behaving identically to the shot youth in that situation that he would not have been stopped. Do you understand the difference?

By the way, it's frankly bizarre that you believe liberals have fantasies about white people considering their race above committing crime. That sort of belief is pretty unhinged from reality.
You don't get how you're talking in circles do you?

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003

You stepped in it, and now you're trying to dance away.

Fern

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
I would say an armed Zimmerman being told by law enforcement to stay in his car and him ignoring that tells me a lot of Zimmerman's current behavior

The 911 dispatcher is NOT "law enforcement". Not sure why you and some others want to keep harping on that aspect when it is completely irrelevant.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
It's in the family's best interest that they aren't...if they do decide to charge him his defense could argue prejudice and tainting the jury pool and make things much harder...

Probably true... considering the touchy nature of the incident there should be a trusted impartial party (one who wouldn't reveal the contents publicly) who could be brought into listen to it and answer the families questions about the tape. Even if just to say "no the rumors of Mr. Zimmerman saying such and such are false."

Hopefully the firestorm surrounding this doesn't hinder the investigation but it probably already has.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
If there's no evidence against him in that regard then they should just release the recordings to squash the rumors.

No, squashing rumors is not their job. Investigating thoroughly is their job. Rumors and what the media hype is not their concern. I'm sure the information will be released in due time when the investigation is complete.

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
Probably true... considering the touchy nature of the incident there should be a trusted impartial party (one who wouldn't reveal the contents publicly) who could be brought into listen to it and answer the families questions about the tape. Even if just to say "no the rumors of Mr. Zimmerman saying such and such are false."

Hopefully the firestorm surrounding this doesn't hinder the investigation but it probably already has.
That would be an extraordinary step to take and potentially difficult to find someone the family would trust and someone the police would trust...and as we here are proof this will definitely hinder the investigation and probably taint any potential jury for a civil case, which is where I expect this to end up

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
The 911 dispatcher is NOT "law enforcement". Not sure why you and some others want to keep harping on that aspect when it is completely irrelevant.

While it is correct that Mr. Zimmerman didn't have to follow the dispatcher's recommendation the likely result of him following that advice would've been Mr. Zimmerman not being involved in a shooting at all. Granted it's speculation but it's no more speculation about Mr. Zimmerman being suddenly attacked by Trayvon Martin.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
You stepped in it, and now you're trying to dance away.

Fern

The only thing I can think of is that you have messed up your auto-translation options on your computer and are reading my posts in a different language. You were wrong, and it's irrefutable. Swallow your pride and admit it.

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
While it is correct that Mr. Zimmerman didn't have to follow the dispatcher's recommendation the likely result of him following that advice would've been Mr. Zimmerman not being involved in a shooting at all. Granted it's speculation but it's no more speculation about Mr. Zimmerman being suddenly attacked by Trayvon Martin.
Hindsight is always 20/20

Feb 10, 2000
I find it odd the 911 tape has not been released. Obviously it's a state law-specific thing, but it's commonplace for 911 tapes to be released even while an investigation is pending.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
That would be an extraordinary step to take and potentially difficult to find someone the family would trust and someone the police would trust...and as we here are proof this will definitely hinder the investigation and probably taint any potential jury for a civil case, which is where I expect this to end up

You're right it will probably end up in a civil lawsuit...

I probably should have said "I wish there was" instead of "there should be"

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Look, any young white person in a hoodie, who was not from the neighborhood and therefore not known to the residents, could ordinarily be expected to be treated as suspicious in a neighborhood where recent burglaries had been a problem.

Know how I know? Cause I live in a damned neighborhood where we had burglaries and unknown white people walking by don't get a pass.

Only in your liberal fantasies do you think white people consider all other white people above committing crime.

Take your racist crap elsewhere.

Fern

You are so full of sh!t. Any person with any shred of damn decency knows good and damn well this incident occured because he was black. I gotta respect Spidey a little, because this could have gotten out of hand and then this guy was forced to shoot. You can argue about whether or not this guy was shot in accordance of the law, but stop with the bullshit. No where is there any indication this was a hoodlum, thug, or anything else other then a 17 year old guy. If you gonna believe the background research and give the rent a cop some credit, then give the same credance to the background research about this 17 year old. He was not a troublemaker.