Umm, does this girl want me to ask her out to dinner?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

swtethan

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2005
Preslove,

I just wanted to say thank you sooo much for fixing my computer! And thank you for doing it so fast! I really appreciate your help, time, and generosity, and although it's not much, I wanted you to be able to go get something (dinner?) for yourself. Thank you so much again!!
<3 <3 always,
(girl's name) x0x0x

P.S. -If you know somewhere in Tally where I could get a Mac [she asked what kind of laptop she should get and I told her to get a macbook] - they don't have them @ Best Buy - Would you let me know?
Thank you!!!
(gives her email address)

she wanted you to get SOMETHING ;)

Triforceofcourage

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2004
I doubt she was trying to get you to ask her out but who cares. Just go ahead and do it. Whats the worst than could happen? If she says no who really cares.

Horus

Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2003
Be slick. Email her and say,

"It was very nice to offer to pay for dinner...but I'm a gentleman, and demand that I pay on the first date. Speaking of which, when would you like to grab dinner?"

Then use that money and pay for a nice bottle of wine. Something from California or South Africa.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Go for it. What is the worst that could happen? Just make your response casual and collected.

Also, don't EVER let her know that you post here . Then she'll come and she what a loser you are for hanging out with the rest of us ATOTers :p

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I'd go with kranky's advice. She seems like she was being overly nice to you. Can't hurt to ask her. :)

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: clamum
I'd go with kranky's advice. She seems like she was being overly nice to you. Can't hurt to ask her. :)

She wasn't just being nice.

She sent a big huge flaming flag of red, a "god if you don't ask me out I don't want anything to do with you" flag. I doubt she could have made it any more clear of what she wanted. She went way beyond hinting.

A date is just a date - two people getting together for some fun. If you spend the evening giggling and smiling, then it is a done deal. If they say no to your request, then so be it. No big deal.

flyboy84

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2004
Originally posted by: Cal166
Originally posted by: TheCanuck
Sounds like she is into computer geeks ;).

Ask her if she wants to see your hard drive!

Yes. Show her your 3.5"

Haha, sigged, thanks! :)

Edit: oh, and OP, ask her out.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
Ok, a lot of great responses so far. To answer a few questions: 1. I wouldn't call her hot, but definately cute and attractive. Kinda hyper in a possibly very good way. 2). The note is exactly as I've written it. 3). I told her to get a macbook pro because they're freaking awesome and much less likely to encounter viruses. So far the email is shaping like this:

Hi (girl's name),

I got your note today [I was only recently informed that I have a mailbox at work :)] and I wanted to thank you.

First, to buying a mac. You should go to the campus computer store (it's in the union, close to quiznos) and look at the models they have. You can get a student discount there, but don't fall for any of their "mobility packages" because they'll rip you off. I'd recommend either the base macbook pro or a white macbook with the ram upgraded to 1 gig. They may have a long wait time, so you might be better off going to applestore.com and use the education discount there.

As to your generous gift, thank you so much. Dinner sounds great, would you care to join me?

Preslove
(my number)

I put the first parenthetical phrase in there because she left the note a week ago and I only read it today. Is it too self conscious?

doze

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2005
I would probably word the first part

I just got your note today (b/c I never check my mailbox at work) and wanted to thank you.

Than ask her to dinner,

Last tell her stuff about the laptop. Offer to go with her to pick it out and you will get plenty of bonus points.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
I would honestly be very surprised if she declines. Now pick the restaurant and don't do a "I don't know, what do you like"

Take her out (and for god's sake spend more than 30 bucks, maybe use that to get a nice bottle of wine as suggested), to a place that gives you time/environment to talk and get to know each other.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
Originally posted by: doze

I just got your note today (b/c I never check my mailbox at work) and wanted to thank you.

Than ask her to dinner,

Last tell her stuff about the laptop. Offer to go with her to pick it out and you will get plenty of bonus points.

I like the first changes, but don't you think offering to help her is too forward?

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
Originally posted by: spidey07
I would honestly be very surprised if she declines. Now pick the restaurant and don't do a "I don't know, what do you like"

Take her out (and for god's sake spend more than 30 bucks, maybe use that to get a nice bottle of wine as suggested), to a place that gives you time/environment to talk and get to know each other.

The problem is I don't know any cool places in town. And yeah, I feel obligated to spend >$60.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: preslove

The problem is I don't know any cool places in town. And yeah, I feel obligated to spend >$60.

So ask some co-workers? "hey, what's a decent place to eat around here?" They'll know the scoop.

doze

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2005

Than ask her to dinner,

I like the first changes, but don't you think offering to help her is too forward?

If you don't mind spending an hour or two with her, I'm sure she would appreciate it for several reasons. 1.Girls like shopping 2.Girls like taking guys shopping with them 3.Non tech people can be intimidated when shopping for tech stuff

I would probably ask her if she wants to look at some laptops then have dinner after, that way you have already broken the ice before dinner.

For food pick a local (non chain) place, italian is always good or sushi/hibachi can be fun.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003

Than ask her to dinner,

If you don't mind spending an hour or two with her, I'm sure she would appreciate it for several reasons. 1.Girls like shopping 2.Girls like taking guys shopping with them 3.Non tech people can be intimidated when shopping for tech stuff

I would probably ask her if she wants to look at some laptops then have dinner after, that way you have already broken the ice before dinner.

For food pick a local (non chain) place, italian is always good or sushi/hibachi can be fun.

ok, how's this:
Hi (girl),

I just got your note today (I never check my mailbox at work) and wanted to thank you.

Your gift was very generous and totally made my day. Dinner sounds great, would you care to join me?

As to buying a mac. You should go to the campus computer store (it's in the union, close to quiznos) and look at the models they have. You can get a student discount there, but don't fall for any of their "mobility packages" because they'll rip you off. I'd recommend either the base macbook pro or a white macbook with the ram upgraded to 1 gig. Maybe we could look at their selection before dinner?

(me)
#

JDrake

Banned
Dec 27, 2005
I like it, cept I'd get rid of that last line. I'm usually not one for "Statement comma question"s though but if thats how you want to ask, go for it.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

More than $60? Where do you plan to take her, some place with valet parking? You barely met her, don't come on too strong. What's wrong with an Applebee's or some place like that?

Lazy8s

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2004

Than ask her to dinner,

ok, how's this:
Hi (girl),

I just got your note today (I never check my mailbox at work) and wanted to thank you.

Your gift was very generous and totally made my day. Dinner sounds great, would you care to join me?

As to buying a mac. You should go to the campus computer store (it's in the union, close to quiznos) and look at the models they have. You can get a student discount there, but don't fall for any of their "mobility packages" because they'll rip you off. I'd recommend either the base macbook pro or a white macbook with the ram upgraded to 1 gig. Maybe we could look at their selection before dinner?

(me)
#

Perhaps something more like:

Hi (girl),

Your gift was very generous and totally made my day. I feel bad taking your money though, maybe I could use it to take you out to dinner instead?

As to buying a mac. You should go to the campus computer store (it's in the union, close to quiznos) and look at the models they have. You can get a student discount there, but don't fall for any of their "mobility packages" because they'll rip you off. I'd recommend either the base macbook pro or a white macbook with the ram upgraded to 1 gig. If you need any help don't be afraid to ask.

(me)
#

You don't want to sound like you're inviting yourself along with her to get the computer. If she's kinda into you but doesn't know for certain asking her out for dinner will be plenty. You sort of make it sound like you're planning a long first date or perhaps even a second date. That could scare her off. I'd stick to dinner and offer help on the laptop open-ended. If she does dinner then perhaps slip in the idea of helping pick the laptop during dinner.

It's your choice on "Dinner sounds great, care to join me?" or something along the lines of what I posted. To me your line sounds more like a cheesy pickup line (no offence) while saying you feel guilty about the tip makes it sound like you're a sweet guy and you don't think so highly of yourself that you deserve it.

Either way be honest. You have nothing to lose.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
Originally posted by: Lazy8s

Than ask her to dinner,

ok, how's this:
Hi (girl),

(me)
#

Perhaps something more like:

Hi (girl),

Your gift was very generous and totally made my day. I feel bad taking your money though, maybe I could use it to take you out to dinner instead?

As to buying a mac. You should go to the campus computer store (it's in the union, close to quiznos) and look at the models they have. You can get a student discount there, but don't fall for any of their "mobility packages" because they'll rip you off. I'd recommend either the base macbook pro or a white macbook with the ram upgraded to 1 gig. If you need any help don't be afraid to ask.

(me)
#

You don't want to sound like you're inviting yourself along with her to get the computer. If she's kinda into you but doesn't know for certain asking her out for dinner will be plenty. You sort of make it sound like you're planning a long first date or perhaps even a second date. That could scare her off. I'd stick to dinner and offer help on the laptop open-ended. If she does dinner then perhaps slip in the idea of helping pick the laptop during dinner.

It's your choice on "Dinner sounds great, care to join me?" or something alone the lines of what I posted. To me your line sounds more like a cheesy pickup line (no offence) while saying you feel guilty about the tip makes it sound like you're a sweet guy and you don't think so highly of yourself that you deserve it.

Either way be honest. You have nothing to lose.

Great advice, the email's been edited.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
1st 3 minutes of the date...

blah, blah, blah computer.

Next 3 hours of the date...

So, tell me more about you and you're interests. I'm intrigued and want nothing more than to hear you talk about yourself. (don't say the second sentence outloud) ;)

Lazy8s

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2004
1st 3 minutes of the date...

blah, blah, blah computer.

Next 3 hours of the date...

So, tell me more about you and you're interests. I'm intrigued and want nothing more than to hear you talk about yourself. (don't say the second sentence outloud) ;)

HAHA funny but QFT!

GL to ya bro. Tell us how it turns out. You should be jumping for joy that you had the ice broken for you! Unless she's a rich-b!tch I'd say she at least thought you were cute. Not many girls would leave a $30 tip for a computer tech. She might not have been asking you out knowingly but I'd say she was definately trying to get your attention. I've fixed dozens of computers and I've only been tipped once. She had me to her dorm to fix the comp and when I turned around cause I was finished she was in black lace bra and a thong. That was a helluva tip!