Ugh.. Drank a mouthful of diesel

Grey

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 1999
Everyone please be aware that this thread is 14 years old.
admin allisolm

Had a mechanical issue and had to siphon out diesel from a gas tank. When I went to start the process I managed to ingest a good mouthful. This was a couple of hours ago and all the co-workers said it happens all the time but man I feel gaseous heh. Anyone ever do this?

*edited to kill some responses*

Jeez, so quick to bash on these forums let me clarify some things here.

A) I work at a big company with an onsite registered EMT. Who upon hearing my story said take some tums and be ready for gassy night.
B)We did call the poison control line for giggles and they said pretty much the same thing.

D) The problems arise when you throw UP the diesel or gasoline because you are causing all kinds of issues with your lungs and throat at that point.

So yes I did get medical attention before I posted on ATOT Good grief.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grey

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: MichaelD
Smoke a cigarette. It'll make you feel better.

Sadly that is what our onsite mechanic does while doing it. Sigh, reading this thread makes me feel like a redneck but I never do this kind of crap.

biffbacon

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2003
call frickin poison control you fool. dont look for answers to a potentially serious medical issue from a bunch of strangers on an internet forum.

biffbacon

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2003
and dont drink alot of water until u talk to poison control. i am a doctor, but not a toxicologist. water will wash it further into your GI tract, and this is good for somethings, and not others... u may need your stomach pumped, but im honestly not sure. CALL POISON CONTROL

Grey

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: biffbacon
call frickin poison control you fool. dont look for answers to a potentially serious medical issue from a bunch of strangers on an internet forum.

Uh, no kidding. We have material safety data sheets which just say drink a lot of water. It was a mouthful not a gallon or something.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Grey
Had a mechanical issue and had to siphon out diesel from a gas tank. When I went to start the process I managed to ingest a good mouthful. This was a couple of hours ago and all the co-workers said it happens all the time but man I feel gaseous heh. Anyone ever do this?

A guy I was stationed with in the military was from West Virginia. Anyways his family was real rednecks - like Deliverance rednecks. They were poor and when this guy would get a sore throat, his dad you make him gargle kerosene(sp?). If he was sick to his stomach, he would get a tablespoon of it to drink.

I then joked that his dad must have been trying to kill him and asked if is dad ever gave him a cigarette to smoke. He said no, but he smoked the entire time while pouring in the cups and spoons and while carrying it to him.

Got to love West Virginia :)

AaronB

Golden Member
Dec 25, 2002
poison control

Home Treatment
Ingestions of any hydrocarbon require immediate medical attention. Give water to dilute. DO NOT INDUCE EMESIS (VOMITING)!

I'm with Biff.

If you honestly swallowed an ounce or two of diesel you need to get to a doctor. Now.

Or at least call one you fool.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
OK....first off, siphoning by mouth isn't a good idea. However, if you absolutely MUST do it, you seal off your mouth and use your cheeks to suck, not your lungs.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Uh, I would've puked on the spot, whether forced or otherwise.

hydrocarbons are pretty hard to digest. ;)
poison control

Home Treatment
Ingestions of any hydrocarbon require immediate medical attention. Give water to dilute. DO NOT INDUCE EMESIS (VOMITING)!
Hmm.. So I guess if I ever swallow some diesel, I shouldn't just throw it up then?

:confused:

I wonder why.

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

seriously! call poison control!

InlineFive

Diamond Member
Sep 20, 2003
It's sad that all these people who have medical issues that could be really serious and just sit and post on ATOT.

raanemaan

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2004
Try wrapping a rag around the hose where it goes into the tank and then pressurize by blowing into the tank. Remove mouth before pressure pushes liquid up the hose.

Beattie

Golden Member
Sep 6, 2001

Wait... so you drank diesel fuel and now you are posting about it? That's dumb on so many levels...

Antisocial Virge

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 1999
Originally posted by: VanillaH
so what did it taste like?

Tastes like it smells, and when I burp it reeks of diesel in the room.

Been there, done that. Gas is a worse for the short term in drinking but diesel is more like an oil and it seems to hang around alot longer. Don't expect it to go away overnight either. Burps are what will make you feel like ass.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
If it has been a couple of hours, and you don't feel *anything*, I would imagine that you're going to be OK.

But I'm not a toxicologist.

Grey

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 1999
Jeez, so quick to bash on these forums let me clarify some things here.

A) I work at a big company with an onsite registered EMT. Who upon hearing my story said take some tums and be ready for gassy night.
B)We did call the poison control line for giggles and they said pretty much the same thing.

D) The problems arise when you throw UP the diesel or gasoline because you are causing all kinds of issues with your lungs and throat at that point.

So yes I did get medical attention before I posted on ATOT Good grief.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Eli
poison control

Home Treatment
Hmm.. So I guess if I ever swallow some diesel, I shouldn't just throw it up then?

:confused:

I wonder why.

Because if it burns on the way down, it will burn again on the way up. Your stomach is pretty good at holding dangerous liquids (I mean, it holds acid), but your esophagus isn't quite as sturdy.