UFC 146 Dos Santos vs Mir

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
guidos-bros-douchebags-fratboys-bros-take-away-the-fighting-and-the-briefs-and-you-just-have-a-couple-sweaty-dudes-buttsecksing-each-other.gif

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
If there is one thing I have learned from watching MMA since it started it is you should never count Mir out. That dude is smart and a very good athlete so he is capable of beating anyone on any given night....except for Overoid of course, nobody can beat him now that he's turned into a chemical growth experiment.

Overroid did pass drug test in one(more?) of his earlier fights in US which was why the commission was a little convinced that it was a mistake and was lenient with him.

Mir cannot hang with the top-5 unless he catches them early because he tires out quick. He always had a problem with his gas tank.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
Overroid did pass drug test in one(more?) of his earlier fights in US which was why the commission was a little convinced that it was a mistake and was lenient with him.

Mir cannot hang with the top-5 unless he catches them early because he tires out quick. He always had a problem with his gas tank.

http://www.steroids.info/2012/04/05/ufc-heavyweight-alistair-overeem-fails-steroid-test/

Look, there is no question to anyone who was a big Pride fan that Overeem uses steroids. He went from being a lanky 185er to a 250 pound heavyweight in a matter of a couple of years while in Japan.

My personal view of this matter is steroid testing is massively hypocritical, not because I use them or ever have but, because if you're going to let a bunch of inhumanly muscled men into your sport you are basically admitting you don't care if someone has or is using steroids. I found it highly offensive that Congress had all the steroid hearings for baseball when all you had to do was look at Canseco and Sosa's ridiculous growth after his rookie year, same with Bonds and plenty of others, and even as a teenager/child I understood these guys were using steroids; yet these hypocritical politicians pretend as if they didn't know and now they care all of the sudden because some interest groups get involved after Canseco writes a book about his steroid abuse.

It is so hypocritical it is almost sickening. I really feel like they need to impose body mass restrictions into sports or something instead of pretending like they care with steroid testing. People can abuse steroids for years and come off and still retain a lot of their gained advantage so I feel like they need to find another way to regulate it or just drop it altogether and admit the truth, that they don't really care about people cheating or looking like science experiments.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
No, Mir is great on the ground, however the only reason he was on the ground with Nogueira was because Nog dropped him and then proceeded to try to finish him on the ground. Stupid move by Nogueria. If he just kept it standing, he most likely would have knockout Mir out.

But like I said, by some CRAZY chance Mir does get Dos Santos to the ground, the tides turn and the advantage goes to Mir by a BIG margin. If the fight is kept standing, I doubt Mir will make it past round one.

But it could happen the same way. JDS pops Mir, he goes down and looks like he needs finishing, and JDS goes down after him. In many ways I dont blame Nog, as ground game is what he does best. His problem is that he is probably closer to 205 like his twin, and Mir is just a bigger and stronger guy. I've never seen Nog manhandled on the ground like that. He just took his arm and Nog couldnt do anything about it. Mir also has all the leg lock variations. JDS should be able to win this standing, but you never know.

http://www.steroids.info/2012/04/05/ufc-heavyweight-alistair-overeem-fails-steroid-test/

Look, there is no question to anyone who was a big Pride fan that Overeem uses steroids. He went from being a lanky 185er to a 250 pound heavyweight in a matter of a couple of years while in Japan.

I believe Overeem started at 205. He was lanky, but he was also young, and you could see him filling out. His brother is fairly big as well, although maybe steroid use runs in the family.

Last edited:

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Typically, if you lose 3 fights in a row, Dana lets you go. Big Country needs a win on Saturday or he's pretty much done in the UFC.
It depends though. Hardy has lost more than that, but he always brings it, which both Dana and the Bros like. Also they need fighters with a UK fan base.

Big Country is never in boring fights either, so he could still be kept around if he loses. Plus he was a TUF winner, and they always seem to look out for those guys.

wheresmybacon

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004
God, I hope this main event isn't like the snooze-fests that the last several main events were. I'm predicting a win by Dos Santos.
Last 3 main events:

Zombie vs. Poirer is areguably the fight of the year
Diaz subbing Miller was a fantastic fight
Jones vs. Rashad wasn't bad - just no fireworks

I dunno man I wouldn't call any of the last 3 main events snoozefests.

Dos Santos will KO Mir in the 1st round. This is a very bad matchup for Frank. He doesn't really have much of a chin, his boxing isn't even close to JDS, he won't be able to take him down...His only chance is grabbing a leg and getting a heal hook or something.

Rudee

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Last 3 main events:

Zombie vs. Poirer is areguably the fight of the year
Diaz subbing Miller was a fantastic fight
Jones vs. Rashad wasn't bad - just no fireworks

I dunno man I wouldn't call any of the last 3 main events snoozefests.

Dos Santos will KO Mir in the 1st round. This is a very bad matchup for Frank. He doesn't really have much of a chin, his boxing isn't even close to JDS, he won't be able to take him down...His only chance is grabbing a leg and getting a heal hook or something.

Jones vs Evans was definitely a snoozefest. Did you not hear the booing going on during the match?

tcG

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2006
Lmao, Joe Rogan just yelled "He's getting f***ed up!" during the Brandao-Elkins fight.

Apr 20, 2008
I really hope Lavar Johnson wins. That guy seems super humble and is really tough. He's taking fights whenever.

keird

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
I thought this thread had something to do with a fictional character vs. a space station. I couldn't figure out the oblique reference so I clicked. Meh.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
ahh.. my fav heavyweight: Roy Nelson

hope he wins cause i can see Dana cutting him if he loses.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
233lbs?! why doesnt dave herman fight at light heavyweight?
cutting 13lbs should be easy