UFC 128: Shogun vs Jon Jones

Woosta

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2008
Mind=Blown

jones427.jpg

I said it way before Bones became popular, that he is the only guy capable of taking on Shogun at LHW.

I like both, but Shogun overly more so..

WAR SHOGUN

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
well, one of your predictions is again going to fall flat on it's face. Bones wins it in the 2nd with a submission.

Woosta

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2008
http://www.bestfightodds.com/

So.. Jon Jones is a .................. favorite against... Shogun

I'm putting down $500 on Shogun.

This is disgusting; people who had no fucking clue who Bones Jones was until maybe his last fight or the fight prior have completely jumped on the bandwagon, much the same as the people jumping on Shogun's bandwagon after he KTFO'd Machida; much the same as the people jumping on Machida's bandwagon after he KTFO'd Rashad...

Shogun has the edge in:

- experience; he's already faced the who's who of LHWs and destroyed them
- gameplans; his team comes up with incredible gameplans such as both fights with Machida
- bjj/ground; sick sick sweeps and submissions.. he has probably the best BJJ at LHW ( I consider it to be > Lil Nog's )
- brawling/striking on the inside; shogun has mastered the art of brawling on the inside
- granite chin; the only LHW that has knocked him down was Lil Nog

What Jon Jones has been doing to the lower echelon of LHWs, Shogun has been doing to the upper echelon of LHWs since he was 23 ( he should be 28/29 now ).

Jon Jones has the edge in:

- elite level wrestling; embarassed Bader who's an amazing wrestler in his own right
- reach; 84 inch reach is insane considering the only person close to that was Tim Sylvia with 81 inch
- creative striking; you never know what this kid will try and he usually executes crazy, insane shit that actually works
- athleticism and a youthful body; both guys are gifted athletes but Shogun's had a history of knee problems and Jones is very early into his career where his body is pretty much in its prime

Jon Jones is larger but lankier which means he has skinnier legs and those are open to be leg kicked the crap out of by Shogun, one of the best leg kickers in the business. Unless Jones really emphasizes his training on checking kicks or countering Shogun's leg kick in some fashion; evading it somehow or countering using his huge reach advantage, it'll be a night of leg kicking which will have a huge impact on his striking or wrestling in the later rounds. I expect Jon Jones to be fully aware of this and work out a gameplan countering the leg kicks.

Shogun needs to work on his TDD and spar with someone with a very long reach. He has faced Overeem and Snake who have a huge reach and defeated both so he is very capable of dealing with the reach. He was outstruck by Overeem though, but once he got Reem to the ground he just dominated and GNPed him; I expect Shogun to try to do the same to Jones. I don't think I've seen Bones on his back yet but it'll be interesting to see how he'll be in that position. Shogun needs to also work on getting out of the elbow pound Jones does when he puts guys down to the ground; deadliest elbows in MMA.

This fight will definitely be one of those dream matchups. Jon Jones in a few years once he masters everything will be an absolute monster, I don't think he's ready for Shogun yet but he's very capable of beating him; moreso than anyone else at LHW.

To me Shogun is already the LHW GOAT, despite not defending his title he has the absolute best resume of wins at LHW. Wanderlei and Chuck did not face better opponents throughout their career, Shogun to me has already surpassed them. If Shogun can pull off a win, he'll further cement himself in the eyes of the doubters.

If Jon Jones manages to pull the huge, huge upset he's definitely on course to be the LHW GOAT. Him winning the LHW belt at 23 would be *almost* equal to Shogun beating Arona, Rampage, Lil Nog and Overeem in the course of 5-6 months to win the GP in 05.

Last edited:

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
no way would i put anything on this fight. its to close to call. I do give the edge to shogun. Saying that i won't be suprised if Jones wins it.

to me its to close (at least right now) to say. but i will make a for sure prediction when i see them fightday.

Woosta

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2008
What happened to Belfort being the best striker in MMA?

Uh? He still is one of the best strikers in MMA. Losing to Anderson Silva doesn't take that away.

Overeem, Fedor, Belfort, prime CC, Anderson Silva, Melvin Manhoef, Frankie Edgar, BJ Penn, Shogun, JDS, Jose Aldo and I'm forgetting a few... would be the upper echelon of strikers in MMA.

Whisper

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000
We were talking about this yesterday--Jones is amazing, but he may not yet have enough experience to hang with Shogun. His natural talent and ability are pretty damn staggering, though, so I wouldn't put a win past him.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Jones has scrawny legs. just kick at them and watch him fall like Kimbo

what happened to rashad?

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
Bones Jones is too unpredictable of a fighter as he usally goes all out in the frist round -

he could easily be caught with a one punch KO or destroy the oher guy. I've been watching Bones Jones decimate the LHW ranks since him & Bonnar squared off and his reach is a huge advantage. Bones Jones needs to be tested against a superior wrestler & BJJ guy who has the ability to take him down. Against a striker hes just too good.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Bones Jones is too unpredictable of a fighter as he usally goes all out in the frist round -

he could easily be caught with a one punch KO or destroy the oher guy. I've been watching Bones Jones decimate the LHW ranks since him & Bonnar squared off and his reach is a huge advantage. Bones Jones needs to be tested against a superior wrestler & BJJ guy who has the ability to take him down. Against a striker hes just too good.

a superior wrestler? he dominated 2 top tier wrestlers. hell he threw them around like they were nothing.

Crazee

Elite Member
Nov 20, 2001
As much as it may pain me, I have to agree with Woosta on this one. Jones has not faced anyone the caliber of Shogun yet.

He holds wins over Overeem (twice), Rampage (looked like he killed him), Little Nog, Mark Coleman, Kevin Randleman, Chuck Liddell, and of course his beating of Machida. He lost to Renato Sobral in only his 5th MMA fight, one loss to Mark Coleman where he dislocated his elbow and couldn't continue, another to Forrest Griffin where his cardio was not up to par because he had injured his knee in training, and a controversial decision to Machida that most observers thought he won.

Jones has never faced anyone as dangerous on the ground as Shogun. His long reach is a big advantage striking, however could be bad for him if they end up on the ground. His legs are thin (he doesn't have any calves) and as mentioned above makes him susceptible to leg kicks. That said, Jones is a special athlete and very talented. He is capable of winning but I think Shogun will come out on top.

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
I sadly agree with Woosta's assessment, but I'll add the pressure is on Rua. He's the one with the experience and now has less then normal amount of time to prep for JJ.

Rua's camp was prep'in for Evans, now JJ. Evans camp was using JJ to mimic Rua in Evans prep. So after mimicking his style he gets to fight him. Plus there's the potential for ring rust. I just hope the Shogun that shows up isn't the one that did for Forrest or Coleman.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
I can't wait for this fight. Huge fan of both guys, not sure who would win it. Jones is a monster, but Shogun is Shogun. I'm not going to bet on this fight because I don't know which one my heart is picking and which one my head is picking. I'd stay away from a 500 dollar bet on this one though Woosta.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
a superior wrestler? he dominated 2 top tier wrestlers. hell he threw them around like they were nothing.

Lol yeah I don't get that comment. He has fought FIVE good/decent wrestlers rather recently and made them all look amateurish.

Woosta

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2008
I'd stay away from a 500 dollar bet on this one though Woosta.

No. Shogun is the underdog despite being the champion and he's going to win this one.

People need to realize how great Shogun is. He is the original Jon Jones except he had done more at Jon Jones age.

There is a SLIGHT, SLIGHT chance this could be a GSP ( JJ ) vs Matt Hughes ( Shogun ) scenario with Shogun winning the first and Jones taking the second and becoming the greatest LHW, but Shogun is just too great and I have too much faith in Shogun.

As this person put it... http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/2/6/1978427/worth-a-thousand-words

Jon Jones: "God is so good. I feel so great. I’m going for a world title, baby. Let’s do it!"

Mauricio Rua comes in, nonchalant: "I respect Jon Jones, but I’m a professional fighter. No problem."

Jones fights a young man’s fight. He fights like someone who doesn’t think he can lose. Every challenge for him is a wild ride and he throws himself into it with abandon. Does that remind you of anyone?

Take yourself out of a fan’s shoes for a moment. Imagine you’re Rua. You can see past the flash. You see another fighter like all fighters you’ve faced: a conquerable challenge. You look at him like you know of worlds he’s only seen in his dreams. This kid. He doesn’t know what he’s gotten himself into.

He’s never left his soul in the ring with Antonio Rogerio Nogueira. How many countries has he fought in? He's only seen the inside of Chute Boxe in his fantasies. He hasn’t had his arm broken in a fight. He was never PRIDE’s uncrowned champion, fallen. He hasn’t been low and lower and risen again.

He’s business as usual. That’s all.

Jones is high off his win, high off the chance to prove himself. He’s screaming, amping himself up. Rua knows what it’s like. He was the original 23-year-old wonder. Once upon a time he did everything Jones did, and more. That was five years ago. Five years is forever in this sport. He looks at Jones like Son, you don’t know where I’ve been.

This is one of the best MMA photos I’ve ever seen. It taps into a story, a showdown we’re all familiar with, and which will never become trite as long as combat sports exist. Two sides of the same coin. His present, his future. This is the best story you're going to get in MMA, better than any revenge tale. And it's all real.

Last edited:

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
http://www.bestfightodds.com/

So.. Jon Jones is a .................. favorite against... Shogun

I'm putting down $500 on Shogun.

This is disgusting; people who had no fucking clue who Bones Jones was until maybe his last fight or the fight prior have completely jumped on the bandwagon, much the same as the people jumping on Shogun's bandwagon after he KTFO'd Machida; much the same as the people jumping on Machida's bandwagon after he KTFO'd Rashad...

Shogun has the edge in:

- experience; he's already faced the who's who of LHWs and destroyed them
- gameplans; his team comes up with incredible gameplans such as both fights with Machida
- bjj/ground; sick sick sweeps and submissions.. he has probably the best BJJ at LHW ( I consider it to be > Lil Nog's )
- brawling/striking on the inside; shogun has mastered the art of brawling on the inside
- granite chin; the only LHW that has knocked him down was Lil Nog

What Jon Jones has been doing to the lower echelon of LHWs, Shogun has been doing to the upper echelon of LHWs since he was 23 ( he should be 28/29 now ).

Jon Jones has the edge in:

- elite level wrestling; embarassed Bader who's an amazing wrestler in his own right
- reach; 84 inch reach is insane considering the only person close to that was Tim Sylvia with 81 inch
- creative striking; you never know what this kid will try and he usually executes crazy, insane shit that actually works
- athleticism and a youthful body; both guys are gifted athletes but Shogun's had a history of knee problems and Jones is very early into his career where his body is pretty much in its prime

Jon Jones is larger but lankier which means he has skinnier legs and those are open to be leg kicked the crap out of by Shogun, one of the best leg kickers in the business. Unless Jones really emphasizes his training on checking kicks or countering Shogun's leg kick in some fashion; evading it somehow or countering using his huge reach advantage, it'll be a night of leg kicking which will have a huge impact on his striking or wrestling in the later rounds. I expect Jon Jones to be fully aware of this and work out a gameplan countering the leg kicks.

Shogun needs to work on his TDD and spar with someone with a very long reach. He has faced Overeem and Snake who have a huge reach and defeated both so he is very capable of dealing with the reach. He was outstruck by Overeem though, but once he got Reem to the ground he just dominated and GNPed him; I expect Shogun to try to do the same to Jones. I don't think I've seen Bones on his back yet but it'll be interesting to see how he'll be in that position. Shogun needs to also work on getting out of the elbow pound Jones does when he puts guys down to the ground; deadliest elbows in MMA.

This fight will definitely be one of those dream matchups. Jon Jones in a few years once he masters everything will be an absolute monster, I don't think he's ready for Shogun yet but he's very capable of beating him; moreso than anyone else at LHW.

To me Shogun is already the LHW GOAT, despite not defending his title he has the absolute best resume of wins at LHW. Wanderlei and Chuck did not face better opponents throughout their career, Shogun to me has already surpassed them. If Shogun can pull off a win, he'll further cement himself in the eyes of the doubters.

If Jon Jones manages to pull the huge, huge upset he's definitely on course to be the LHW GOAT. Him winning the LHW belt at 23 would be *almost* equal to Shogun beating Arona, Rampage, Lil Nog and Overeem in the course of 5-6 months to win the GP in 05.

Who said I don't have a clue about him? Nice assumption, butthead. I have been watching him since his fifth match (pre-UFC). I have been hyping him for some time, and it doesn't hurt that both of his brothers played/currently play on the Syracuse Orange football team, which I'm a big fan of.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001

That's what Bader was supposed to have on him. We saw what happened there.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Terrible match up for Rua right now. You just come back from a long layoff and surgery, to fight a guy that is red hot, been active, and can take down guys that do not get taken down.

Furthermore, your biggest beloved patriot in the armor, is that your take down defense is suspect. And the last time you had a roll in the cage, was after similar circumstances, against a guy Bones would destroy, and you ended up giving up your back and getting finished.

This is Bones' fight to lose or win IMO; it isn't even up to Rua. :p