$&#@*!!!! Uefi

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
macrium would run into bad sectors on the SSD that the controller wasn't remapping, and fail. didn't matter that i told it to ignore them. ran chkdsk several times and no fix. clonezilla had the same issue. acronis will ignore them.

Macrium doesn't ignore bad sectors by default for obvious reasons, but there is a hidden option to ignore them, which I've used successfully in the past:

Side note, I've also found their viBoot tool to be super handy. Anytime I work on a computer, I make a full image backup, especially if I'm doing an upgrade or a wipe, and then if they need something from their old PC, you can just boot it up as a VM!

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
My seven year old Gigabyte board sometimes loses the USB. Not talking from an extended chipset, but the USB ports for the KBM. I reboot and it is all well and good again. I just figured it was the mobo getting old or something.

It's amazing how far computers have come to use a 7-year-old Gigabyte as your main PC...I'm in the same boat. My current main PC's last BIOS update was 2013. I had to do some tricks to get my 1080 Ti working in it (beta BIOS) & use some add-in cards for certain things, but it's still plugging away, working like a champ even after all these years! My wife's Hackintosh is circa 2011 & is still rock-solid as well!

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
What exactly DID we do before UEFI? I remember BIOSs of course. But wasn't there also a fair amount jumpering and unjumpering pins?

I

I did a bit for bit copy of a HD to an early SATA SSD on a circa 2008 laptop that used a BIOS.
Then set the SSD as the boot drive

had no problem... haven't tried a similar task with a newer system yet...

I'll probably be doing it before the year is out. 1tb SSD space is pretty tempting.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
It's amazing how far computers have come to use a 7-year-old Gigabyte as your main PC...I'm in the same boat. My current main PC's last BIOS update was 2013. I had to do some tricks to get my 1080 Ti working in it (beta BIOS) & use some add-in cards for certain things, but it's still plugging away, working like a champ even after all these years! My wife's Hackintosh is circa 2011 & is still rock-solid as well!
This is my "good" computer...

*-firmware
description: BIOS
vendor: Dell Inc.
physical id: 0
version: A16
date: 05/18/2016
size: 64KiB
capacity: 12MiB
capabilities: pci pnp upgrade shadowing cdboot bootselect edd int13floppy1200 int13floppy720 int13floppy2880 int5printscreen int9keyboard int14serial int17printer acpi usb biosbootspecification netboot uefi
*-cpu
description: CPU
product: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4570 CPU @ 3.20GHz
vendor: Intel Corp.
physical id: 3a
bus info: cpu@0
version: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4570 CPU @ 3.20GHz
slot: SOCKET 0
size: 1302MHz
capacity: 3800MHz
width: 64 bits
clock: 100MHz
I bought it as a refurb a couple years ago, and AFAIC, it's amazing. Blows away the c2d it replaced, does everything I need, and does it fairly quickly. I paid ~$250 for it. I always said I'd never buy a prebuilt machine, but if this thing went up, I'd get the same basic thing, though it might be a couple years newer.

Reactions: Kaido

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I bought it as a refurb a couple years ago, and AFAIC, it's amazing. Blows away the c2d it replaced, does everything I need, and does it fairly quickly. I paid ~$250 for it. I always said I'd never buy a prebuilt machine, but if this thing went up, I'd get the same basic thing, though it might be a couple years newer.
Amazing value that you can get in 4th-gen, and now these days in 6th/7th-gen refurb quads.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
so just moved from an ancient seagate SATA SSD to a brand new WD and it was completely uneventful. took like 30 minutes total. macrium to copy and then aomei to move that damn windows recovery partition to the back of the drive.

the real question is going to be how much windows freaks out when i move this drive into a new board and processor and then the one that i had so much trouble with into this computer :D

Reactions: Captante