Ubuntu 10.10 -- A Perfect 10?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

VinDSL

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2006
www.lenon.com
how to customize conky? I like yours alot, but would also like cpu, gpu temp.
I was reading back through this thread, and I must have missed this the first time.

The used to add temps to conky, but IMHO it starts looking too busy.

Instead, I use a combination of lm-sensors and sensors-applet -- and I stick them in the top panel.

Here's a screenie of it (top panel / graph only mode)...

sensors-applet.png

There are other display options available, but 'graph only' is the least intrusive looking. :sneaky:

Uppsala9496

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 2001
I've started having this problem, about a week ago.

I autostart conky (at boot) via a shell script.

The way I fixed the problem was by delaying the conky startup for 30 seconds.

Here's my present script...

Code:
#!/bin/bash
sleep 30 && conky;

Haven't had the problem since... ;)

Where is this located/how did you do it?

I have conky running with your look with some information modifications. Love the look - THANKS

Would like to have this go at startup with the delay, just don't know where to put the commands you provided.

RavenSEAL

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2010
I just installed this, i was somewhat disappointed after 9.04(?)...but i guess it had to do with the fact that i used windows too much. I'm loving it, really fast, reliable, chrome runs great! About to install it in my laptop.

VinDSL

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2006
www.lenon.com
Where is this located/how did you do it?

Would like to have this go at startup with the delay, just don't know where to put the commands you provided.
Using the code...

Code:
#!/bin/bash
sleep 30 && conky;

Initial step

• Make a shell script (plain text file) using gedit (or whatever text editor you prefer)
  • Copy n' paste the above code into it
  • Save the script to: /home/<YOUR USERNAME>/.config/autostart/conky-start-delayed.sh
This takes care of your shell script and saves it to the correct path.

Final Step

• Go to the Ubu startup app: System -> Preferences -> Startup Applications
  • +Add
  • Name: Conky
  • Command: sh /home/<YOUR USERNAME>/.config/autostart/conky-start-delayed.sh
  • Comment: Delayed Auto Startup
  • Save
This will autostart your script at boot.

That's it... ;)

I have conky running with your look with some information modifications. Love the look - THANKS
My pleasure!

VinDSL

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2006
www.lenon.com
I just installed this, i was somewhat disappointed after 9.04(?)...but i guess it had to do with the fact that i used windows too much. I'm loving it, really fast, reliable, chrome runs great! About to install it in my laptop.
Hang in there! It's a dev version...

I'm already getting 20 second boot times !

7-year old LanParty mobo - P4EE CPU - 1GB RAM :thumbsup:

Zuul-maverick-20100920-2.png

VinDSL

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2006
www.lenon.com
I got bored and installed the Gnome 3 Shell in 10.10.

It's rather rudimentary, but it works...

gnome3.png

It will be released as part of Ubu 11.04 (March, 2011) but I didn't feel like waiting.

If you like to play around with this stuff, I highly recommend making a new user... :cool:

Last edited:

Uppsala9496

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 2001
Fresh install Sunday (maybe Monday) or just upgrade from 10.04?

My ubuntu machine is primarily a htpc. The hardware is superior to my main rig, but I'm just too damn lazy to switch them around.
Also have ubuntu on a netbook. Don't really save anything on it, so I may just do a fresh install on that .

Really torn on the desktop though. I finally have it running the way I like it, especially when it comes to movies. Nice that I can use my android phone with the VLC app to act as a remote control. To upgrade or do a fresh install....

VinDSL

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2006
www.lenon.com
Fresh install Sunday (maybe Monday) or just upgrade from 10.04?
10.10 aka 10.10.10 Final was just released.

I did a fresh install...

10.10.10.png

LoL! I *knew* I would be too lazy to start all over again, so I fsck'ed my 10.10 partition, while it was mounted. :biggrin:

This really is the best Ubuntu yet!

I can't wait to get started on 11.04...

Lord Banshee

Golden Member
Sep 8, 2004
I have to agree best Ubuntu yet.. I have it installed 10.10 on my T61p no problems everything just worked (so far). For once STR(Suspend to Ram) just works, last couple Ubuntu's i've tried it never worked right on my laptop..

Now only need to migrate my needs of Office products for my laptop... Hmm anyone try the Office web versions on Ubuntu (in firefox or chrome)?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I'm still deciding whether I should stay with LTS or upgrade. I'm leaning towards sticking with LTS.

Alienwho

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
I always get disappointed with ubuntu on notebooks. I have an envy 15 and the fact that the trackpad doesn't work and I have yet to find a way to fix it really turns me off. Also I can't just close the lid and go into hibernate mode. The fans start to scream and computer just crashes.

It's so hard to use ubuntu when windows 7 is so sleek and perfect. I have little reason to install it on my desktop (where it would actually work correctly) because I just use my desktop for games. Kind of sucks cause I really want to use it.

VinDSL

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2006
www.lenon.com
I always get disappointed with ubuntu on notebooks.[...]
I hear ya...

I've been running Mint 7 (an Ubu fork) on my portables. But, Mint 7 is about to be orphaned.

Soooo... I'll probably give Mint 9 a whirl, on my laptop and netbook.

The funny thing is, I can't stand Mint on the desktop. Mint works fine, but it just doesn't *look* right, IMHO.

The antithesis is, I can't stand Ubu on portables. LoL!

Lord Banshee

Golden Member
Sep 8, 2004
Man it can never be perfect :)

Tried to install 10.10 on my old machine which i use a cheap HTPC but it has massive graphics problems, after installing and first boot right to xtrem no gui, no errors, just command line. This kind of thing will always keep Linux from taking on Windows as a real threat in the Consumer market, i would say Mac too but OSX is built for a small subset of hardware which i am sure Ubuntu/Linux would work great if it didn't have to worry about 5+ year old components made by some company it never heard of.

Anyway i am sure I'll get it figure out but don't have time right now...

On other news so far 10.10 is working great on my laptop T61p, i'd give it a go Alienwho you never know.

VinDSL

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2006
www.lenon.com
I'm still deciding whether I should stay with LTS or upgrade. I'm leaning towards sticking with LTS.
If 10.04.1 is working for you, keep it.

The problem, for quite a few ppl (based on posts in the Development & Programming on Ubuntu Forums, e.g. not just n00bs) is 10.04.x doesn't work correctly with their hardware, whereas 10.10 does. In those cases, the choice would be obvious.

Personally, I dual-boot 10.04.1 & 10.10 on this machine (primary desktop box). That way, I have my bases covered.

When 11.04 hits the toolchain repos, I'll wipe 10.04.1 LTS and install 'Natty Narwhal'... and life goes on.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Yea, it's working fine. I'm using 10.04 on my Eee, and an old Northwood desktop. I had issues upgrading to 10.04 on my desktop(it had been step incremented since 8.04), but a clean install straightened it out. I don't have any complaints :^)

zokudu

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2009
Downloading 10.10 to give Ubuntu a whirl. Never messed with it before used Fedora till I dropped Debian on my laptop and I'm getting bored so yay new OS time.

VinDSL

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2006
www.lenon.com
Downloading 10.10 to give Ubuntu a whirl.[...]
I've been giving my fresh install a whirl for about 12 hours, and I'm back in the ballpark.

vindsl-desktop-11-0ct-2010.png

Messed around a lot with the disk partitions, got Compiz configured, reinstalled Conky, etc.

That'll do, for today... ;)

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Does anyone know why Ubuntu 10.10 is using between 500 and 700mb of ram?

Lubuntu 10.10 was just released. I'm going to give it a whirl.

Ksyder

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2006
After Microsoft revoked my Windows 7 key due to me being an idiot and buying it off ebay, now, after a few times in the past couple of years of giving Ubuntu a try, this time I think I'm going to stick with it, now that I didn't need command line, etc to do things like simply install Flash.

Running the 10.10 64 bit version. Don't know too much at all about how Linux works. What I DO know, is that the Ubuntu software center works fine, and darn fast, too. I know enough to have bought an Nvidia gpu for this Linux machine. About the only command I know for Linux i know is "sudo apt-get install *"

So, you will be seeing more of me in here...:)

Ksyder

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2006
Here's a question... when zooming in firefox, the text is not fitting to the screen, in other words, I still have to scroll way to the right to see all of the text. I didn't have this problem in Windows. Any ideas?

Just to add, after looking at the FF settings, I didn't see anything...but if I enable "zoom text only" it will fix the text to the screen, but this is not what I want. I want all of the page to zoom but still shrink to fit the width of the screen.

Last edited:

KeypoX

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2003
this is the best ubuntu yet. It was shaky in the beta, worse beta/alphas i have ever tried. But since RC, it has only gotten better.

Its fast, tearing is finally gone, low cpu usage, 64bit flash, win 7 snappy windows and jump lists. Only thing is memory usage is way up, though doesnt bother me, 1GB with 10 open tabs. Not bad worth it for all the improvments.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
I just installed 10.10, my first time trying any sort of linux. Took an hour, everything works, it's fast, and it installed all the software I need. My only question is, why doesn't everyone use this?

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
i just tossed it in virtualbox on my 2008 server machine to run squid

its kinda slow, but its virtualbox not taking mouseclicks well