Ubuntu 10.10 -- A Perfect 10?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

VinDSL

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2006
www.lenon.com
Okay, I'm home now. Let me give you another quick n' dirty tutorial.

This "buttons on the wrong side" thing is the most common complaint I've read about Ubuntu 10.04/10.10 -- and the most easily addressed! o_O

The window controls placement simply depends on which theme you use -- that's all. Changing it will take 30 seconds! It's actually a function of Metacity, not the Ubuntu core system.

Here's a snappie of my current custom theme:

current-theme-left-controls.png

I started with the Ambiance Theme (left side window controls). Then, I customized it with:

• New Wave Controls
  • Ambiance Window Borders
  • Human Icons, skinned with the Breathe-Icon-Theme

This is the way I like Ubu to look -- cutting edge & outside the box!

Now, let's say I'm a Winders Guy, that occasionally plays around with Linux.

I would start with the New Wave Theme (right side window controls). Then, I would customize it with (the same):

• New Wave Controls
  • Ambiance Window Borders
  • Human Icons, skinned with the Breathe-Icon-Theme

Wallah! Personally, I love the left side window controls, but I'm not a MS user! :whiste:

current-theme-right-controls.png

That's it! Simple pimple, eh what?

Linux is infinitely configurable! You're limited only by your imagination... :cool:

Last edited:

VinDSL

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2006
www.lenon.com
nVidia 256.53 Drivers were released (yesterday).

10.10 is looking better than ever! Compiz is fantastic!

This is where I got 256.53: nVidia Drivers 256.53 Certified

• Fixed a bug that prevented XvMC from initializing in most cases.
  • Added support for xorg-server video driver ABI version 8, which will be included in the upcoming xorg-server-1.9 series of releases.
  • Fixed a bug that caused extremely slow rendering of OpenGL applications on X screens other than screen 0 when using a compositing manager.
  • Fixed a regression introduced after 256.35 that caused stability problems on GPUs such as GeForce GT 240.
  • Fixed a slow kernel virtual address space leak observed whenstarting and stopping OpenGL, CUDA, or VDPAU applications.
  • Fixed a bug that left the system susceptible to hangs when running two or more VDPAU applications simultaneously.

256.53-compiz.png

Apr 20, 2008
That cube looks rough. Any way to use Anti-Aliasing on the desktop level?

(*nix noob, just set up a P4 3.2ghzHT rig as my router using Fedora 13)

VinDSL

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2006
www.lenon.com
That cube looks rough. Any way to use Anti-Aliasing on the desktop level?
Not AFAIK. It's just something you have to live with...

The important part is not getting tearing, smearing, and the jaggies when you're spinning the cube -- and, I'm not getting any of this. It'll whip around as fast as I can move the mouse.

Truly, 10.10 is the fastest, best looking, desktop I've used on this machine.

I just hope it stays this way, when the final is released...

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
Hey do you know how ubuntu rolls out nvidia drivers? The ones they use always seem to be old. I know i could download from nvidia and update but thats a pain.

Yea, you should avoid manually installing them from nVidia whenever possible because they overwrite files managed by the package manager so Xorg updates can break them. Personally, I never pay attention to the version I have installed unless I have a problem which is rare.

KeypoX

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2003
No, I don't...

Personally, I use the x-swat PPA. They're V quick!

I was surprised they didn't have it available today. o_O

Ahh thats a good idea. No manual install sounds nice. Im gonna install the beta tomorrow, alpha 2 and 3 was slow for me. I wanna see the new installer too.

Yea, you should avoid manually installing them from nVidia whenever possible because they overwrite files managed by the package manager so Xorg updates can break them. Personally, I never pay attention to the version I have installed unless I have a problem which is rare.

Yeah and everytime kernel gets updated you gotta fix it. PIA. But using the x-swat PPA should fix all that, i think.

KeypoX

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2003
Should i go 64 bit? I used to use it. But it become such a pain. Every program needed extra work to get installed and/or working. But I dont see that much at all now.

KeypoX

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2003
I went with 64 bit. I do like the new installer. It was a bit clunky as far as being able to fill in info as the install was happening. But its still a great idea.

KeypoX

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2003
Now the long wait to November for Mint 10 "Julia". :hmm:

why? For a green theme, that you can add later. The new ubuntu isntaller installed some restricted extras now too. So the differences between mint and ubuntu are even more slim.

Anyways its still pretty slow for me compared to 10.04. But could be due to video driver. Gonna wait for it to get updated via x swat.

you can also get mint update, mint backup and mint menu in ubuntu if you like them.

Last edited:

VinDSL

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2006
www.lenon.com
10.10 has been running great for me, once I tweaked it a little.

Firefox is a bloated pig. I gave up on Fx 4. Fx 3.6.10pre is tolerable for listening to streaming audio, but it's horribly slow for browsing. I'm basically using it as an internet radio. I've been complaining about performance issues for months. It doesn't have anything to do with Maverick. Fx ≥ 3.6 runs like molasses on 10.04 Lucid too!

I downloaded the latest stable channel release of Chrome (6.0.472.53) today. It's flying like the wind, as usual. And, Chrome 7 is in the pipeline. Heh! Google has been releasing major upgrades every 6 weeks. :eek:

Anyway, welcome aboard! I hope it works out for you.

It's a little lonely in this thread... :cool:

jkroeder

Dec 7, 2009
I've got the beta installed via WUBI.

Had Mint 9 on prior to this and could never get my GTX 460 to work on there.

GTX 460 drivers seem to work fine in 10.10 but sound doesn't work on my P55A-UD3P board.

Also, I noticed that Ubuntu simply doesn't read a lot of my CD/DVD-R's. They come up as blank but in Win7, they work fine.

zokudu

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2009
Any word on Opera stability? I know you use Chrome Vin but I've been using Opera for years and had heard there were some linux stability issues on Ubuntu. It's been working great for me on debian but was just curious if they fixed the issues from 10.04.

mcveigh

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2000
I've been running 10.10 from early beta. I use chrome and love it.

I have a weird conky issue. I have it set to run at login, but when it runs it is on top of everything including any windows I open up later and even the dock panels.

if I close it then run it again it sits there and behaves nicely. DO I have to pass some kind of background parameter to it?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Any word on Opera stability? I know you use Chrome Vin but I've been using Opera for years and had heard there were some linux stability issues on Ubuntu. It's been working great for me on debian but was just curious if they fixed the issues from 10.04.

I haven't used Opera extensively, but it runs pretty good in 10.04. Firefox is still my primary browser.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
I haven't used Opera extensively, but it runs pretty good in 10.04. Firefox is still my primary browser.

I have been using Opera 10.61 on Ubuntu 10.04 as my main browser, it does run faster then Firefox and stability is very good in my experience,worst one was 10.50 version but 10.61 has made a big difference in my experience.

VinDSL

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2006
www.lenon.com
Any word on Opera stability? I know you use Chrome Vin but I've been using Opera for years and had heard there were some linux stability issues on Ubuntu.[...]
I tried various versions of Opera recently, and I couldn't get any of them to run flash games properly, i.e. Farmville and Cafe World on Facebook.

The new Opera is very pretty! I wish it would have worked for me, but it didn't.

I haven't tried in on 10.10...

VinDSL

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2006
www.lenon.com
I have a weird conky issue. I have it set to run at login, but when it runs it is on top of everything including any windows I open up later and even the dock panels.

if I close it then run it again it sits there and behaves nicely. DO I have to pass some kind of background parameter to it?
I've started having this problem, about a week ago.

I autostart conky (at boot) via a shell script.

The way I fixed the problem was by delaying the conky startup for 30 seconds.

Here's my present script...

Code:
#!/bin/bash
sleep 30 && conky;

Haven't had the problem since... ;)