Uber TF2 update today

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

greenhawk

Platinum Member
Feb 23, 2011
I have two problems with the reserved slots and kicking slots concept.
1) The server shows up as 30/32, but two slots are reserved, so it's really a 30/30. That's an annoyance, especially with the new auto-search. I can live with it though.
2) The server lets you in, you're playing, but all of a sudden you get kicked because a reserved lister joined and the server needs to clear another two reserved slots. That's the stuff that causes me to blacklist the server, because I don't want to play on a server that kicks you mid-game while doing nothing wrong.

Those types of servers I can agree with are worth just black listing. You can not join it as when you try, the game does join, then gets kicked giveing you a message that MUST be clicked on before you can try to re-join.

Getting kicked is always going to suck, but at least on the server I play on it is a little nicer. It defaults to some in-built rules, with one being people staying in spawn (ie: afk) are first to go. You get a message, "20 seconds to leave spawn or be kicked", then it counts down. Only a issue with the teams are unbalanced and your who team is being spawn camped, so 1/2 the server could be kicked on short notice.

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
Most servers don't use that style of afk manager. They use the one that will kick you for inactivity after x minutes.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I have two problems with the reserved slots and kicking slots concept.
1) The server shows up as 30/32, but two slots are reserved, so it's really a 30/30. That's an annoyance, especially with the new auto-search. I can live with it though.
2) The server lets you in, you're playing, but all of a sudden you get kicked because a reserved lister joined and the server needs to clear another two reserved slots. That's the stuff that causes me to blacklist the server, because I don't want to play on a server that kicks you mid-game while doing nothing wrong.

I understand having access for your own clan members/friends, and certainly for server admins, but having the server kick its way through the list to clear reserved slots is obnoxious, and even better, those slots shouldn't show up in a search, although I don't know if TF2 supports hidden private slots.

Good servers won't have that #1 problem you listed, because they know to hide their reserved slots so a 30/30 server with 2 reserved slots will still only show up as 30/30 for everyone while the reserve players know there are still 2 spots open.

I understand not liking getting kicked because of a reserve player, but they generally get that for donating to keep the server running. It's quite fair.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
I recently got back into this after it went F2P. One thing that annoys me is the auto team balancing. Last night I was playing on a 2Fort server and I had capped the enemy intelligence twice. Next time I die I'm on the other team. I play well and the game rewards me by putting me on the losing team? Such crap.

Is that something that's server specific or do all of them do that? If it's server specific, is there any way to tell which ones auto balance before you join?

That nitpick aside, I forgot how much I like the game. I stopped playing right after they started introducing the new "toys" so I'm having fun unlocking stuff and trying different strategies. I just got the sandman last night, good times.

it is random, i've been in games where i just joined and have almost no points yet and it switches me, so choosing which player is not like that. in any case balance i sbetter than the alternative...everyone rage quitting because the teams are stacked.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Pretty much every time I open this game I have to wait 15 minutes for an update. WTF.

you dont leave steam on?

its been more rapid in the last week but well, class patching and free will do that.

new items and the rest, while it is more frequent than other games, i've not noticed any heinous update schedule, only if u basically play game almost never iwll you be bothered by such patching

NoSoup4You

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
I've noticed some people have some pretty OP weapons that weren't around when I stopped playing TF2 last time around. Are all weapons obtainable through random drops or are some only available with $$$ via the Mann Store?

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
i'm pretty sure none are purchase exclusive, some are random drop others can also be crafted.