Uber TF2 update today

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
For those who aren't aware or haven't been following, there will be a massive TF2 update today.

teamfortress.com/uberupdate/

This is following the format that the updates used to have in the beginning, where they released new info each day before it, and then the whole shebang on the last day (today). There will be Meet the Medic and multiple new items (some with new mechanics) for all of the classes (well, nothing for engie yet - probably will be hidden on today's page like the scout on the second page and the pyro on yesterday's page), and the medic who will show up today. I'm hoping there will be new achievements too.

Highlights:
a full-on demoknight set
Finally, a valid replacement for the default sniper rifle
Triple jump for the scout
New hype mechanic for the scout
Flare-gun blast jump for the pyro
The soldier will be able to goomba stop
Some awesome stuff for the heavy to make it faster (crazy fast mingun, etc...)

GET PUMPED!

Liet

Golden Member
Jun 9, 2001
I used to love TF2. Something about all the hats turned me off it. :(

Phobic9

Golden Member
Apr 6, 2001
I used to love TF2. Something about all the hats turned me off it. :(

Same, I really was addicted to the game up until right after they released the weapon upgrade features into the game. I quit right before they started adding hats wich still make me "WTF?".

Seems like they're adding a lot to the game though. I'd be completely overwhelmed.

Feb 4, 2009
Alright I'm suckered back in & I have to mention this.....could it be time for another AT Fight Night? We have had a couple of good ones.

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004
This update looks pretty sweet! I've put in ~1100 hours in TF2 since Oct 2007 but haven't really played much in the last 6 months. I wasn't even aware of the update until now.

It's awesome that they continue to update this game so extensively years after it's been released!

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Sweet, looks great and I'm in for any fight nights that are planned.

I'll bring the beer!

KT

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
I miss the original Team Fortress.

Play fortress forever - http://www.fortress-forever.com/ its about the closet your going to get to a real team fortress game.

As for the uber update, I am not interested. TF2 is no longer a real team fortress game, its a mix of an online store, and a role playing game.

I bought tf2 in the orange box, played a few hours, and set it to the side in favor of Fortress Forever.

The only thing this uber updates means to me, hopefully the original left 4 dead maps are getting close to release for left 4 dead 2.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
TF2 used to be fun before they started updating it and adding all sorts of crazy crap. The first few weapons were nicely balanced and good for certain situations or for advanced players (e.g. Natasha, original Backburner). Around the time of the Demoman/Soldier update, they really went apeshit and ruined the game.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Aside from MMOs, I believe I have put more time into TF2 than any other game. Looking forward to playing some tonight with friends.

Josh123

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2002
Play fortress forever - http://www.fortress-forever.com/ its about the closet your going to get to a real team fortress game.

As for the uber update, I am not interested. TF2 is no longer a real team fortress game, its a mix of an online store, and a role playing game.

I bought tf2 in the orange box, played a few hours, and set it to the side in favor of Fortress Forever.

The only thing this uber updates means to me, hopefully the original left 4 dead maps are getting close to release for left 4 dead 2.

Ya, I tried TF2 when I got it for free somehow and after a few minutes in I removed it. It didn't have that feel to it that the original did for me. I'll have to check out Fortress Forever when I get home tonight.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
I liked it up until the point where every class started getting more than just a secondary set of gear. I just didn't want to deal with it, I liked how you could get into it casually but now you have to wonder whether every spy is using a different kind of watch or a special dagger because they all behave differently and every other class is the same way with half a dozen differently performing gear sets. Which is fine, I just wasn't looking for a powergaming experience when I started playing TF2.

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
Only when it comes to the topic of Team Fortress.

No mention of FF in this thread about lan games or my threads on duke nukem, fallout new vegas, brink,,,,,,.

You brought it up in this Duke Nukem thread: http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=31856561&postcount=218

:p

And I wasn't trying to start anything; we've already had our TF2 vs FF discussion before and it was just something I noticed :) More power to you if you love the game!

Actually, let me fix my own statement - it seems every FF related post I see comes from you, not that every one of your posts is FF-related :)

Last edited:

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Actually, let me fix my own statement - it seems every FF related post I see comes from you, not that every one of your posts is FF-related :)

That is probably more to the point.

There are a lot of people that are not happy with the direction tf2 has been going, but nobody is talking about other Team Fortress games.

If someone is not happy with tf2, there are other options that they may not be aware of. My post are to let those people know that another Team Fortress game exist, and they have options.

I have not played FF in probably close to 2 years. I pretty much stopped playing FF when left 4 dead came out.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I loved TF2. But after the first few updates and hats and crazy shit were added it really turned me off of the game. I'd probably play still if there were vanilla servers from when the game was recently first released.

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004
I loved TF2. But after the first few updates and hats and crazy shit were added it really turned me off of the game. I'd probably play still if there were vanilla servers from when the game was recently first released.
I will never understand how people can bitch and moan so much about the updates. New weapons? CAN'T PLAY ANYMORE! New maps? NO SIR DO NOT WANT! Decorate items such as hats? CRAZY I CAN'T DEAL WITH IT!!!

And FF always has been and always will be a failed project. It only got released because TF2 was coming out. It should have been aborted. TFC is far superior to FF if you want that "classic" game play.

Last edited:

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
I will never understand how people can bitch and moan so much about the updates. New weapons? CAN'T PLAY ANYMORE! New maps? NO SIR DO NOT WANT! Decorate items such as hats? CRAZY I CAN'T DEAL WITH IT!!!

:thumbsup: