U.S. Steel laying off hundreds in Michigan

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I find it painfully ironic that you would ask this question on a forum for computer hardware enthusiasts. Many component vendors prices are currently up 25% due to tariffs and some of the smaller companies like Caselabs have been put out of business as a result of these tariffs.

https://pcpartpicker.com/trends/

Looks like cases would be the outlier then.

I can tell you my Thermaltake View 71 RGB is about $10 more than when I bought maybe 18 months ago. But, I don't think that tells us anything.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I find it painfully ironic that you would ask this question on a forum for computer hardware enthusiasts. Many component vendors prices are currently up 25% due to tariffs and some of the smaller companies like Caselabs have been put out of business as a result of these tariffs.

he is a russian troll. All of that is a bonus to him.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

artvscommerce

Golden Member
Jul 27, 2010

I can tell you my Thermaltake View 71 RGB is about $10 more than when I bought maybe 18 months ago. But, I don't think that tells us anything.

fyi- caselabs was a chassis manufacturer that was around for nearly 50 years. Their CEO cited the tariffs as the specific reason why they were forced to close their doors.

When I checked on components from some of the other vendors I buy parts from, I found that the prices were exactly 25% higher than before the tariffs went into effect.

I'm certainly not claiming that ALL pc components are up 25% due to tariffs, but there are countless examples to be found if you look around.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
fyi- caselabs was a chassis manufacturer that was around for nearly 50 years. Their CEO cited the tariffs as the specific reason why they were forced to close their doors.

When I checked on components from some of the other vendors I buy parts from, I found that the prices were exactly 25% higher than before the tariffs went into effect.

I'm certainly not claiming that ALL pc components are up 25% due to tariffs, but there are countless examples to be found if you look around.

I used to buy DFI and Abit parts too, they went bye bye before the tariffs were a glimmer in Trump's eye. Companies come and go in this segment. Did the tariffs directly cause the company you mention to go out of business? Maybe. But, then again other case manufacturers are still doing just fine, the PC enthusiast and gaming market continues to expand and grow. Sounds like more of a business problem than a tariff problem. Guess they should have had more diverse suppliers and had products beyond just desktop cases.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that with a trade war there can be winners and losers, causalities. But if this trade war was a good idea or not will be told not by any single small company's rise or fall (or from 200 people being temporarily laid off).

Last edited:

artvscommerce

Golden Member
Jul 27, 2010
I used to buy DFI and Abit parts too, they went bye bye before the tariffs were a glimmer in Trump's eye. Companies come and go in this segment. Did the tariffs directly cause the company you mention to go out of business? Maybe. But, then again other case manufacturers are still doing just fine, the PC enthusiast and gaming market continues to expand and grow. Sounds like more of a business problem than a tariff problem. Guess they should have had more diverse suppliers and had products beyond just desktop cases.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that with a trade war there can be winners and losers, causalities. But if this trade war was a good idea or not will be told not by any single small company's rise or fall (or from 200 people being temporarily laid off).

Well keep in mind, I brought all of this up because you implied you hadn't seen prices increase on things that you purchase.

You are correct in that there will be winners and losers but the data so far seems to suggest that american companies are the ones being hurt the most by the tariffs with many of the benefits going to non-american companies. Smaller american companies seem to be hit the hardest which is not good for competition or innovation in the market.

I am seeing plenty of evidence that this tariff strategy was not only ineffective at attaining its goals of reducing the trade deficit, but it actually seems to be accelerating the very issue it was supposed to address.

btw- DFI is still going strong, they just make industrial motherboards and systems now.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Well keep in mind, I brought all of this up because you implied you hadn't seen prices increase on things that you purchase.

You are correct in that there will be winners and losers but the data so far seems to suggest that american companies are the ones being hurt the most by the tariffs with many of the benefits going to non-american companies. Smaller american companies seem to be hit the hardest which is not good for competition or innovation in the market.

I am seeing plenty of evidence that this tariff strategy was not only ineffective at attaining its goals of reducing the trade deficit, but it actually seems to be accelerating the very issue it was supposed to address.

btw- DFI is still going strong, they just make industrial motherboards and systems now.

And I posted a link to show that PC part prices really haven't budged. And I think we'd both agree that the enthusiast PC market, the gaming market are expanding. I'd expect such luxury products to see a dent if the tariffs were really that harmful.

Didn't know DFI was still around, thanks. Haven't owned one since the socket A days, haven't seen them around.

artvscommerce

Golden Member
Jul 27, 2010
And I posted a link to show that PC part prices really haven't budged. And I think we'd both agree that the enthusiast PC market, the gaming market are expanding. I'd expect such luxury products to see a dent if the tariffs were really that harmful.

Didn't know DFI was still around, thanks. Haven't owned one since the socket A days, haven't seen them around.

The link you provided only shows dates ranges that were post-tariffs so its not really possible for the data to show the majority of the impact from tariffs. Prices also tend to go down (and sometimes up) on components over time. The chart doesn't show what the price changes would have been without the tariffs. However if you you dig a little deeper on this issue or talk to some of the component vendors you would see how big of a negative impact this has had.

The extra 25% has to come from somewhere- and it isn't coming from China. Companies are forced to choose between making thinner margins or passing the added costs on to the consumer. Either way it is the US that is paying these added costs and all we seem to be getting in return is an even larger trade deficit.

With the trade deficit growing and the cost of goods rising, I am really struggling to see how anyone can support this approach.

Reactions: DarthKyrie
Feb 4, 2009

Seasonic said around the beginning of the year their power supplies will cost approximately $20 more due to tariffs. Seems to be mostly true.
However this is one area where we sort of agree. If China is using some machinations to make the power supply at a lower cost, I would rather there be a tariff and accept I need to pay more for the power supply due to the tariff. Gives other more friendly countries or US business a chance to compete.
I would prefer to have a plan in place which the President does not appear to have. That is what I don't like about the twitter tariff threats.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Gives other more friendly countries or US business a chance to compete.
I would prefer to have a plan in place which the President does not appear to have. That is what I don't like about the twitter tariff threats.
I seriously doubt even these tariffs would allow any US-based company to manufacture PC components and price them competitively with Chinese-made products. Most hardware companies already moved facilities to China/Asia...bringing them back would be a massive headache for them, and who knows what will happen with the next US admin.

Reactions: artvscommerce

artvscommerce

Golden Member
Jul 27, 2010
I seriously doubt even these tariffs would allow any US-based company to manufacture PC components and price them competitively with Chinese-made products. Most hardware companies already moved facilities to China/Asia...bringing them back would be a massive headache for them, and who knows what will happen with the next US admin.

The tariffs are creating uncertainty and that is causing capital investment to be far more limited than it would be otherwise. This is yet another example of why this strategy will continue to accelerate the trade deficit rather than reduce it.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I'm old enough to remember when Republicans said that Obama was creating regulatory uncertainty and how that was very very bad.

Reactions: artvscommerce
Feb 4, 2009

I know but it’s hard to say what would have happened if the market was monitored better or if this went on for 8 years or if by some miracle Congress decides to agree and put some business incentives out.

Mandres

Jun 8, 2011
Isn't this just a symptom of the shift towards the new worker-less workplace? In 20 years will the manufacture of steel, or cars, or oil & gas products require even a fraction of the human labor that it does today? it sure doesn't seem like it.

Look at US Steel - invest 1+ billion into a new plant, and still layoff workers from the old one. Do you think that new plant needs anywhere near as many operators to run?

This isn't an R or a D thing, and certainly not a Trump thing. This is the new reality as walking, seeing, learning robots begin to take over every bit of physical work that our society and economy require. And that's a good thing, as long as those displaced workers are provided for from the same largesse that the new efficiency is creating.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Ummm, not trying to support Trump, but your thread title is misleading. "Less than 200" is not "hundreds".

Not to get all grammar-y, but technically anything over a hundred is hundreds, over a thousand is thousands, etc.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Isn't this just a symptom of the shift towards the new worker-less workplace? In 20 years will the manufacture of steel, or cars, or oil & gas products require even a fraction of the human labor that it does today? it sure doesn't seem like it.

Look at US Steel - invest 1+ billion into a new plant, and still layoff workers from the old one. Do you think that new plant needs anywhere near as many operators to run?

This isn't an R or a D thing, and certainly not a Trump thing. This is the new reality as walking, seeing, learning robots begin to take over every bit of physical work that our society and economy require. And that's a good thing, as long as those displaced workers are provided for from the same largesse that the new efficiency is creating.

I work in IT and can tell you automation is the wave of the future in this area as well.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004

My brother works at a car stereo place, and their prices shot up when the tariffs kicked in. Of course his sales (and commissions) went down a proportional amount. Fortunately I bought my new Kenwood right before that happened.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Yup. One of my favorite sayings is that the end goal of technology is 100% unemployment.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
And that's a good thing, as long as those displaced workers are provided for from the same largesse that the new efficiency is creating.

That would be Eevil Soshulism, boy! The ownership class only pays you when you're working for them. If they don't need you, they don't need you & it's all up to them to decide in the coming Capitalist utopia. Y'all can fuck right off & die for all they care.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004

It is a R or D thing and Andrew Yang has a solution for it.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

Haha, a major vendor I work with has started opening manufacturing in other parts of the world because they have to stay competitive. Hint, they didn't open it in the U.S.A.

Their prices didn't go down, just trying to stop the bleeding.

Guess what, the China plants have been doing it so long they are quite good at it. So far, the new plants are newbs and it shows

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
Russian spokesman, Moscow Mitch, has recommended that Michigan follow his example and sell out the United States so they too can land a sweet Russian steel rolling mill deal like he did in Kentucky.

MoscowMitch.jpeg

"Da! Kentucky economy strong now, like great bear manly Russian President rides!"

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
Not to get all grammar-y, but technically anything over a hundred is hundreds, over a thousand is thousands, etc.
No, two or more units of 100 is "hundreds". One hundred plus less than another hundred is not "hundreds" it is one hundred plus a fraction of another hundred.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
This seemed rather appropriate......

$