U.S. Rich may have to sell a yacht or two to pay higher taxes

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Doesn't matter, it had the desired affect of getting some of the rich that hate the country to leave.

Need the same thing to happen here. Hopefully falling over this physical cliff here accomplishes some of the same thing since it will affect the rich in one way or another or at least give their CPA's a headache.

What physical cliff are you speaking of and why would the rich fall off of it? Do you intend on pushing them because I do believe that would be considered murder?

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
I would assume that with your supposed superior intellect that you would know exactly how absurdly wrong you are. For some reason you don't though, I wonder why that is? I wouldn't call anyone who doesn't have a very basic understanding of mathematics intellectually superior to anyone but moderate to severely handicapped people.

Then again, perhaps that is exactly it. You were the absolute smartest out of everyone that rode the short bus to school with you, hence the "superior intellect".

Ask him about his collection of little girl toys.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
I love the way this thread turned out....even France's court rejected this BS.

Is it too late for Self-Ownage of the Year thread nominations?

The court didnt reject the 75% tax. Simply the method suggested. So the law just needs a few adjustments (thats currently under way to comply with the supremre courts ruling) and its ready to go into effect.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
i hope i never have a successful business endeavour

because if i do, dmcowen will hate me by default :(

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
You know what will be a good idea if the rich start fleeing the U.S from tax increases we should have a party at the airport they are flying out of. A government official could be there and read a decree that they are banished from the U.S forever. People could celebrate one of the evil rich being banished from our country.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
You know what will be a good idea if the rich start fleeing the U.S from tax increases we should have a party at the airport they are flying out of. A government official could be there and read a decree that they are banished from the U.S forever. People could celebrate one of the evil rich being banished from our country.

If they fly out of O'Hare in Chicago I can be there for the send offs. :thumbsup:

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
1-5-2013

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/wealthy-may-defer-income-curb-231836567.html

Wealthy may defer income, curb some spending after U.S. cliff deal

With the fiscal cliff avoided and U.S. tax rates rising for higher income households, financial advisers have gone into overdrive to help their clients mitigate the negative effects while trying to benefit from the greater clarity.

For those living beyond their means or close to it, such a tax rise could force them to cut spending by selling a holiday home or a yacht or curb dining out at expensive restaurants.

To feel comfortable, they may need to trim spending, alter investments or, in the worst case, sell one of two properties they own on Nantucket island in Massachusetts

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Monopolies in a true free market would have to survive on their own merits. In other words they would be forced to provide more cost effective goods and services to the consumer versus their competitors rather then relaying on and lobbying for government to intercede on their behalf. It is often government intervention which allows many monopolies today to strongly maintain their strangle hold on a given market place be it local, state or nation wide at the federal level when they collude with government at the expense of the consumer.

Monopolies got along just fine before colluding with government... The free market didn't work. We tried it for thousands of years.

3chordcharlie

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2004
The great thing about yachts is they automatically have negative value. They are the ultimate sink for disposable income.

3chordcharlie

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2004
Monopolies got along just fine before colluding with government... The free market didn't work. We tried it for thousands of years.
How exactly was the free market supposed to go naturally and perfectly about it's business of magically solving every possible problem, without intervention, when we hadn't even invented it yet?