U.S. Rich may have to sell a yacht or two to pay higher taxes

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
^^ Problem is mcowned is cutting off one of his legs and thining he can walk better without it.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
12-16-2012

http://news.yahoo.com/actor-depardieu-hits-back-french-pm-over-tax-120232830--sector.html

Actor Depardieu hits back at French PM over tax exile

Actor Gerard Depardieu, accused by French government leaders of trying to dodge taxes by buying a house over the border in Belgium, retorted that he was leaving because "success" was now being punished in his homeland.

He said he had paid 145 million euros ($190.08 million) in taxes since beginning work as a printer at the age of 14.

The actor's move comes three months after Bernard Arnault, chief executive of luxury giant LVMH and France's richest man, caused an uproar by seeking to establish residency in Belgium

Belgian residents do not pay wealth tax, which in France is now levied on those with assets over 1.3 million euros ($1.7 million). Nor do they pay capital gains tax on share sales.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
12-16-2012

http://news.yahoo.com/actor-depardieu-hits-back-french-pm-over-tax-120232830--sector.html

Actor Depardieu hits back at French PM over tax exile

Actor Gerard Depardieu, accused by French government leaders of trying to dodge taxes by buying a house over the border in Belgium, retorted that he was leaving because "success" was now being punished in his homeland.

He said he had paid 145 million euros ($190.08 million) in taxes since beginning work as a printer at the age of 14.

The actor's move comes three months after Bernard Arnault, chief executive of luxury giant LVMH and France's richest man, caused an uproar by seeking to establish residency in Belgium

Belgian residents do not pay wealth tax, which in France is now levied on those with assets over 1.3 million euros ($1.7 million). Nor do they pay capital gains tax on share sales.

I sympathize with the excessive taxation, but the dude is not going to win many friends considering he has a collection of massive mansions.

People don't really want to hear about extremely rich people whining about hardship.

MagickMan

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2008
"You can shear a sheep many times, but you can only skin them once."

The OP and many others in this thread would do well to learn that. No one is going to run off the wealthy, no one is going to return us to the post-war tax rate, mcowen's a troll with as much knowledge about finance as he has foreign policy (which is none).

Here's the skinny: They'll let the tax rates for LT cap gains on the 1% slide back to near pre-cut levels, ST cap gains will be taxed as regular income, which will also fall back to pre-cut levels. I've talked with my congressman, he's an (R), and that's going to happen. They're going to keep the cuts for those in the third bracket and below, except for ST cap gains, which will see an increase across the board. That's about it, as far as taxation, except for a marginal tax break for small business. Some loopholes will be closed, fewer donations to NPOs, and some will be expanded, more incentives for MSAs and IRAs. Inheritance tax cut will be renewed, perhaps even lowered.

All the vitriol and "rich people suck, go away" is for naught, go back to your Cheetos and hentai.

OBLAMA2009

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2008
let them flee the u.s. and when the countries they go to nationalize their businesses and steal everything they own, maybe theyll appreciate what they had and will come back and be willing to pay taxes like everyone else

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Looks like there are few sane, rational people still left in France: Panel overturns 75% tax rate on rich because...wait for it.....wait for it......it's unconstitutional.

Well, duh. Oh, and I know this is going to turn that smile upsidedown for some, looks like Hollande's popularity is tanking.

Doesn't matter, it had the desired affect of getting some of the rich that hate the country to leave.

Need the same thing to happen here. Hopefully falling over this physical cliff here accomplishes some of the same thing since it will affect the rich in one way or another or at least give their CPA's a headache.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Doesn't matter, it had the desired affect of getting some of the rich that hate the country to leave.

Need the same thing to happen here. Hopefully falling over this physical cliff here accomplishes some of the same thing since it will affect the rich in one way or another or at least give their CPA's a headache.

Because it's not a just society until everyone is dragged down to your definition of financial fairness, right?

The good news is with this attitude you'll probably never gain any significant level of political power, and will likely just be a lonely voice on an politics and news sub-forum.

Seriously, if you spent half the time you spend posting here on actually achieving politically useful goals, you'd at least reach a lot more people. Hell if you devoted that energy to learning hacking and being part of anonymous you'd gain more than you have here. As it is you apparently get off on lots of negative attention from tech-nerds.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net

So when the rich leave, who's going to be paying for all the government programs? Can't wait until the rich leave and your taxes are increased to cover for them.

CaptainGoodnight

Golden Member
Oct 13, 2000
So when the rich leave, who's going to be paying for all the government programs? Can't wait until the rich leave and your taxes are increased to cover for them.

That is easy.

When the tax rate was 90% in the US, most of the rich were able to avoid taxes. (or at least a large part of the tax burden via loopholes.) They also contributed less to the overall percentage of the tax burden back then.

What was done in the past was place most of the tax burden to the poor and middle class. It was only during the 80's did we shift most the tax burden to the rich, by lowering the overall tax bracket percentage, and closing loopholes.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
The good news is with this attitude you'll probably never gain any significant level of political power, and will likely just be a lonely voice on an politics and news sub-forum.

Seriously, if you spent half the time you spend posting here on actually achieving politically useful goals, you'd at least reach a lot more people.

Like the old saying it takes money to make money same goes for Politics.

Believe me if I had the money to launch a Political Campaign I would.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
You have a weird view of the world. If the rich leaves this country who will fund your much desired social programs?

Rich people always have a tendency to avoid tax. They hardly pay anything. The socalled rich tax in Denmark accounts for less than 1%. Its the middleclass that carries society, always been. Rich and poor people are essentially just leeches. The poor for needing welfare, the rich for using loopholes and get tax cuts. While the rich are usually out of educational reach. The poor can be made into middleclass again with effort.

The graoh of a broken society:
economix-24percentilechart-custom1.jpg

Last edited:

Zivic

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2002
Like the old saying it takes money to make money same goes for Politics.

Believe me if I had the money to launch a Political Campaign I would.

and you are too ignorant and simple minded to ever be independently wealthy... besides, your time is pretty much consumed hating.... err, being jealous of those that do have money

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
I love the way this thread turned out....even France's court rejected this BS.

Is it too late for Self-Ownage of the Year thread nominations?

Albatross

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2001
Probably the president knew how this will turn out,all over the world politicians know how to play with people`s emotions.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
What lost revenue? You do realize that the rich don't actually make money themselves, right? They just skim it off the working class.

If the rich divest themselves of their income base to avoid paying taxes on it, guess what? The income base is still trucking along. They can't pack up the American worker who produces goods sufficient to be an American consumer.
The US economy is not reliant on the rich skimming money from the middle and lower classes.

I would assume that with your supposed superior intellect that you would know exactly how absurdly wrong you are. For some reason you don't though, I wonder why that is? I wouldn't call anyone who doesn't have a very basic understanding of mathematics intellectually superior to anyone but moderate to severely handicapped people.

Then again, perhaps that is exactly it. You were the absolute smartest out of everyone that rode the short bus to school with you, hence the "superior intellect".

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Rich people always have a tendency to avoid tax. They hardly pay anything. The socalled rich tax in Denmark accounts for less than 1%. Its the middleclass that carries society, always been. Rich and poor people are essentially just leeches. The poor for needing welfare, the rich for using loopholes and get tax cuts. While the rich are usually out of educational reach. The poor can be made into middleclass again with effort.

The graoh of a broken society:
economix-24percentilechart-custom1.jpg

Except that just isn't true, absurdly far from in it fact....