U.S. Navy-China showdown: Chinese try to halt U.S. cruiser in international waters

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Just move every Navy ship we have off the coast of china and blockade all Chinese ships. Put some aircraft carriers and missle cruisers in the area also.

So..... Basically go to war with our largest trading partner and an up and coming superpower, while abandoning all of our other navel missions (including those in actual war zones) because one of their ships got in the way of one of ours in international waters close to their shores? Yup, sounds like a great idea.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
So..... Basically go to war with our largest trading partner and an up and coming superpower, while abandoning all of our other navel missions (including those in actual war zones) because one of their ships got in the way of one of ours in international waters close to their shores? Yup, sounds like a great idea.

Apple will have no choice but to make their Iphones in America. It would be a Renaissance of American products and labor. And it would pull us out of this depression the same way the 40's did to it's own depression. We also wouldn't have to pay back the Chineses for all of our debt they bought. It seems pretty win-win if you ask me.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Clear evidence that people posting in P&N have all gone full retard. Thinking WelshBloke is sexy - hilarity!

:D

I'm too sexy for your thread too sexy for your thread
So sexy it hurts
And I'm too sexy for Taiwan too sexy for Taiwan
China and Japan
And I'm too sexy for P&N
Too sexy for P&N
No way I'm staying here

*flounces off*

rchiu

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2002
New report on China's acquisitions of European hardware to augment their growing military appetite: http://news.yahoo.com/special-report-chinese-military-39-secret-success-european-134407260.html I think WWIII is going to start in Asia, not the Middle East like so many armchair Fox News generals think.

China will not directly confront the US that's for sure, unless US get into the dispute Chinese have with their bordering countries. China has been dealing with imperialism and Japanese attack the past century and now that they are becoming a world power, they just want to flex their muscle and stand firm on anything to do with their sovereignty. Chinese communist party have to stand firm on the sovereignty issue, or else they lose control of the military, lose control of the mass population. Nationalism is CCP's weapon to firm up their control, so they will fiercely deal with anyone, any country that goes against their sovereignty/nationalism. Obama is not stupid, so up to now, the US hasn't pick side on any of the Diaoyu, Paracel, Spratly Islands dispute. As long as the US goes along with CCP's party line on Chinese sovereignty, Chinese not only won't attack the US, they can actually be a good economic partner.

But unlike China, quite a few extreme Muslim people actually want to see USA people dead. See the 911 attack, and the stuff US did in Iraq, Afghan, Pakistan recently is not making this situation any better. Maybe those countries won't attack US directly, but if you guys relax and focus on China instead, I wouldn't be surprised to see something like 911 happens again on US soil.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
Apple will have no choice but to make their Iphones in America. It would be a Renaissance of American products and labor. And it would pull us out of this depression the same way the 40's did to it's own depression. We also wouldn't have to pay back the Chineses for all of our debt they bought. It seems pretty win-win if you ask me.

This is laughable. Apple would not shift that production back to the US. They would be more then likely move their production lines to one of the many other Asian nations or into some other developing nation around the world. Never mind the field day Samsung would have against Apple if Apple were to move production back to the US and thus push the cost of making their products and eventual price up in an already competitive market for smartphones.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006

Lol. People are not going to buy $1000 Apple phones, your renaissance would destroy the economy.

rchiu

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2002
rchiu,

Still nothing to my questions? Here they are again = http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=35859190&postcount=195

What is the matter? You are not going to "pull a china" (running away with tails between legs, full of shame, humiliation, and losing face big time in public) on us like your ancestors did so many times before, right? :D

lol, are you some pathetic little kids seeking friends and wanting peoples attention? Is anyone obligated to response to your every rant when there are plenty of reference on wiki on Chinese claim but you just choose to ignore those claims that support Chinese view?

I am sure you know that Chinese (Taiwan) has a standing military with an airport on Taiping Island in the middle of the Spratly Island, so that's not a claim enough? What's supporting your claim that Philippines/Vietnam owns Spratly or Paracel? UNCLOS? LOL, US doesn't even recognize UNCLOS. But hey, I am sure you are going to go on and on about how big bad Chinese control Tibet and Xinjiang while the US killed most of the Indians to occupy the US continent and you don't mention a word about that.

Anyway, I get it, Chinese are bad, US are good. Go and believe that all you want, I am not trying to change you.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
This is laughable. Apple would not shift that production back to the US. They would be more then likely move their production lines to one of the many other Asian nations or into some other developing nation around the world. Never mind the field day Samsung would have against Apple if Apple were to move production back to the US and thus push the cost of making their products and eventual price up in an already competitive market for smartphones.

Samsung has bigger problems in Google (Motorola selling midrange phones at phenomenal prices and Nexus selling high end phone at budget prices). It'll probably affect Apple too but less.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
lol, are you some pathetic little kids seeking friends and wanting peoples attention? Is anyone obligated to response to your every rant when there are plenty of reference on wiki on Chinese claim but you just choose to ignore those claims that support Chinese view?

I am sure you know that Chinese (Taiwan) has a standing military with an airport on Taiping Island in the middle of the Spratly Island, so that's not a claim enough? What's supporting your claim that Philippines/Vietnam owns Spratly or Paracel? UNCLOS? LOL, US doesn't even recognize UNCLOS. But hey, I am sure you are going to go on and on about how big bad Chinese control Tibet and Xinjiang while the US killed most of the Indians to occupy the US continent and you don't mention a word about that.

Anyway, I get it, Chinese are bad, US are good. Go and believe that all you want, I am not trying to change you.

First of all, Taiwan =! commie china. Not hard to understand. Did you see Taiwan attacked anyone since 1949 as china did multiple times? Did you see Taiwan or anyone else stupid enough to claim almost the whole sea area (see the picture on post #9 in this thread) as china is doing?

You keep saying Wiki has information about china claims but you did not provide anything to back up your statements. Where are they? Where are the evidences that china had control (NOT from a faked map or from a book) of those areas before anyone else?

US did not sign UNCLOS but did you see US attacked, shot at, detained and then demanded ransom money from poor and unarmed fishermen as china has been doing? Did you see US claims Iraq and Afghan as its own land as china is doing with Tibet, Xinjiang, Inner Mongolia?

You keep bringing up about what US did hundreds of years ago. How about how china attacked and annexed its smaller neighbors for several thousands of years to get 3x as big currently? Hypocrite much?

Did I ever say US is good? You said that, not me. What I am SAYING is commie china is a sad pathetic bully only dare to pick on smaller neighbors but would not dare to take on someone who is as big or bigger. No wonder china and chinese would not dare to say or do anything about the 600,000 squared kilometers of land that Russian took from your ancestors since 1850s (after they slaughtered scores of chinese like sheeps). Would not dare to say anything when Russian Navy shot and sunk chines ships. Where are china "flex its muscle and show off a little" as you said? ROTFLMAO. How sad and pathetic. All big talk and zero action, typical of commie china and brainwashed chinese.

If you continue to stay in this thread, I will continue to bring facts and true history events to humiliate you, just like numerous countries humiliated your ancestors multiple times before. Understand that, 50 cents wumao? :rolleyes: Now go and post your bragging and big talk in Xinhua, Global Times, People Daily, and such. Those wumaos would welcome you there.

Last edited:

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002

In a leaked propaganda directive to 50 cent party internet commentators, their objective was stated as:

In order to circumscribe the influence of Taiwanese democracy, in order to progress further in the work of guiding public opinion, and in accordance with the requirements established by higher authorities to “be strategic, be skilled,” we hope that internet commentators conscientiously study the mindset of netizens, grasp international developments, and better perform the work of being an internet commentator. For this purpose, this notice is promulgated as set forth below:
(1) To the extent possible make America the target of criticism. Play down the existence of Taiwan.
(2) Do not directly confront [the idea of] democracy; rather, frame the argument in terms of “what kind of system can truly implement democracy.”
(3) To the extent possible, choose various examples in Western countries of violence and unreasonable circumstances to explain how democracy is not well-suited to capitalism.
(4) Use America’s and other countries’ interference in international affairs to explain how Western democracy is actually an invasion of other countries and [how the West] is forcibly pushing [on other countries] Western values.
(5) Use the bloody and tear-stained history of a [once] weak people [i.e., China] to stir up pro-Party and patriotic emotions.
(6) Increase the exposure that positive developments inside China receive; further accommodate the work of maintaining [social] stability.

You're doing a decent job, but you did kinda acknowledge Taiwan, although you pretended that it's part of China. Partial credit, maybe you'll get a 1/4 yuan.

uhohs

Diamond Member
Oct 29, 2005
A Chinese maritime patrol boat struck a Vietnamese fishing boat Jan. 3 near the Paracel Islands in the first incident under the new rules, according to Vietnamese state media. The Chinese used Tasers and batons to subdue the fishermen and confiscated their 5-ton catch of fish along with fishing equipment.
http://freebeacon.com/china-orders-foreign-fishing-vessels-out-of-most-of-the-south-china-sea/

http://www.scmp.com/news/china/arti...inan-requires-permission-fish-south-china-sea
http://www.dtinews.vn/en/news/024/3...men-becomes-sovereignty-issue-with-china.html

Ayah

Platinum Member
Jan 1, 2006
Lol. People are not going to buy $1000 Apple phones, your renaissance would destroy the economy.

You can produce in Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam or Taiwan, etc. etc. many other options that other American companies use.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Don't the phones already cost nearly $1000 before they're subsidized?

I remember a couple years ago there was a report that the iphone would only cost ~10 more if it was assembled in the US.

What people don't understand is that the marginal profit isn't huge, but it does exist, and the companies will sell out the US middle class to get it for the percentage of the US that owns the bulk of stocks.

Spungo

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2012
I remember a couple years ago there was a report that the iphone would only cost ~10 more if it was assembled in the US.
Wouldn't shock me. How long do people think it takes to make an iphone? 99% is done by machines. Even if you really suck at your job and it takes 10 minutes to assemble 1 phone, that couldn't cost more than $50 extra.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Wouldn't shock me. How long do people think it takes to make an iphone? 99% is done by machines. Even if you really suck at your job and it takes 10 minutes to assemble 1 phone, that couldn't cost more than $50 extra.

But it would knock a few people out of the ability to buy one, because of that they price it $10 cheaper and get more people. However, their idiotic "market analysis" doesn't take into account the wealth affect of producing the good here. Thus, if they produce it here and give 1,000 people jobs then maybe those 1,000 people will result in 4,000 people buying the phone, so on a net basis the country is ahead.

This is where these "free market" outsourcing shitheads utterly fail.

Spungo

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2012
This is where these "free market" outsourcing shitheads utterly fail.
Don't worry, they didn't fail. Have you seen Apple's stock price? Destroying America has never been more profitable :thumbsup:

It's also very profitable to destroy Iraq, Iran, Syria, Libya, Sudan.....

TheNiceGuy

Golden Member
Dec 23, 2004
This was all very interesting.
Had no idea about the "网评猿", or massive internet post propaganda staff hired by the Chinese communist party. Was wondering were all those rediculous offensive brainwashed comments were coming from.
Japan is a great country. There's a focus on peace, education, and a high standard of living here that I haven't seen anywhere else in the world I've traveled. The Chinese military and N. Korea are acting horribly and causing a lot of stress here. There's a lot to like about Japan. It'd be such a waste to see Japan get caught up in increased militarization. There may be some unintended consequences.

Last edited:

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
JADIZ_and_CADIZ_and_KADIZ_in_East_China_Sea.jpg

picute of the adiz if no one put it up already

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013

this situation is not that meaningful by itself. but the actions taken on it will have a large effect on the future of the world. we have to be careful like you say though. we need our economy to be stronger and causing a conflict will only put us in a worse situation. but we have to not let them go around blowing every thing up

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
Indians do not hate Japan...

inida is south asia not east asian. they are actually the most genetically diverse geographical landmass after africa. they are ussually described as caucasian although ethnicity is a overlaping layer of ancestors.