U.S moved up the deployment of a major "strike group" of ships to the Persian Gulf **link added**

TheNewbie

Jul 17, 2007
This comes from several unofficial websites/blogs I came across, so I won't bother linking, but it does seem to be reliable information.
The USS Nimitz Strike Group and USS Truman Strike Group were named and are supposed to join up with the USS Enterprise which is already present at the Persian Gulf.
I don't know if this muscle flexing means anything, I don't even know if Bush knows if it means anything...
Maybe we're looking for an opportunity?

Edit: as I said I'm talking about unofficial websites/blogs, but here is one for you.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Unless Congress declares war on someone I doubt deployments mean much other than for diplomatic pressure and/or to work with our current forces in their current field of operations.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Bush can pretty much attack anyone, country he wants. The president has done it in the past will and it will be done in the future.

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy
Originally posted by: eits
this is why countries hate us...

What? Because of unsubstantiated "I saw it on the intarweb so it must be true" posts on political forums?

:confused:

no, because we assert ourselves in potentially threatening positions in other countries backyards. we would hate china if they had carriers and ships positioned outside of los angeles, dc, and the gulf of mexico. this kind of aggressive stance towards iran is only going to help move the iranian people from hating their government to favoring their government in order to seek security. no one likes being threatened and manipulated.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

What? Because of unsubstantiated "I saw it on the intarweb so it must be true" posts on political forums?

no, because we assert ourselves in potentially threatening positions in other countries backyards. we would hate china if they had carriers and ships positioned outside of los angeles, dc, and the gulf of mexico. this kind of aggressive stance towards iran is only going to help move the iranian people from hating their government to favoring their government in order to seek security. no one likes being threatened and manipulated.

We move our ships all over the world, just as other navies from other countries do the same.

These two deployments if true could very well be replacing two groups already stationed in the area. Not to mention they are most likely supporting any operations within Iraq. We shouldnt worry what radical nutjob nations think when we move our ships, we really shouldnt.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

Half of having this kind of naval muscle is showing it off to people just to remind them you're there.

The US sorties the 7th Fleet out of Yokosuka to the East China sea when the Chinese look to beat the war drums over Taiwan every now and again.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Genx87

We move our ships all over the world, just as other navies from other countries do the same.

These two deployments if true could very well be replacing two groups already stationed in the area. Not to mention they are most likely supporting any operations within Iraq. We shouldnt worry what radical nutjob nations think when we move our ships, we really shouldnt.

Yep. Movements in and of themselves mean little. Part of this may be to remind people in the area that we can move as we please, but even so there are more pragmatic reasons not to do with impending attacks, assuming this report is even true.

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
If you want to find one of the numerous threads about the U.S. posturing for war with Iran, use the search button. This might as well be considered a repost.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Mxylplyx
If you want to find one of the numerous threads about the U.S. posturing for war with Iran, use the search button. This might as well be considered a repost.

There are many threads about possible war with Iran, but this one deals specifically with a current alleged situation. As such it isn't a repost.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
We've had this nuclear strike group in the area for over a year now so this is nothing new.

It is nice however to have them at the ready should anyone try and do something on 9-11.

I would certainly have prefered glass blowing to this disaster in Iraq.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Originally posted by: TheNewbie
This comes from several unofficial websites/blogs I came across, so I won't bother linking, but it does seem to be reliable information.
The USS Nimitz Strike Group and USS Truman Strike Group were named and are supposed to join up with the USS Enterprise which is already present at the Persian Gulf.
I don't know if this muscle flexing means anything, I don't even know if Bush knows if it means anything...
Maybe we're looking for an opportunity?

Edit: as I said I'm talking about unofficial websites/blogs, but here is one for you.

The Nimitz newsletter has them wrapping up some joint exercises and their current deployment, heading to Guam to pick up some aircraft and then heading home to San Diego (arrival date of Sept. 30).

Their orders could have changed in the last 3 days but I haven't seen anything to indicate that.

http://www.nimitz.navy.mil/_files/pdf/090807.pdf

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com

are you joking? you think that we just move our ships in an aggressive position in the persian gulf during talks with iran just because everyone else's navy does the same thing? what country do you think has been in the most wars and has killed the most number of people in the past 50 years? you don't think that people in other countries see bush's bloodthirst and feel that they are being manipulated and controlled by a country by which they aren't sovereign?

nevermind... you're right... they hate us because we're free. :roll: dumbest excuse ever...

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

are you joking? you think that we just move our ships in an aggressive position in the persian gulf during talks with iran just because everyone else's navy does the same thing? what country do you think has been in the most wars and has killed the most number of people in the past 50 years? you don't think that people in other countries see bush's bloodthirst and feel that they are being manipulated and controlled by a country by which they aren't sovereign?

nevermind... you're right... they hate us because we're free. :roll: dumbest excuse ever...

What constitutes an agressive manner versus a non-agressive manner?

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com

What constitutes an agressive manner versus a non-agressive manner?

posturing in a manner that might be considered a warning

narcotic

Golden Member
Jul 15, 2004
Didn't Bush say something about dealing with Iran before he leaves office?
Anyway, as someone noted here, though updated, this report still seems to be one in a million similar ones we've heard over the recent months.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
seems to me we moved a third carrier group earlier this year...could be wrong though. *shrug* so what?

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003

If our ships are in international waters what's their (legitinmate) complaint?

And you're talking about our agressive stance towards Iran? The country that's sending IED's to Iraq, and don't they have a guy Akmadinejad (sp?) who's always making agressive and provocative statements?

No, nobody should say anything bad or agressive to Iran, they're the global *nice guys* :roll:

Frankly, I don't give a fvck if the Iranian Ayatollahs are mad or not, or like us or don't.

Maybe it's their turn to give a crap whether WE like them or not.

Fern

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Fern

Fern
They aren't playing the shell game with their nuke program because they think we like them ;)

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
this kind of aggressive stance towards iran is only going to help move the iranian people from hating their government to favoring their government in order to seek security. no one likes being threatened and manipulated.
You win.

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
Originally posted by: Fern

If our ships are in international waters what's their (legitinmate) complaint?

And you're talking about our agressive stance towards Iran? The country that's sending IED's to Iraq, and don't they have a guy Akmadinejad (sp?) who's always making agressive and provocative statements?

No, nobody should say anything bad or agressive to Iran, they're the global *nice guys* :roll:

Frankly, I don't give a fvck if the Iranian Ayatollahs are mad or not, or like us or don't.

Fern

WE'RE IN THEIR BACKYARD, DUDE! no one there likes us there, so in order to get us out, they're going to help iraq fight back. practically every country there is helping the resistance.

you don't go into a backyard that says "beware of dog" and square off against the goddamn dog just because the dog poses a potential threat if the gate opens. you don't preemptively take out the frigging dog. you just keep your eye on it and stay away from the gate.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
you don't go into a backyard that says "beware of dog" and square off against the goddamn dog just because the dog poses a potential threat if the gate opens. you don't preemptively take out the frigging dog. you just keep your eye on it and stay away from the gate.
That really depends on the type of fence, the type of dog, the look in the it's eyes, the way it's standing, and, of course, the noises it's making...

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
debka also said Iran is purchasing 250 SU-35s from Russia.

That website is complete garbage.