U.S. is denying passports to Americans along the border, throwing their citizenship into question

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
My mom called me today to tell me about this story because she's worried about a vacation my wife, myself, and my son are taking in 2 weeks. Granted we're not traveling to Mexico and my mom exaggerates everything, but we're flying to Grand Cayman. My wife is from central America and came here when she was 13. She is a US citizen and took the test like 13 years ago or so. She has a US passport and everything too. So does our son. But so did some of these people getting turned around at the border. This shit cray cray!
Arm yourselfs.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
My mom called me today to tell me about this story because she's worried about a vacation my wife, myself, and my son are taking in 2 weeks. Granted we're not traveling to Mexico and my mom exaggerates everything, but we're flying to Grand Cayman. My wife is from central America and came here when she was 13. She is a US citizen and took the test like 13 years ago or so. She has a US passport and everything too. So does our son. But so did some of these people getting turned around at the border. This shit cray cray!

You are going to gitmo bad hombre

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I think it's clear that Trump's immigration policy accomplishes one thing- spreading fear all around. Fearful people are more irrational & therefore more easily subject to all sorts of manipulation. It's not intended to be problem solving in any way.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
I feel bad for the people involved in this mess through no fault of their own but WaPo is being misleading and disingenuous by dumping it on the evil Trump and his admin. WaPo provided no numbers, percentages, stats or any actual proof other than some immigration attorneys saying that the process intensified under Trump. This process has been going on for 20+ years under two previous presidents and is more involved than the article leads you to believe. That said, I believe authorities should continue to request proof if possible so they can remove the questionable flag from these peoples records and for those who cannot legitimately provide proof they should treat them like normal US citizens and not deny passports and such. These people have been through enough damage caused by their parents and criminal midwives.

From WaPo in 2008
The federal government won convictions against dozens of South Texas midwives from 1967 through 1997 for fraudulently registering births that they did not deliver, a U.S. official said, with most convictions coming after 1980.

An INS list last updated in October 2002 identifies at least 65 midwives who have been convicted of fraud since the 1960s. U.S. officials previously said cases in the 1990s uncovered forgeries for about 15,000 people born in Mexico. By comparison, about 21,000 Texas births were certified in 2004 by midwives, an integral, though shrinking, part of South Texas culture.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/08/AR2008090802623.html

Citizenship And Midwives: A Government Witch Hunt?
By: Carlos Batara August 31, 2016 – Posted in: Citizenship And Naturalization
A few months ago, two twin brothers in the mid-60s came to my Riverside immigration law office to discuss a letter they had received in the mail a few days before.

They had been scheduled for an appointment at the local U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services office to provide proof that they were really born on American soil.

They had been U.S. citizens since their birth over six decades ago. They had no arrests or convictions. They had faithfully paid their taxes each year and owned homes. They were married with adult children.

They now faced possible deportation.

The problem?

They were born in a Texas border town with the assistance of a midwife.
https://www.bataraimmigrationlaw.com/citizenship-birth-by-midwife

Midwife birth certificates tied to immigration problems along Texas border
By Gustavo Valdes and Catherine E. Shoichet, CNN
Updated 8:32 PM ET, Tue June 5, 2012
Story highlights
Suspicion of midwives has caused immigration problems for many, an attorney says
One woman says she was forced to deny her U.S. citizenship
Another says her passport was taken and returned a year later after a lawsuit
The border patrol says its agents must verify that citizenship documents are valid
The women's lives have taken different paths since the days they were born.
Brenda Vazquez is a 29-year-old elementary school teacher in Matamoros, Mexico. Laura Castro lives across the border in Brownsville, Texas. She is a 32-year-old housewife who helps her husband manage several stores.
They share one thing in common: Both say they were delivered by midwives in south Texas, but pressured by U.S. Border Patrol agents to deny their U.S. citizenship.
Their problems began, according to attorney Jaime Diez, when a group of midwives along the U.S.-Mexico border were found guilty of selling birth certificates to people who were not born in the United States.
"Now all the midwives in the area are suspected of committing fraud," said Diez, who said his office regularly sees cases of people delivered by midwives in Texas. Some of them are struggling to get passports because officials question the validity of their birth certificates, he said. Others have been deported and had their identification documents confiscated at the border, he said.
https://www.cnn.com/2012/06/05/us/texas-immigration-midwives/index.html

Use your google fu.
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1...3j1......0....1.........0j41j0i71.FdZcqOwSL4k

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
That said, I believe authorities should continue to request proof if possible so they can remove the questionable flag from these peoples records and for those who cannot legitimately provide proof they should treat them like normal US citizens and not deny passports and such. These people have been through enough damage caused by their parents and criminal midwives.

If nothing is to be done wrt people who can't provide unobtainium, why ask that they produce it? It's bureaucratic bullshit.

You also cast unreasonable suspicion on their parents, as well.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Sounds like another Stephen Miller idea. If you wonder what kind of people would have joined the German American Bund in the 30s look at this dude.

Pretty much my take on it, this has his stench about it for sure. Trump signs off on it because he's fuming at the world minus Putin, and lashing out without a care for consequences is what this moron does before breakfast.

Telling a poor septuagenarian to cough up their mother's prenatal care records or 'out you go' is beyond fucked up. If there are cases where something inappropriate happened and there is evidence to support it than go nuts, but this Stazi like shit where they get to decide which documents count and who is really American has to stop.

And yeah purbeast0, be careful man. Is it worth it? We have islands in the States too, just sayin.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
If nothing is to be done wrt people who can't provide unobtainium, why ask that they produce it? It's bureaucratic bullshit.

You also cast unreasonable suspicion on their parents, as well.

The parents of the babies born in Mexico and had a US birth certificate issued illegally are complicit. They clearly made the decision to take this illegal action. It’s not just the criminal midwives.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
The parents of the babies born in Mexico and had a US birth certificate issued illegally are complicit. They clearly made the decision to take this illegal action. It’s not just the criminal midwives.

I referenced the parents & the babies birthed in the US by those same midwives. They're innocent of any wrongdoing.

The whole thing is profoundly wrong, something straight out of Kafka. The peace & dignity of genuine American citizens should not be questioned in such a way. It's an unfortunate circumstance where the cheaters need to be allowed to get over to protect the rights of honest people.

Yeh, I know, that's way too easy. Can't have that.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Everyone has their parents rental agreement from when they were kids. What ya talking about? lol. Honestly the documents they are asking for I wouldn't be able to come up with either. And it pretty darn stupid asking someone to provide a rental agreement their parents had years ago.

My parents are both alive and they keep quite good records and there is no way in hell they'd have a rental agreement from when I was a baby. I'd probably be able to get my baptism certificate, not sure about proof of prenatal care.

Reactions: Aegeon

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Another thing, they aren't trying to deport the people, and probably never would be able to do so legally, so WTF is the endgame? Why would issuing them a passport change things?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Another thing, they aren't trying to deport the people, and probably never would be able to do so legally, so WTF is the endgame? Why would issuing them a passport change things?

Why do authoritarian assholes fuck people over? Because they can. Because they like it. Because their minions will execute their orders. The more fuckovers that the minions perform the more willingly they'll do even more of the same. Before you know it, people will believe that illegals are worse than Nazis.

Or maybe that already kinda happened...

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
HuffPo calling out WaPo on its article on this issue. Some at WaPo seem to be giving up their journalistic integrity to go after Trump which fuels the fire of the fake news narrative.

Bombshell Washington Post Story On Trump Passport Crackdown Withheld, Distorted Key Facts
State Department data shows passport denials in suspect midwife cases have dropped under Donald Trump. You wouldn’t know from reading the Post.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr..._5b9ec246e4b046313fbc2bd1?ncid=APPLENEWS00001