U of M Black Student Union wants no race mentioned in crime alerts

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Uh haha hahahahaha thats fuuuuunnny. :rolleyes:

He sure seems to care an awful LOT about men, though, doesn't he? It really starts to put into perspective his disdain for women... He's a rest stop toe tapper for sure. No shit...

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Political correctness, the attempt to pick up a turd by the clean end.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Good, it's about time people stop the political correctness in bowing to conservative white male culture. Hopefully the university accepts the demands of the student groups.

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
One black parent and one white.

Here's a picture of his "black parent."

sodRtDI.png

Mind you, I'm not saying that his father doesn't have the right to identify as black. I'm not even saying he doesn't have that right. I will say that I think doing so is fairly silly on the part of his father, and doing so is EXTREMELY silly on the part of the actor himself. But that's their call.

I just wanted to do a little reality check here. Wanted to make sure you weren't trying to imply that his parents looked like Barack Obama's parents or something. Far cry from that situation here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Relevant: Dave Chapelle skit on sketch artists

As for the story? I don't even need to comment on it really. It's obviously completely ridiculous, and others have pointed that out quite well.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Just wondering where the injustice and hate will stop? We need to do something about the hate mongering groups that use derogatory terms like "black" and "colored". That's racist! We are all one people. There is no need for the white man to continue to discriminate.

Miss Black America
http://www.missblackamerica.com/Index2b.html

National Society of Black Engineers
http://www.nsbe.org/

Blacks in Government
http://www.bignet.org/

Black Wall Street USA
http://www.blackwallstreet.org/

National Association of Black Accountants
http://www.nabainc.org/

National Institute of Black Storytellers
http://www.nabsinc.org/

National Association of Black in Criminal Justice
http://nabcj.org/

Sep 7, 2009
Here's a picture of his "black parent."

sodRtDI.png

Mind you, I'm not saying that his father doesn't have the right to identify as black. I'm not even saying he doesn't have that right. I will say that I think doing so is fairly silly on the part of his father, and doing so is EXTREMELY silly on the part of the actor himself. But that's their call.

I just wanted to do a little reality check here. Wanted to make sure you weren't trying to imply that his parents looked like Barack Obama's parents or something. Far cry from that situation here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Relevant: Dave Chapelle skit on sketch artists

As for the story? I don't even need to comment on it really. It's obviously completely ridiculous, and others have pointed that out quite well.

The modern progressives figured this all out in the zimmerman thread. Here's the formula:

If you're male, your father's father has to be black for you to be considered black. However, if your white mother did not date black men before your father then you cannot proclaim yourself "black".

If you're female, one of your parents must have two black grandparents.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
U of M Black Student Union wants no race mentioned in crime alerts

Good luck with that; when the race isn't stated it's assumed. Just alike when terrorist acts occur, you know who's responsible unless it's specified in the news story that a non-Muslim group did it.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Good luck with that; when the race isn't stated it's assumed. Just alike when terrorist acts occur, you know who's responsible unless it's specified in the news story that a non-Muslim group did it.

you're missing it man....

its right there and you are missing it!

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
The modern progressives figured this all out in the zimmerman thread. Here's the formula:

If you're male, your father's father has to be black for you to be considered black. However, if your white mother did not date black men before your father then you cannot proclaim yourself "black".

If you're female, one of your parents must have two black grandparents.

I see you have not changed your spots for everyone to see.:(

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
And I want a pony...who gives a shat what some asshole who has spent the last half of his life causing racial division "wants"?

Anyone who has even a remote outside knowledge of police work, knows that often times it is pure luck/fishing/etc done off of an initial description.

The real world isn't CSI, where nobody knocks on your door until they have the video camera footage showing you clearly committing the crime, along with DNA, fingerprints, and the pollen of a flower from your shoe than can only be found in the Andes during the exact week of the year that you went backpacking there.

Sep 7, 2009
I see you have not changed your spots for everyone to see.:(

In case you can't tell, I'm poking fun at you race baiters who constantly have to determine lineage before deciding who is guilty.

I think the entire thing is stupid. Any criminal should be described as accurately as possible. But modern progressives get upset because the majority of violent crime is perpetuated by blacks. So, now you want people to not say skin color.

What's next, no gender allowed? No big nose attributes allowed?

Friggin ridiculous. It's not 1940 people.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
pssht, this is all dumb, but not that black is all that descriptive, anyway.

We get about 2 or 3 police reports per week about crimes in and around campus--almost always theft from buildings or mugging.

Here is the description of every single suspect:

black male, late teens early twenties, white t-shirt (or dark hoodie), baggy pants.

It's like, this one dude is causing all of this crime and no one can stop him!
:D

Political correctness, the attempt to pick up a turd by the clean end.
LOL Nice.

Uh . . . wot?

Granted most terrorist acts are by Muslims, but I don't think one can assume that most crimes are committed by black people. For one thing, the Hispanics are doing their share too and there are now more of them. For another, there are a LOT more of us chalkies and we're certainly giving it the old college try as well. If I had to bet money, I'd bet there are no crimes of which blacks commit more than do whites. Except rap videos, but some people don't accept that rap videos even are crimes.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
In case you can't tell, I'm poking fun at you race baiters who constantly have to determine lineage before deciding who is guilty.

I think the entire thing is stupid. Any criminal should be described as accurately as possible. But modern progressives get upset because the majority of violent crime is perpetuated by blacks. So, now you want people to not say skin color.

What's next, no gender allowed? No big nose attributes allowed?

Friggin ridiculous. It's not 1940 people.

For all the time these asshole professors waste trying to pretend that statistics can be racist......how long do they spend trying to address the underlying causes of said disparities?

Zero. "White" people sure as hell can't comment on it (is it really constructive to see Bill O'Reilly act like he has any idea about urban life?) , and respected black people get torn apart by their community if they do (See: Bill Cosby)

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
:D

Granted most terrorist acts are by Muslims, but I don't think one can assume that most crimes are committed by black people. For one thing, the Hispanics are doing their share too and there are now more of them. For another, there are a LOT more of us chalkies and we're certainly giving it the old college try as well. If I had to bet money, I'd bet there are no crimes of which blacks commit more than do whites. Except rap videos, but some people don't accept that rap videos even are crimes.

What in the hell is this drivel?

You know the great thing about crime stats, is that they are stats...and they are public.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
What in the hell is this drivel?

You know the great thing about crime stats, is that they are stats...and they are public.
Have you seen crime stats that say most crimes are committed by black people? Perhaps that's true, but I'd bet it is not.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Have you seen crime stats that say most crimes are committed by black people? Perhaps that's true, but I'd bet it is not.

I think you are intentionally being obtuse as to how statistics work.

Most crimes are committed by those who live in poverty.

A disproportionate amount of certain populations live in poverty.

A disproportionate amount of certain populations commit crime.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006

I don't deny that blacks for whatever reason commit crimes at higher rates than do whites. I'm just skeptical that the discrepancy is so high that blacks commit the majority of crimes, let alone so much so that one can assume if a race is not mentioned the perp must be black.

Feb 6, 2007

You always have to walk a fine line when presenting statistics like that though, because racist people will completely ignore the poverty aspect and just see "black people commit crime at a disproportionate rate to white people," and use it to justify their racism when in reality the color of one's skin is far less of an indicator of potential criminal behavior than socioeconomic status. And speaking of misrepresenting statistics, even though black people are disproportionately represented in committing crimes, the vast majority of crimes are still committed by white people, because white people make up a greater percentage of the population. We generally tend to tread on eggshells when we're discussing anything that might be perceived as a negative racial stereotype because we're terrified of being labeled racist, so it makes these conversations difficult to have; everyone is so busy trying to code their words to minimize offense that they end up skirting the issue.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
You always have to walk a fine line when presenting statistics like that though, because racist people will completely ignore the poverty aspect and just see "black people commit crime at a disproportionate rate to white people," and use it to justify their racism when in reality the color of one's skin is far less of an indicator of potential criminal behavior than socioeconomic status. And speaking of misrepresenting statistics, even though black people are disproportionately represented in committing crimes, the vast majority of crimes are still committed by white people, because white people make up a greater percentage of the population. We generally tend to tread on eggshells when we're discussing anything that might be perceived as a negative racial stereotype because we're terrified of being labeled racist, so it makes these conversations difficult to have; everyone is so busy trying to code their words to minimize offense that they end up skirting the issue.

In regards to your link: What happened to Hispanics? :confused: