U of M Black Student Union wants no race mentioned in crime alerts

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2014/01/29/u-students-want-crime-alerts-to-avoid-using-racial-descriptions/

Due to an increase in crime around the University of Minnesota campus there have been crime alerts with descriptions of the perpetrators.

School officials at the University of Minnesota are working with black student and facility organizations after they wrote a letter to the school’s president about the racial descriptions given in crime alerts.

The letter, sent on Dec. 6, 2013, was issued by members of the African American and African Studies, Black Faculty and Staff Association, Black Graduate and Professional Student Association, Black Men’s Forum, Black Student Union and Huntley House for African American Males.

Students and staff mailed the letter more than a month after the campus went on lockdown because of an attempted robbery at Anderson Hall on Nov. 11, 2013. University of Minnesota Police wrongfully identified a student as the suspect.

On Tuesday, school officials reported there have been 25 robberies in and around the University, an increase of 27 percent over the last few years.

Does anyone else see the irony here?

Also I do understand the point these organizations are making but when it comes to security we should have the best description we can and it can be a slam to the victim if you leave out details in that description.

I wish could post this in the off topic section but i am sure the replies will degenerate quickly.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
There is no limit to the sheer idiocy of the progressive movement. Given the chance to accomplish it, the description for people that commit crimes will be solely "person". Stating the sex, approximate age, skin color, hair color, height, weight and clothing worn will all be forbidden.

'Police are looking for a person that robbed the convenience store on the corner of Fifth and Main yesterday. The alleged perpetrator was described as "human" by witnesses. Please contact the Progville police with any information.'

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Perfect!

So lets take race out of college scholarships. And employment. And Congress. Lets really go for equality.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
The article was incomplete because it didn't include the 12 recommendations in the letter to the University.

Remember the Sikhs that were murdered by someone hating Muslims?

I have no problem with a description of age, sex, skin color, height but just saying black may not be the best way to go.

People here are reading the headline and using it as an excuse to go on a rant.

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
It's not irony - it's a double standard.

They want the world to know they are Black, African American - but, they don't want the world to know that Black and African Americans commit crimes.

I mean, why reach out to communities and stop crime from even happening?! Just censor the crime alerts!

Next up, APBs will be devoid of race. And, eventually, gender. In fact, lets not call out any crimes whatsoever! Think about the criminal for once people,.. what about their rights?!

Apr 27, 2012
Political correctness strikes again. This is just idiotic and why political correctness is a horrible idea. So how exactly are they suppose to warn people when there is no race mentioned? If a white guy is wanted do they mention he is white?

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
The article was incomplete because it didn't include the 12 recommendations in the letter to the University.

I have no problem with a description of age, sex, skin color, height but just saying black may not be the best way to go.

Can you please link to the 12 recommendations? i cannot find it easily with google.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012

Skin color, along with gender, are pretty much the most obvious traits and why they will be highlighted. With most crimes however male can almost be assumed.

Things like height and age are much harder to accurately determine from just looking at someone.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Which, if you're trying to make a point would have been something you could have included.
No

So, maybe there could be a color chart with an arrow pointing to the color or possible colors of the individuals skin? Maybe instead of just those height markers at exits, there could be color charts too.
404 rant not found

Nov 8, 2012
SOMEONE CALL THE FUCKING WAMBULANCE!!!!!! Yet another group of "minorities" that hate to hear these NASTY things called "facts"

I can see it on the news now, "We had a robbery on the corner Herp and Derp Street, the woman described the man as 'Bald, his pants halfway down, and uhhh... semi-darkish in his skin tone'.

Toolbags. People this stupid should be forcefully neutered.

Perfect!

So lets take race out of college scholarships. And employment. And Congress. Lets really go for equality.

bwahahaha :D this.

Last edited:

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Perfect!

I'm fine with that.

But out of crime "alerts", reports? Skin color is a descriptor, like hair / eye color... height and weight. Let's not give height... those poor short people being picked on. Weight? Fatties are treated cruelly.

The Student Union's request is not logical, I must oppose it.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
So, maybe there could be a color chart with an arrow pointing to the color or possible colors of the individuals skin? Maybe instead of just those height markers at exits, there could be color charts too.

I suggest we hire Tom Ridge to come up with this scale of skin colors.

2009-08-22-Ridge.jpg

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
I suggest we hire Tom Ridge to come up with this scale of skin colors.

2009-08-22-Ridge.jpg

You could be on to something we could assign a different color coding for each race.

Blacks could be red
Latinos could be orange
whites could be blue
and asians could be green

:cool:

gdansk

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2011
I understand where they are coming from (criminals incorrectly remembered as black or Hispanic) but I don't see how ignoring the race of a criminal will help reduce crime.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Which, if you're trying to make a point would have been something you could have included.
No

404 rant not found

Its not my article. If the author wanted a complete story he would have included instead of a one sided rant.

Sikhs killed because some gun toting nut hated Mooooslims. In case you didn't figure it out they are not the same people.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/simran-jeet-singh/dalbir-singh-murdered_b_1794063.html

BTW - Let just use black in the description so light skinned blacks can be ignored and dark skinned Hispanics can be rounded up. Makes lots of sense.

Mr. Pedantic

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2010
If you don't want people to say a black man killed this man, or a black man robbed that woman, maybe you should go around helping to eliminate the root causes of crime among African Americans, rather than bitching about it.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Lets say this guy was a crime suspect. Some of you morons would be anxious to put black man in the description instead of a more accurate visual description.

wentworth-miller-600x623.jpg

Keeper

Mar 9, 2005
If you don't want people to say a black man killed this man, or a black man robbed that woman, maybe you should go around helping to eliminate the root causes of crime among African Americans, rather than bitching about it.

I dont care WHAT group it is... Why is it my responsibility to make amends for their situation?
I grew up with no privelage, no entitlement. Hell, my parents almost lost the house 3 times for several reasons.
I NEVER had the thought to go rob the local deli, gas station, house or whatever.
NEVER thought to rape or hurt random people as they walk by.
And guess what, NEVER DID.
FUCK that idea.

Funny this topic is here. The local news station reported a crime....
TINY TINY station. In fact, before cable it was ONLY on the UHF dial LOL.
And the blurb was something like commited by a man, 6' in his thirties.
I turned to my wife and said White? Black? Hispanic? Asian?
My son who works for them behind the scenes said "Nope, Nots allowed to say that anymore".

A man 6' in his thirties... You know... Thinking about it, saying he was a man, really could be discriminatory. What if he is a confused soul and wants to change gender. HOW DARE WE TAG HIM WITH THE MALE TAG.
Really.... We are fucked.