Typical

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 20, 2009
Randall just needs to shut the fuck up. Every time SBC (ahem, AT&T) buys another company that is making money they run it off the rails into failure and then he complains about the bad company employees and lays them off by the thousands. His only solution to getting stock prices up is to fire people. The entire BoD should be retired.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
I dunno, I think you can still be a cord cutter while having a subscription to Netflix. Even if you have a few different subscriptions you are still probably saving a ton of money considering how damn expensive cable TV has gotten along with the absurd rental fees.

Netflix is these days more comparable to HBO than say cable.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
You guys honestly didn't think this would last forever, right?

Perfect example is Amazon - they are finally turning a profit... and wouldn't you know it, they have consistently jacked up the cost of prime every 2 years after not touching it for multiple years. Used to order plenty, now I order rarely because in general, they just aren't that low anymore.

Amazon has raised the cost of Prime twice, in its existence.

They started in 2005 for 79/yr
They raised it for the first time in 2014 to 99/yr
They raised it for the second time in 2018 to 119/yr

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2009
Kind of hard to compare Amazon Prime to the others when the video stream is a free add-on to the delivery service.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
I dunno, I think you can still be a cord cutter while having a subscription to Netflix. Even if you have a few different subscriptions you are still probably saving a ton of money considering how damn expensive cable TV has gotten along with the absurd rental fees.

We have both Hulu and Netflix for $23 a month. The basic local channels are included for free with our internet so OTA doesn't really help us save costs there. But the next step up cable package wise is $25/month + $10 HDTV fee + $5-15 rental fee for a box depending on whether you want a DVR or not. Plus there are soooo many more commercials. Anytime I watch a regular show its painful how many commercials there are. For us, the content included in that cable package isn't as good as the Hulu and Netflix content but that won't be the same for everyone obviously

During the football season I pay an extra $28/month to Hulu so I can get all the sports channels including BTN. I'd need to pay an additional $60 (after fees) if I wanted that through my cable provider

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Netflix is these days more comparable to HBO than say cable.

Not from what I've seen. Netflix seems to be prioritizing quantity over quality, and the amount of sub par content I have to sift through to find the good stuff is definitely more on par with standard cable than HBO.

Reactions: Thebobo

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
We have both Hulu and Netflix for $23 a month. The basic local channels are included for free with our internet so OTA doesn't really help us save costs there. But the next step up cable package wise is $25/month + $10 HDTV fee + $5-15 rental fee for a box depending on whether you want a DVR or not. Plus there are soooo many more commercials. Anytime I watch a regular show its painful how many commercials there are. For us, the content included in that cable package isn't as good as the Hulu and Netflix content but that won't be the same for everyone obviously

During the football season I pay an extra $28/month to Hulu so I can get all the sports channels including BTN. I'd need to pay an additional $60 (after fees) if I wanted that through my cable provider

Speaking of commercials, I haven't listened to the radio in years. A few weeks ago I accidentally switched my alarm from my cheapo MP3 player that stays plugged into it to radio. I always leave the music playing while I get ready and I didn't feel like messing with it right then. Holy crap has radio gotten horrible with commercials and the commercials are SO bad. I think half of them are just some guy/girl at the company using their headset mic or something. I know a few people that still listen to the syndicated morning shows but other than that I don't know how they are still in business.

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
Not from what I've seen. Netflix seems to be prioritizing quantity over quality, and the amount of sub par content I have to sift through to find the good stuff is definitely more on par with standard cable than HBO.

It really doesn't matter which streaming service you have eventually you run out of shows that you really want to watch. All that is left is the lame shows.