Two psychiatrists discussing how to discuss Trump's mental health

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I do too. Here is the weight I think he carries. Psychiatry is a weapon in the Russia where they deal with dissenting people by institutionalizing them as crazy. The psychiatric profession deserves better than that and strict lines in the West are drawn to prevent that kind of abuse. Anybody who believes that psychiatry can help the human condition does not want it to go down a dark path.

I think that explains the apolitical nature of this doctor, engaged as he is, especially, with defining mental illness.

Personally, I have always seen Trump as psychopathically cunning, not mentally ill in the normal sense, but rather as a person who is not empathically human, a monster of sorts who treats people who get in his way with distain and contempt. Basically, not exactlay crazy, but a piece of shit.

Now I believe that people like that should be destroyed mercilessly and without compromise because they are actually evil, and so I see it fair game to treat him as he does others. If calling him insane, regardless of the danger to the psychiatric profession can bring him down, I would choose the elephant gun over the pea shooter and pronounce him clinically insane. He is a danger to humanity and anything that gets him out of office is prudent. I have no desire to have him comitted as insane. We just need a tidal wave to sweep him away. The damage he has done to the country is unbelievable. Anybody who is rational can see it. Only in this country is there a cult of worshipers who are blind to how evil he is.

Psychiatry can defend itself elsewhere. The good of the country comes first, and 37 psychiatrist have agreed that figure in the news on this issue.

Cult? They don't even catch on when he plays Sympathy for the Devil before a rally. Totally clueless & totally mesmerized.

Nov 25, 2013
1) Grandiose sense of self importance. I don't think he does, at least not more than a billionaire president would at any rate.

2) Fantasies of unlimited power, success. I don't believe this one applies. Or at least anyone that thinks it does is projecting.

3) Believes that he's special, should only associate with high status people. This isn't him at all, he courted miners and farmers, the common person, not coastal elitists. If anything, this one applies to liberals at a broad level.

4) Require excessive admiration. Another I don't think applies at all. He put himself up to run as president and against a very crowded GOP field. Better have thick skin and be able to take criticism to do that.

5) Has a sense of entitlement. Maybe somewhat, but not sure if that's uncommon in general with those born into money. But, he still puts int he hard work, the kind of hard work people like Hillary would never stoop to.

6) Interpersonally exploitative. I don't see how this one would apply at all.

7) Lacks empathy. I think he feels the pain of America and wants to help as he knows how.

8) Envious of others or believes others are envious of him. Not sure how we could know this one.

9) Maybe, but again only to the degree that might be normal for a billionaire in control of the free world that won an election vs. the predetermined Madam President, and did so while taking on the GOP, the Democrats, the media, and Hollywood all at once.

lordy

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
It would be valid, if there was any indication that Trump was that insane.
Your hate isn't a diagnosis, it's simply that you hate Trump and choose to view him through that filter. I don't have any issue with that, but you should be honest with yourself about it.
It's also worth noting that he's on the down hill slope, he'll be gone in a year and a half and soon forgotten.
Well, here is what I see. Conservatives are highly sensitive to situations that can provoke fear and one of the things they fear is having their piece of mind threatened with information that does not conform to their cushy would bubble view. And the reason for this is that the conservative lives in a straight jacket of prohibitions and taboos that are there to suppress any slight deviance from childhood programming. They were inculcated with rate and any counter-rage would have been crushed the moment it appeared. So a conservative is somebody who has been safely confined in a straight jacket, and is in constant terror that somebody will pull it off, leading to Berserker rage and possible institutionalization.

So when you say that I am full of rage, it is actually just a projection. You fear rage because you fear your own rage being triggered.

Rage is a feeling that is there to protect us from feeling something deeper, the pain of deep grief. Feel that and you will heal.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Textbook narcissism for the President of the US is pretty dangerous, I'd say. Think about it: that means the leader of the country is self-absorbed, exploitative, wildly exaggerative of his abilities and unable to empathize with others. You shouldn't have a political leader who treats his office solely as a tool for advancing himself.
I would think narcissism is a prerequisite for being president.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Well, here is what I see. Conservatives are highly sensitive to situations that can provoke fear and one of the things they fear is having their piece of mind threatened with information that does not conform to their cushy would bubble view. And the reason for this is that the conservative lives in a straight jacket of prohibitions and taboos that are there to suppress any slight deviance from childhood programming. They were inculcated with rate and any counter-rage would have been crushed the moment it appeared. So a conservative is somebody who has been safely confined in a straight jacket, and is in constant terror that somebody will pull it off, leading to Berserker rage and possible institutionalization.

So when you say that I am full of rage, it is actually just a projection. You fear rage because you fear your own rage being triggered.

Rage is a feeling that is there to protect us from feeling something deeper, the pain of deep grief. Feel that and you will heal.
That's a serious anger issue you have going on there. I have no idea what's happening in your life to trigger it, but I honestly hope you're able to work it out.
Good luck.

DisarmedDespot

Jun 2, 2016
I'm just gonna leave this article from Charles Krauthammer here, to counter any claim by righties that only 'leftists' think he's nuts:

This is beyond narcissism. I used to think Trump was an 11-year-old, an undeveloped schoolyard bully. I was off by about 10 years. His needs are more primitive, an infantile hunger for approval and praise, a craving that can never be satisfied. He lives in a cocoon of solipsism where the world outside himself has value — indeed exists — only insofar as it sustains and inflates him.

Most politicians seek approval. But Trump lives for the adoration. He doesn’t even try to hide it, boasting incessantly about his crowds, his standing ovations, his TV ratings, his poll numbers, his primary victories. The latter are most prized because they offer empirical evidence of how loved and admired he is.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I would think narcissism is a prerequisite for being president.
Given that what people believe is conditional upon the time, place, and cultural in which we are born, wouldn't it be safe to say that anybody with an opinion about anything who has not consciously dredged up and examined everything he or she was taught to believe and rejected all of it is a narcissist? Wasn't Socrates the one who was big on self examination and discovered he was the wisest man in the world because he knew just one thing, that he didn't know anything at all?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
That's a serious anger issue you have going on there. I have no idea what's happening in your life to trigger it, but I honestly hope you're able to work it out.
Good luck.
Hehe. Yes, but unlike you I know it, the result being that I can't take myself very seriously. To feel what you feel is to relive the past. Knowing sets you free.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Given that what people believe is conditional upon the time, place, and cultural in which we are born, wouldn't it be safe to say that anybody with an opinion about anything who has not consciously dredged up and examined everything he or she was taught to believe and rejected all of it is a narcissist? Wasn't Socrates the one who was big on self examination and discovered he was the wisest man in the world because he knew just one thing, that he didn't know anything at all?
Not at all. You can know what a thing is without knowing why a thing is. You can see a thing without it relating to yourself. You can have knowledge (information) that's ambivalent. I don't need to evaluate my entire being to accept that 2+2=4.
Of course this changes when you're talking about opinion. Opinion is limited information combined with emotion.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Not at all. You can know what a thing is without knowing why a thing is. You can see a thing without it relating to yourself. You can have knowledge (information) that's ambivalent. I don't need to evaluate my entire being to accept that 2+2=4.
Of course this changes when you're talking about opinion. Opinion is limited information combined with emotion.
Yes and people have no idea what their emotions are and hence have no idea what motivates their opinions. I am simply saying that I may be more aware of this than you are having experienced first hand feelings I would have never otherwise believed I felt. There is no way to convince you of this and I don't need to. I know and that's all there is to it. If you have never experienced the shock of allowing feelings that are deeply repressed to surface, you can't really know how such an experience transforms your understanding. I would say trust me but I also know the risk the experience would cause you to feel. To trust is pretty much to heal.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
HAHA Yeah.... Fox News is freaking out about THIS tonight.
"How dare CNN allow professionals to evaluate any American president OVER THE AIR and IN PUBLIC."
"If any of us here at Fox did this, we'd be FIRED."
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Yeah, right, Fox news.....
Seriously?
If any of us here at Fox News did this?
You have, and you weren't. Seriously.

So lets ask this, and ask with keeping in mind the latest from Donald Trump i.e. Melania has met Kim Jong-Un (when she has never) and China called Trump (where they did not), so.... what if tomorrow Donald Trump claimed that the Amazon Rainforest was on fire due to laser blast from alien space craft?
Or, if Trump publicly claimed that the "space aliens" could come to our defense and repair the environment within 24 hours if so summoned, and that is why we need not worry about the air quality or about clean water or about specie extinction. The space aliens will save us.

If Donald Trump, in public mind you, claimed he had some "connections" with space aliens and with other worlds far outside of our own solar system, would that be an debatable consideration? Something that we should take seriously until it were proven untrue?
I want to know..... I really do want to know.....
Just how far and how outrageous can Donald Trump get, or what outrageous thing could Donald Trump say where we would consider Trump as insane? Yes, even Fox News and congressional republicans?
Is there no limit? Because, I really want to know.
So far, Trump has said a lot of nonsense that goes far beyond simple lying, FAR BEYOND.
And with every instance we just seem to ignore what Trump said.
To ignore what he said other than a monetary knee-jerk reaction of shock and disbelief. Monetary....

And... if the media actually asked anyone at the Whitehouse about Trump and space aliens, they would defend Donald Trump.
Kellyanne Conway: WELL, CAN YOU PROVE THERE ARE NO SPACE ALIENS? CAN YOU RPOVE PRESIDENT TRUMP DOES NOT HAVE A CONNECTION WITH SPACE ALIENS IF THEY DO EXISIT? I'M NOT SAYING I PERSONALLY BELIEVE IN SPACE ALIENS, BUT I'M NOT SAYING I DO NOT BELIEVE EITHER BECAUSE DOES ANYONE REALLY KNOW?

Heck.... kids lie every day, but do they make stuff up where even old mom and dad might say, HONEY, WE REALLY NEED TO GET THIS KID CHECKED OUT.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
As long as Trump can wind himself up and get out there, McConnell and the GOP will continue to do so. He spits out a few key phrases, his ardent supporters fill in the blanks and ignore the glitches and fuck ups, and all appears well. In fact, it's evident that his supporters trust him more because he's NOT coherent: to them it reads as unscripted and sincere. To them, you can't trust politicians who are smooth, eloquent, and educated. To admit he's neurologically compromised would derail the Trump Train and lead to GOP defeat in 2020, they can't have that, no matter what the cost to the country.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Hey still looking for an answer to this. If Trump does not display the features of Narcissistic Personality Disorder can anyone here cite any figure either current or throughout any time in modern history who would qualify?

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
LOL. Delicious FUD.

If you can find a recent video of him stringing together even one logical, coherent sentence (preferably two or three) without reading off a teleprompter like a robot I will reconsider my stance.

He probably wouldn't remember his name if people weren't shouting it at him all day and it wasn't stamped all over his baggy Chinese-made suits.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Really, are medical ethics above the ethics that would warn humanity they have elected a psychopath that could cause an extinction event if it meant he could preserve his narcissistic self image? I would consider such an ethical prioritization of the kind you suggest to be insane. I would also add, fuck off.
Sociopath. He's a sociopath.

I can think of a particular case when the CIA mistakenly hired a malignant narcissist in 1950, when the Stalin scare propelled recruitment with a dearth of psychological screeners.

The CIA would never hire someone like Trump. Further, as I understand it, in modern, stable corporations, his promotion would be discouraged. They wouldn't put him in charge of other people.

There are so many dimensions to the mistake of putting Trump in the White House, the discussion could be lengthy. Because of his narcissism and upbringing, he vastly -- VASTLY! -- overrates himself. He doesn't read. He has no command or understanding of simple business statistics. He has no understanding of science. It is as though his education has a mythical dimension, and he was merely "schooled" -- not educated.

He is definitely a sociopathic personality. For that, he's dangerous -- dangerous to the public, dangerous to national security, dangerous to the world. His presence in the White House almost seems to be an apocalyptic event and circumstance, like those occult movies "Damien" and "Omen".