Two explosions reported at Boston Marathon finish line! **Suspect #2 in Custody!!**

Page 90 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
One of the kids internet sleuths fingered as a terrorist due to suspicious levels of melanin in his skin was found dead.

http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/201...il-tripathi/Xmj50CyM73PPrjHDirdm0M/story.html

Can't imagine what it would be like for a parent to-

1) Have their son go missing
2) Have their son accused of terrorism by a bunch of halfwits with internet access
3) Find out their son was found dead in a river

He was positively ID'd this morning

http://www.delcotimes.com/articles/2013/04/25/news/doc5178a08c8497a222028079.txt

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
Seems like he offed himself though. Said he struggled w depression...Poor kid. Worse for the family who had to/has to endure that.

Axon

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2003
One of the kids internet sleuths fingered as a terrorist due to suspicious levels of melanin in his skin was found dead.

http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/201...il-tripathi/Xmj50CyM73PPrjHDirdm0M/story.html

2) Have their son accused of terrorism by a bunch of halfwits with internet access

Not only was reddit's behavior dangerous, the mainstream media was just as bad. Many outlets were more than happy to report on these "findings," with the caveat that they were just reporting on what was being said on reddit, of course.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
I'm not sure the fingering was the causation in this instance. Missing for several weeks already... just needed someone to push the button, sadly.

Axon

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2003
I'm not sure the fingering was the causation in this instance. Missing for several weeks already... just needed someone to push the button, sadly.

I agree, but it doesn't matter. If this kid wasn't having issues already, he would have been after the job that was done on him. Frankly, if that was me, I would have been afraid for my life.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Not only was reddit's behavior dangerous, the mainstream media was just as bad. Many outlets were more than happy to report on these "findings," with the caveat that they were just reporting on what was being said on reddit, of course.

Plenty of douchebags here jumped on the bandwagon too saying they heard it on the police radio and then posting comparison pics.

RIP.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001

To be fair, it was also due to the circumstances of his disappearance, but I still despise those who were jumping to conclusions and fingering him.

Train

Lifer
Jun 22, 2000
www.bing.com
To be fair, it was also due to the circumstances of his disappearance, but I still despise those who were jumping to conclusions and fingering him.

I don't think there is anything wrong with being made a suspect. It's not like every person who "fingered" him was in favor skipping due process & a fair trial, and wanted to execute him on sight.

SphinxnihpS

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2005
The bombers' parents are still in denial. They are still claiming it's a US conspiracy. Wonder if they will arrest the wife on her outstanding warrants when/if they return to the US.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/26/w...-boston-bombing-suspects-are-innocent.html?hp

If you were the parent of anyone like this, you would be in denial too. Denial is the first and unavoidable stage of dealing with grief. Some people in here act like their statements are disgusting. They're normal. They're expected. Can't you get outside yourself enough to look at the world through someone elses eyes? These people just lost everything.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
If you were the parent of anyone like this, you would be in denial too. Denial is the first and unavoidable stage of dealing with grief. Some people in here act like their statements are disgusting. They're normal. They're expected. Can't you get outside yourself enough to look at the world through someone elses eyes? These people just lost everything.

this.

I also mentioned in an earlier post, and linked to a very famous story of how these people come from an area where government-sanctioned murder and fabricated events are commonplace. Paranoia and mistrust is an expected reality.

hell, they could also just as easily be from Kentuckistan or Montana or wherethefucker breeds people that still think SandyHook was a gubmint cunspiracy!

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
In over 2200 hundred posts I saw not one mention of donating to any relief or charity organizations.

I am ashamed of you people.

Shorty will be making a motion at his VFW group to send supplies to relief crews and toys n junk to the people in the hospital. Maybe flowers to the deceased.

MontyAC

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2004

I'm not making any judgement on the parents, just pointing out to the article from the NY Times. Granted most parents would be in denial initially.

preCRT

Platinum Member
Apr 12, 2000
Breaking news... 3 more suspects have been taken into custody in connection with the bombings

disappoint

Lifer
Dec 7, 2009

I read that the mother discussed jihad with one of the bombing suspects over the phone. You still think she is "normal"? She wasn't exactly discouraging him either.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slat..._suspect_discussed_jihad_with_his_mother.html

Another mystery revealed. We finally know what led Russian authorities to warn the U.S. government about Tamerlan Tsarnaev, the elder brother suspected of carrying out the Boston Marathon bombing. Russia secretly recorded two phone calls involving the suspect’s mother. In one of them, Tsarnaev “briefly discussed jihad with his mother,” reports the Associated Press, which was the first to break the story. In the other, Zubeidat Tsarnaeva, Tamerlan’s mother, was recorded talking to someone in southern Russia who was already under investigation by the FBI in an unrelated case.

Intelligence officials have also come across text messages in which the mother discussed how Tamerlan is ready to die for Islam, according to two Newsday sources.

The FBI has only learned about these phone calls, which never discussed specific plans nor attacks within the United States, after the bombings. In 2011, all Russian authorities said was they were concerned the mother-son duo had become religious extremists. The FBI requested more information after interviewing Tamerlan but received no further cooperation from Russian officials, who later went to the CIA with the same information. The mother and son were placed in late 2011 on the Terror Identities Datamart Environment database, a low-level watch list that contains some half-a-million names.

Now the question is whether the FBI or the CIA would have taken the warnings more seriously had they known about the recorded phone calls. “Would we have gone farther?” a law enforcement official tells the New York Times. “Maybe, maybe not.”

Last edited: