[Tweaktown] Jim Keller leaving Tesla to join Intel

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
So I guess in 3-4 years Intel will finally have a competitive architecture to Ryzen?

Who is going to fix 10nm for them?

Unnamed source says earnings report is tomorrow. Hmm....

asendra

Nov 4, 2012
One thing is for sure, he is not going there just to do a GenericLake core iteration.

ksec

Mar 5, 2010
Um.... Why do I smell Apple in that as well?

Both Jim and Raja are ex-Apple.

lixlax

Nov 6, 2014
So did Intel really hit a brick brick wall with it archidectures and is now looking for new ideas/people? Given what Keller has previously achived at AMD with much more limited resources must have them more than concerned now.

Intel haven't had architectural improvmets since 2015 (skylake) and a new manufacturing process since 2014 (4 years) and still counting.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
So did Intel really hit a brick brick wall with it archidectures and is now looking for new ideas/people? Given what Keller has previously achived at AMD with much more limited resources must have them more than concerned now.

Intel haven't had architectural improvmets since 2015 (skylake) and a new manufacturing process since 2014 (4 years) and still counting.
You mean they haven't released such, they certainly have both well under way at this point.

positivedoppler

Golden Member
Apr 30, 2012
Interesting news. I can see this turning out one of two ways. Jim helping Intel elevate their design current and future to new heights. This can also result in an alpha nerd clash.

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
Is this legal, since he was working for a direct competitor?
Depends upon the language, if any, as to non compete that was in his contract with AMD and perhaps Tesla. I just saw an article that said he left AMD in 2015 to join Tesla.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Depends upon the language, if any, as to non compete that was in his contract with AMD and perhaps Tesla. I just saw an article that said he left AMD in 2015 to join Tesla.

Yes, but the tricky part is the knowledge and trade secrets involved in his work at the previous companies. While there is still a burden of proof involved, one could make the claim that knowledge/secrets from Company A were used to create the new/derivative work at Company B. A rather blatant case of this being Uber's legal scuffle with Waymo, in which they ended up settling with Waymo to the tune of $244 million over allegedly stolen code (Uber got off lightly, IMO).

ksec

Mar 5, 2010

I remember there was a mathematical prove to the limit of IPC, the amount of instruction we could squeeze per clock. And that theoretical performance limit assumes our compiler can perfectly match all sequence.

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
Yes, but the tricky part is the knowledge and trade secrets involved in his work at the previous companies. While there is still a burden of proof involved, one could make the claim that knowledge/secrets from Company A were used to create the new/derivative work at Company B. A rather blatant case of this being Uber's legal scuffle with Waymo, in which they ended up settling with Waymo to the tune of $244 million over allegedly stolen code (Uber got off lightly, IMO).

IEC, I agree. I think it will be telling as to what comment, if any, comes from AMD about this. Raja Kurduri went directly from AMD to Intel and that appears to have been a smooth transition.

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017
IEC, I agree. I think it will be telling as to what comment, if any, comes from AMD about this. Raja Kurduri went directly from AMD to Intel and that appears to have been a smooth transition.

Non-competes are not enforceable in California, so there is really nothing AMD can say publicly that would be beneficial to them. They can't even complain Intel Poached him, because he had already left, and was working at Tesla.

What a career Jim Keller is having. I wonder if this latest move was driven more by unhappiness with Tesla, or the chance to do something big at Intel.

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
Non-competes are not enforceable in California, so there is really nothing AMD can say publicly that would be beneficial to them. They can't even complain Intel Poached him, because he had already left, and was working at Tesla.

What a career Jim Keller is having. I wonder if this latest move was driven more by unhappiness with Tesla, or the chance to do something big at Intel.
He likes to wander from place to place, seeking a new project that interests him. Once he is past the interesting part, he then seeks out something new. A great thing to do if you have the chops for it, and since it has worked for him for a long time now he seems to.

Reactions: raghu78

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017
He likes to wander from place to place, seeking a new project that interests him. Once he is past the interesting part, he then seeks out something new. A great thing to do if you have the chops for it, and since it has worked for him for a long time now he seems to.

I realize that, but Elon Musk also has a reputation as being a boss that rubs some people the wrong way. So I am left wondering was he finished the important work at Tesla, or did he get fed up with working for Musk, and leave early.

Reactions: beginner99

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Will he end up working on this?

I thought the next big thing was Tiger lake or just beyond it, with a new lean architecture and all that. Is Ocean Cove that big new thing? Looks like they are making a new Sandy Bridge here. Maybe even better? Maybe also with high end GPU's to go along with the new CPUs? Nah, we all know the GPU's will be crap. Bring on the new Sandy though.

firewolfsm

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2005
It could be that Tiger Lake and/or Sapphire Rapids aren't going well, and so Intel hired Keller for another fresh start.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Remember he used to work on Apple SoCs, and apparently Intel wants to move into "custom SoCs"... Intel modem integrated into Apple SoC?

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
Remember he used to work on Apple SoCs, and apparently Intel wants to move into "custom SoCs"... Intel modem integrated into Apple SoC?
I can't really see that. I can't see Intel fabbing Apple parts. Or Apple wanting Intel as a fab. Not can I see Intel willing to let any of their IP be fabbed elsewhere.