tweakboy just pulled the trigger on 3 parts. CPU/RAM/Mobo

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
Guys I decided on this platform for 2 reasons.

64GB RAM and Quad Channel memory also that I can put a Ivy E on it when it comes out the Intel guy here told me. I saw benchmarks with 3820 and 3930k the 3820 is barely behind the 3930k ,,,,, always second place couple seconds or couple frames behind the 3930k ,, and I have a plan,, to buy this CPU, then upgrade to IVY E,, if I bought a ivy bridge processor I would be limited to 32GB ram dual channel memory and cant upgrade to Ivy E , need new motherboard........ This is a motherboard for future,,,,,,, I will add another 32GB for 64GB , and replace the CPU with a Ivy E when it comes out.... while Ivy owners have to buy a motherboard to get Ivy E to work at that time....... now Im flying high and in a year or two Ill grab Ivy bridge E chip.. I love my decisions I made,,,,,, great purchase, and the 3820 is right behind 3930k chip in performance,, like you cant even tell a difference. :) It would come in handy tho for audio renders..........anyhow Im happy.....32GB isnt enough for what I wanna do so forget Ivy procesors,, Ill wait for Ivy E chip and sell my CPU.. simple...

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Congratulations on your purchases, Tweakboy, I'm sure you'll be happy with them. That's quite the rig.

I built a Q6600 rig myself, and overclocked it to 3.6 on air, just because. (Wanted to be a member of the 3.6Ghz club in my sig.) I never really used it for anything, except one December for the F@H race a year or two back. I finally sold it to a friend that needed a computer (he was upgrading from some single-core rig). Although somewhat obsolete, the Q6600 was and is still a pretty mighty processor for some things. Although it seems you outgrew yours. Mine was on an X48 board, man, those were pricey. ($260) Kind of like Socket 2011 boards today. Although, with 2011, you get so much more.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
Happy for your purchase Tweakboy,its been quite a while and hope you enjoy your upgrade.:)

Me myself think i will be switching over to a 3930k and a extreme6 in a few weeks,got the cash and want a subsystem that will last me at least 4-5 years.:thumbsup: Plus i have been drooling over the 6 core chips for 2 years but was not crazy enough to justify their $1,000 price tag but at $570,the 3930k is borderline sane.:awe:

Shocked overall that you did not pick the 3930k tweakboy,i honestly think it could have been justifiable as the q6600 was the first intel quad core that was somewhat affordable and look how long it lasted you,the 3930k being the first somewhat affordable 6 core would easily last as long.:thumbsup:

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
Happy for your purchase Tweakboy,its been quite a while and hope you enjoy your upgrade.:)

Me myself think i will be switching over to a 3930k and a extreme6 in a few weeks,got the cash and want a subsystem that will last me at least 4-5 years.:thumbsup: Plus i have been drooling over the 6 core chips for 2 years but was not crazy enough to justify their $1,000 price tag but at $570,the 3930k is borderline sane.:awe:

Shocked overall that you did not pick the 3930k tweakboy,i honestly think it could have been justifiable as the q6600 was the first intel quad core that was somewhat affordable and look how long it lasted you,the 3930k being the first somewhat affordable 6 core would easily last as long.:thumbsup:

I tell you why. Because If I got a ivy bridge e 1156 mobo wont fit. My mobo has a future. Im going to add 64GB quad channel also I can change the cpu in a year or two year or three, right when it cant handle my stuff, and get a Ivy E 6 core 12 thread chip. I save 340 dollars now for perfromance you cant tell a different I read reviews, keep that 340 and add a bit to it and buy a 6 core Ivy E chip 12 threads.......... If I bought 3930k I couldnt upgrade for many years to come,,,,,,,,for now Im gonna see how 8 threads works,,,,,,,, I can always buy a Ive E chip anytime I want and my mobo supports it...

VitaX

Dec 17, 2012
Hell of a setup you have there. These days is more than 16GB of RAM needed? Just curious as I've been debating between 8GB and 16GB for my new build.