turn-based strategy games?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
I wished there were more turn based RPG games for PC like FF Tactics. I don't have much of an attention span to stay focused on more complex games such as the Civ series.

If you like Turn Based RPG games, have you played Temple of Elemental Evil? Once the game is patched with the Co8 patch, it is a phenomenal game (IMHO).

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
Heroes of Might and Magic III w/all expansions + Wake of Gods mod + Friends for hot-seat play
Heroes of Might and Magic VI

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
looks like a Civ-V mod...looking for reviews too. i loved Fantasy Wars by the same developer/publisher.

Gibsons

Lifer
Aug 14, 2001
Did some reading on the Warlock Steam forums. People seem to like it overall, but there are two complaints that stick out to me -

1. you can win building a very limited variety of units, maybe just two different kinds.

2. The AI is horrible. It only builds tier 1 units. It will try failed tactics repeatedly (like it will cast the same spell over and over against targets that are innately immune to it).

Fixing 2 might naturally fix 1, I'm not sure. Will hold off for now. Looks like they are releasing patches.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I have seen the AI build higher level units so your point about #2 is not entirely true. At least in my experience anyway. I'll grant you the AI could be better but for the price of the game it is pretty fun.

Gibsons

Lifer
Aug 14, 2001
I have seen the AI build higher level units so your point about #2 is not entirely true. At least in my experience anyway. I'll grant you the AI could be better but for the price of the game it is pretty fun.
Well that's good news. Guess I'll wait for a sale and hopefully they'll patch up the AI a little.