turn-based strategy games?

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
anyone have any recommendations?

I love Civ, and I'm curious to know if there are any other similar PC games out there.

I need a good game to play on weekend mornings when I'm drinking my morning coffee and catching up on my tivo... RTS games require a bit too much attention to fit the bill for me.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Galactic Civilizations 2 is my favorite 4X game. I am playing the Heroes of Might and Magic 5 expansions right now, which are also turned based. Elemental: Fallen Enchantress is also really fun. Civ 4 is pretty fun, but the poor AI always ruined the immersion for me.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
There are a ton. A few are Alpha Centauri, Europa Universalis series, Victoria series, Hearts of Iron series (more wargame), the old Civ related Call to Power, Caesar III...

Alpha Centauri would make sense as a recommendation as one of the higher rated computer games and a sequel to Civ by Sid Meier.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Alpha centauri, play as university, tell miriam to feck off when she comes asking for free money :thumbsup:

Baptismbyfire

Oct 7, 2010
You could argue that it was the pinnacle of gaming. Didn't it get like 95% rating from PC Gamer? (when it wasn't so shitty)

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
You could argue that it was the pinnacle of gaming. Didn't it get like 95% rating from PC Gamer? (when it wasn't so shitty)

It received the highest ever raiting, 98%, from PC Gamer; however, later it received an award for 'the rating they regretted the most', feeling they'd rated it too high, IIRC.

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
It received the then-highest ever review from PC Gamer; however, a year later it received an award for 'the rating the regretted the most', feeling they'd rated it too high, IIRC.

Oh yeah I think I remember that article.

Then they gave Doom 3 a 96% and I knew I couldnt trust them any more.

Baptismbyfire

Oct 7, 2010
It received the highest ever raiting, 98%, from PC Gamer; however, later it received an award for 'the rating they regretted the most', feeling they'd rated it too high, IIRC.

Why would they regret it the most? There was nothing wrong with the game, except the dumb AI. But that was to be expected back then (and even today sadly). It was a game, the likes of which will never be seen again in this day and age.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
I liked the Total War series more than Civ. Specifically ROME and Medieval II. Have not yet played the newer TW games.

Master of Magic

Master of Orion

gaidin43

Jan 30, 2012
Master of magic and master of Orion I played for hours back in the day. Loves both games. Too bad there is nothing new like them any more.

PrayForDeath

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004
I'm surprised no one has mentioned King's Bounty yet. Not too complicated, and it would go perfectly well with your tivo.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
Master of magic and master of Orion I played for hours back in the day. Loves both games. Too bad there is nothing new like them any more.

I have not yet played this, but it looks promising: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/01/23/hands-on-warlock-master-of-the-arcane/ (But they don't allow unit stacking like in MoM)

Elemental: War of Magic was supposed to be like MoM but it had so many bugs that I don't even want to try its expansion, Fallen Enchantress, until all the bugs are fixed. Which will take like 4 years, probably, at the rate they're going. :)

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Take a look at Endless Space.

It's in Alpha currently but due out in Summer 2012. Purchasing it via Steam gives you access to the Alpha and the game will update via Steam through Beta to the final product.

Everything I have heard so far speaks positively of it with the exception of bugs and balance issues that would plague a game in their current development phase.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
I'm surprised no one has mentioned King's Bounty yet. Not too complicated, and it would go perfectly well with your tivo.

King's Bounty and the Armored Princess / Crossworlds new campaign were both a lot of fun.

I enjoyed them more than HOMM 3 because they removed the home city part and the time pressure to conquer everything before the cheating computer had armies so large that you can't possibly win. In KB the enemy armies do not increase exponentially over time.

For other turn-based tactics games: Jagged Alliance 2, Fallout Tactics (cheap at GoG.com)