Tulsi Gabbard, First Hindu Elected To Congress, Will Swear In On Bhagavad Gita

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000

How well regarded is this opinion? I don't think he makes a very strong case for oaths, but the historical background that explains how oaths were sometimes okay is quite interesting.

As for the news item itself, very cool. It obviously isn't important what book the oath is done upon, just that the oath taker honours it and will do his duties. Other than that this is just a nice footnote in history as to the accepting multicultural nature of the United States.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
The bible has been used, it shouldn't be changed, only the bible should be used

Use separation of Church and state to stop him from swearing on his book, This country was built on Judeo-Christian values and we shouldn't turn our back on them. This is why I support the Bible over other books

As well they let him use his book due to PC and multiculturalism

What happens if someone wants to use mein kampf, should they be allowed?

Tulsi Gabbard is a SHE

Nov 30, 2006

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
For people who don't know about Tulsi Gabbard (IE everybody not from Hawaii), she was the youngest person elected to the Hawaii legislature and she left office to serve in Iraq in 2004. Then she had a second tour in 2008.

http://votetulsi.com/tulsi-gabbard

thumbRNS-HINDU-CONGRESS110112a.jpg

tulsi-gabbard.png

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
quite frankly I could care less what anyone swears on and I'm an atheist. they could swear on the satanic bible or Buckland's Complete Book of Witchcraft for all I care.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
How about they all swear on the Constitution, or at least a copy of it :p. Problem solved and a more reasonable symbol is sworn on.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
More info on the subject if you're interested. I consider this to be mainstream thought.

Oaths Are a Poor Substitute for Integrity
http://www.biblegateway.com/resources/commentaries/IVP-NT/Matt/Oaths-Poor-Substitute

Let your yes be your yes and your no be your no. If these aren't sufficient, no oath can replace them.

Sadly few understand Christianity as intended including many Christians.

Matthew 7:2 NIV

For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

Thats a powerful statement.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Certain heads will assplode.

Oh . . . I see one already has. The horror, the horror! :awe:

*Sigh* As a physics teacher, I feel it imperative that I correct you. Since I sense a vast emptiness - a vacuum -on the inside of that noggin, the correct term is "implode."

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Why isnt he swearing in on a bible, is he too good for that? This is another case of the failure of multiculturalism and bending over backwards in the name of being PC

Whatever happened to separation of Church and state?

new low for you.

try harder to troll less obviously.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
What happens if someone wants to use mein kampf, should they be allowed?

Sure, why the fuck not? If you want someone to swear on the constitution, both are documents of political/social ideologies (neither are religious texts, so in this sense, it makes no sense to compare either to the subject at hand)

Of course, a Neo-Nazi must first be elected into office before we cross that bridge...

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Why isnt he swearing in on a bible, is he too good for that? This is another case of the failure of multiculturalism and bending over backwards in the name of being PC

Whatever happened to separation of Church and state?

You are one very stupid asshole.

Theb

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
For people who don't know about Tulsi Gabbard (IE everybody not from Hawaii), she was the youngest person elected to the Hawaii legislature and she left office to serve in Iraq in 2004. Then she had a second tour in 2008.

http://votetulsi.com/tulsi-gabbard

thumbRNS-HINDU-CONGRESS110112a.jpg

tulsi-gabbard.png

Interesting. I remember seeing a lot of signs supporting her when I was in Kauai almost a year ago. Looks like she won with 81% of the vote.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003

SandEagle

Lifer
Aug 4, 2007
I dont think anyone cares since Hindu's are a peaceful people. A Quaran would have ppl pissed though.

since congress has quite a few jewish members, did they swear on the torah or the bible?

i recall there was a muslim that recently took oath by koran. too lazy to search