Trump's Winning Streak.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
President doesn't rule like a king. These things are made possible by republican controlled Congress. The same one that vowed to be obstructionists not so long ago .funny how that works.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I really wonder if turning the Supreme Court into an arm of the Republican party is really a win. I guess it depends on whether you are a Republican or an America because I think America lost.

Reactions: SNC

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
President doesn't rule like a king. These things are made possible by republican controlled Congress. The same one that vowed to be obstructionists not so long ago .funny how that works.

True, but Trump will get the credit.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
They seem to have missed the part when the NYT exposed him as a near total fraud and a criminal who is now likely exposed to potentially vast tax liability.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
They seem to have missed the part when the NYT exposed him as a near total fraud and a criminal who is now likely exposed to potentially vast tax liability.

That's just liberal tears talking, it's all about the winz

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
True, but Trump will get the credit.

It's terribly difficult to lose when you control every branch of the government especially when checks and balances were suspended on day 1...

November will be the test. I do not for one second believe the Dems are incapable of fucking this up... They and their message have been totally ineffectual the past few years... They are really bad at this game and need a serious douching, new leadership, and new direction...

Reactions: imported_tajmahal

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I really wonder if turning the Supreme Court into an arm of the Republican party is really a win. I guess it depends on whether you are a Republican or an America because I think America lost.

Love the fear mongering. Its all you guys have today and contributes to our overly partisan world. Trump is winning, getting it done, and you simply can't handle it.

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
Love the fear mongering. Its all you guys have today and contributes to our overly partisan world. Trump is winning, getting it done, and you simply can't handle it.
It amazes me how you are incapable of recognizing that no one is contributing to our overly partisan nation more than Trump. Literally no one. In addition, its not fear mongering to bring up policies and behavior Trump is pushing that experts agree will lead to the decline of the environment, our world allies, and the social fabric of our country. Yes, its nice to have the economy rolling, but I'd take Obama's economy coupled with his leadership on all the other important aspects of our nation over the mess we have now. There's more to life than the economy.

Reactions: Franz316

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Changing the confirmation of SCOTUS nominees to a simple majority vote wasn't purely partisan, was it?

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Changing the confirmation of SCOTUS nominees to a simple majority vote wasn't purely partisan, was it?

If we needed 60 votes all we'd probably do is lose justices given today's partisan world. A move needed to be done for partisan reasons, but not the reasons you think. More to do with dealing with Democrat obstruction than to be pro-Republican tilting the tables.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
If we needed 60 votes all we'd probably do is lose justices given today's partisan world. A move needed to be done for partisan reasons, but not the reasons you think. More to do with dealing with Democrat obstruction than to be pro-Republican tilting the tables.
Like the republicans have never been obstructionists, right?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Such bullshit. The extreme partisanship is entirely the doing of the GOP. They've charged to the right since Gingrich.

cfenton

Jul 27, 2015

Of course I still think he's an idiot. Have you ever seen him speak? The man can't even put a coherent sentence together.

Or both parties could nominate centrist judges instead of trying to pack the court with ideologues. Personally, I'd like to see it be a 2/3 vote for confirmation. Surely there are judges out there that appeal (or are at least palatable) to both Democrats and Republicans. Having the support of a small majority shouldn't be enough for a lifetime appointment.

Reactions: dainthomas

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Such bullshit. The extreme partisanship is entirely the doing of the GOP. They've charged to the right since Gingrich.
It was the dems that changed the rule to 51 votes for everything but the SC, then the repubs added the SC to the list. The reality is the rule had to change or we wouldn't have a supreme court at all. This is the new normal.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Republicans have been "winning" on SCOTUS for 30+ years. But it seems like whatever they have "won" is not making them particularly happy, just making other people rich.
Among the "winnings" at SCOTUS:
Being barred from courts and forced into individual arbitration if their wages are stolen.
Medicaid expansion they pay federal taxes for taken away from them at the whim of their state government.
ISPs given newly invented First Amendment right to edit and filter their speech.
Corporations given free reign to pollute their neighborhoods without recourse.
Corporations given the right to open corruption with Citizens United.
Credit card companies given the right to force retailers to make you pay their fees even if you pay cash.

I am sure I am forgetting all the wonderful "winnings" they supposedly got, but whatever they were, they are increasingly preferring an exit via opioids to all those fantastic prizes.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Republicans have been "winning" on SCOTUS for 30+ years. But it seems like whatever they have "won" is not making them particularly happy, just making other people rich.
Among the "winnings" at SCOTUS:
Being barred from courts and forced into individual arbitration if their wages are stolen.
Medicaid expansion they pay federal taxes for taken away from them at the whim of their state government.
ISPs given newly invented First Amendment right to edit and filter their speech.
Corporations given free reign to pollute their neighborhoods without recourse.
Corporations given the right to open corruption with Citizens United.
Credit card companies given the right to force retailers to make you pay their fees even if you pay cash.

I am sure I am forgetting all the wonderful "winnings" they supposedly got, but whatever they were, they are increasingly preferring an exit via opioids to all those fantastic prizes.

The cruelty is the point, it's all they care about. Trump could literally take a dump down their throats as long as he's making the right people miserable.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/10/the-cruelty-is-the-point/572104/

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
The cruelty is the point, it's all they care about. Trump could literally take a dump down their throats as long as he's making the right people miserable.
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/10/the-cruelty-is-the-point/572104/
The irony is that all the cruelty they inflicted on others is coming back to them. All the societal problems they ignored and exacerbated when they were happening in the inner cities have now boomeranged straight into Republican rural and suburban America, while liberal cities are actually on the rebound.