Trumps war on science continues.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I feel really fortunate to have an employer who supports my education both financially and by allowing me a flexible schedule. I really do feel sorry for people in their teens and twenties - I don't know if they'll ever be in a position where they get to truly feel hopeful for the future.

Find that niche that will always be needed, pays well, and can't be outsourced.

Nov 25, 2013
That is interesting. I'll take a citation please.

The numbers seem somewhat off:

"Members of both parties in Congress are at their oldest average age in decades, but the average Democrat has about four years on the average Republican on Capitol Hill.

The average Democrat was 61.0 years old at the start of this term, the highest average age for Democrats on the Hill in available data stretching back to 1947, compiled thanks to a great piece by 538, plus recent numbers from the @unitedstates project, an Internet-driven repository featuring data from the Sunlight Foundation, GovTrack.us and the New York Times.

The average Republican was 57.2 years old. The gap between the two parties has been roughly four years since the 2010 tea party wave. For two decades before that, Democrats tended to be about one year older than Republicans, on average.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/10/politics/democrats-age-problem/index.html

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
The numbers seem somewhat off:

"Members of both parties in Congress are at their oldest average age in decades, but the average Democrat has about four years on the average Republican on Capitol Hill.

The average Democrat was 61.0 years old at the start of this term, the highest average age for Democrats on the Hill in available data stretching back to 1947, compiled thanks to a great piece by 538, plus recent numbers from the @unitedstates project, an Internet-driven repository featuring data from the Sunlight Foundation, GovTrack.us and the New York Times.

The average Republican was 57.2 years old. The gap between the two parties has been roughly four years since the 2010 tea party wave. For two decades before that, Democrats tended to be about one year older than Republicans, on average.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/10/politics/democrats-age-problem/index.html

The youngest boomers, born in 1964, are now about 53. Congressional Repubs obviously have a higher % of genX'ers than Dems & the youngest are likely to be Teatards.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
If you're arguing over whose fault it is instead of trying to help solve the problem, it's your fault.

Reactions: lxskllr

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
If you're arguing over whose fault it is instead of trying to help solve the problem, it's your fault.

I'm not. I do, however, believe that social science can help us understand voting preferences.

http://www.people-press.org/2015/04/30/a-different-look-at-generations-and-partisanship/

Early Boomers have voted Democratic since forever... Late Boomers & GenX'ers not so much. The most unfortunate part of 2016 is how younger voters got chumped into staying home with the "Crooked Hillary!" routine.

https://ww2.kqed.org/lowdown/2016/11/15/how-millennials-voted-in-the-2016-presidential-election/

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000

Really? Its an all or nothing proposition? I can't find who and what the blame is while also trying to solve problems?

That's rather silly.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Really? Its an all or nothing proposition? I can't find who and what the blame is while also trying to solve problems?

That's rather silly.

I agree that the Boomers made a lot of bad decisions as a group, but what are we going to do? Tax them to death? Deny their rights to vote? Start up Soylent Gray factories? We need to focus on correcting things. They'll be dead soon and all of the terrible decisions our generation is making will start to bear fruit. We still have time to try and steer the ship away from the rocks or at least try and turn the speed down from "ramming".

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I agree that the Boomers made a lot of bad decisions as a group, but what are we going to do? Tax them to death? Deny their rights to vote? Start up Soylent Gray factories? We need to focus on correcting things. They'll be dead soon and all of the terrible decisions our generation is making will start to bear fruit. We still have time to try and steer the ship away from the rocks or at least try and turn the speed down from "ramming".

Did you see my original post? I made no such declarations about wanting to hurt baby boomers. I simply stated that I hope things would change after they are gone. Right now they are the majority force that is blocking progress.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Did you see my original post? I made no such declarations about wanting to hurt baby boomers. I simply stated that I hope things would change after they are gone. Right now they are the majority force that is blocking progress.

Show us on the doll where the evil boomers touched you...

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001

Solyent Gray was hyperbole on my part. I mean, you'd have to lure them in with something. MASH episodes? Pics of the grandkids? A lifelife display of a Millennial in a sweater outside of cell service, trying to change a flat? Even if you got them in there, the product would probably taste like patchouli oil and Tang. We could call it organic and sell it to the hipsters though...

Anyway, I get the frustration, but you're fussing at the wrong Boomers here anyway. Even for those who did vote in a way you don't like, telling them how badly they messed up the country isn't going to get them to change in 2020. We're going to have to focus on the low hanging fruit here, which I'd argue is getting younger people to feel some ownership of the country and to get out and vote, pay real money for proper journalism, hold companies and politicians accountable, and encourage them to understand the arguments of other viewpoints which aren't 100% wrong.

So yeah, I don't know, maybe a grandpa burger would be the easier route.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
People tend to become more conservative as they age. So after the boomers,it'll be GenX that are the old white men messing everything up.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Next President will probably get a Nobel like Obama, just for not being a doofus.

"Congratulations, you've managed to construct coherent and complete sentences without preparation or assistance AND you're not a known sex offender!"

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
People tend to become more conservative as they age. So after the boomers,it'll be GenX that are the old white men messing everything up.
more conservative in what way?

and you have a link to this?

this has been the opposite for me, thats why I ask. at 18, fuckin bootstraps, 37 (now) and got a big old dose of corporate america...bootstraps aint gonna do shit but look nice. were fighting for scraps.

Last edited:

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Have they tried putting chocolate frosting on science? Maybe make it like the pies in Revenge of the Nerds then I'd bet that Trump would accept it.:p

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Have they tried putting chocolate frosting on science? Maybe make it like the pies in Revenge of the Nerds then I'd bet that Trump would accept it.:p

lol...put two scoops of dat chocolate on there, science fit for a douche.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Trump does something, anything, AT P&N: The sky is falling, the sky is falling... again.

Every time.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
lol, its not even close to Conservatives reaction to a black guy being president. Man up snowflake.

Reactions: cytg111

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
lol, its not even close to Conservatives reaction to a black guy being president. Man up snowflake.

Partisan dolts do the same thing when they lose. I agree to that. But the left is upping the bar. I don't remember conservative riots burning up neighborhoods when Obama won... You guys are really losing it. He put someone in a position, three pages of tantrums. Snowflakes.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Partisan dolts do the same thing when they lose. I agree to that. But the left is upping the bar. I don't remember conservative riots burning up neighborhoods when Obama won... You guys are really losing it. He put someone in a position, three pages of tantrums. Snowflakes.

Do you think this was a good and/or competent choice?

ewdotson

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2011
Trump does something, anything, AT P&N: The sky is falling, the sky is falling... again.

Every time.
Trump does anything, anything, AT P&N "conservative" contingent: Everything is wonderful, this is all good, proper and appropriate.

Every time.