Trump's US Supreme Court Nominee Thread

Page 43 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
So, I guess you can have it both ways.

Predictable.
No one ever said nothing was being done, things could be a lot better now if trump had been trying to help the effort to slow the pandemic instead spouting bullshit like it'd be gone a month or so and encouraging morons to "LIBERATE" states.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
No one ever said nothing was being done, things could be a lot better now if trump had been trying to help the effort to slow the pandemic instead spouting bullshit like it'd be gone a month or so and encouraging morons to "LIBERATE" states.
Exactly, would Cuomo have done things differently had he known when Trump did about it being airborne and much more dangerous than originally perceived? All states would've/could've responded differently and Trump might just be on his way coasting to re-election...INSTEAD we have the current situation...all due to one "man".

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
So, I guess you can have it both ways.

Predictable.
Take Texas. Our mask ordinances are state or local not federal. I’d say our county judges and governor have done more to control the issue than the federal govt.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Your question was this:

In case there is any lingering confusion the statement was that without interventions by state and local officials the death toll would have been much higher. I assume we both agree that Trump has been useless/actively harmful.

This doesn't mean that every thing state and local officials did was good, but I'm aware of no rational person that would argue state and local health measures on the whole had either no effect or led to a net increase in deaths.

I'm well aware of what I posted. I don't need your prompts. Thanks. I asked you no questions, just to be clear.

There were extraordinary measures taken by federal, state and local officials. It seemed odd to me that you and many others are all about how pathetic the US response to the virus has been then turn around and comment on how bad it would be had extraordinary measures not been taken.

We both do not agree. Other than the fact that more could have been done on all sides to improve our situation during the virus initial onslaught and even now. There were plenty of screw-ups to go around for all. It was a new experience for all and nobody is out of the woods yet. With the exception of maybe Taiwan who has gone 200 days without a local infection.

But I understand you are stuck in your anti-Trump narrative. All the deaths are Trumps fault and all the lives saved are from the efforts of State and Local Officials.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Take Texas. Our mask ordinances are state or local not federal. I’d say our county judges and governor have done more to control the issue than the federal govt.

Thats the thing. States mandating mask wearing has legal precident in SCOTUS. Pushing this federally would be, if even possible, much, much more difficult, and would need congress's input.

HERE is a decent overview.

edit: that said, I do believe an executive order, as Biden is promising, would be overruled as unconstitutional.

Last edited:
Reactions: pcgeek11

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Exactly, would Cuomo have done things differently had he known when Trump did about it being airborne and much more dangerous than originally perceived? All states would've/could've responded differently and Trump might just be on his way coasting to re-election...INSTEAD we have the current situation...all due to one "man".

"all due to one "man"

Nothing is further from the truth.

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
Thats the thing. States mandating mask wearing has legal precident in SCOTUS. Pushing this federally would be, if even possible, much, much more difficult, and would need congress's input.

edit: that said, I do believe an executive order, as Biden is promising, would be overruled as unconstitutional.
You don't necessarily even need national mandates. You need national leadership. You need a President that wears a mask in public. You need a President that doesn't hold super spreader events. You need both sides of the political spectrum to support the idea that following CDC guidelines will save lives. You need both parties coordinating on following the CDC guidelines. You need a President that doesn't politicize a pandemic. Probably our biggest problem is that people won't get behind their local political leaders and their efforts because of Trump. And you have local leaders not following the CDC guidelines because of pressure from Trump.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
There were extraordinary measures taken by everybody federal, state and local officials.

We're sure getting some extraordinary measures today, huh? Trump rallies! Anybody with a lick of sense knows they're a threat to public health. Trump DGAF. Basking in the adulation of his delusional followers is what he lives for. I can't even imagine what's going thru his head when he gazes across another crowd of maskless morons in yet another location. They love him. That's why they showed up & that's why they aren't wearing masks, to show their support for him. No person with any conscience at all would do that. It's utterly indefensible.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I'm well aware of what I posted. I don't need your prompts. Thanks. I asked you no questions, just to be clear.

There were extraordinary measures taken by federal, state and local officials. It seemed odd to me that you and many others are all about how pathetic the US response to the virus has been then turn around and comment on how bad it would be had extraordinary measures not been taken.

We both do not agree. Other than the fact that more could have been done on all sides to improve our situation during the virus initial onslaught and even now. There were plenty of screw-ups to go around for all. It was a new experience for all and nobody is out of the woods yet. With the exception of maybe Taiwan who has gone 200 days without a local infection.

But I understand you are stuck in your anti-Trump narrative. All the deaths are Trumps fault and all the lives saved are from the efforts of State and Local Officials.
oh okay then. You are of course welcome to your usual delusions.

Grey_Beard

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2014
You don't necessarily even need national mandates. You need national leadership. You need a President that wears a mask in public. You need a President that doesn't hold super spreader events. You need both sides of the political spectrum to support the idea that following CDC guidelines will save lives. You need both parties coordinating on following the CDC guidelines. You need a President that doesn't politicize a pandemic. Probably our biggest problem is that people won't get behind their local political leaders and their efforts because of Trump. And you have local leaders not following the CDC guidelines because of pressure from Trump.

Agreed. You need a President that leads by example, not try to make it look better than it is in describing some fantasy world not currently based in reality.

The executive order is a suggestion and cannot be nothing more. There is nothing unconstitutional about that. It’s not like he is claiming to exert marshal law, first.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009

The response has been very poor compared to other countries that have been able to coordinate things and which didn't politicize the virus. In italy, politicians literally threatened to come to your house and kick your ass if you violate social distancing by throwing parties. Here politicians who will remain unnamed can't even serve as role models as to what we should be doing and instead openly encourage people not to take the virus seriously.

Its extraordinary what has been done in comparison to what generally passes mustard here in the US in terms of civil liberties (never before have US governments asked so much of people outside of times of war) but not extraordinary in its execution.

I wouldn't say all the deaths can be attributed to trump but I would think at least 30-40K of them are probably directly attributable to the poor federal response to the virus and thats being nice. Or at least what various medical journals have modeled by the inept federal response to the virus. Ask any doctor this and they'll tell you the federal response to this has been utter shit.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Agreed. You need a President that leads by example, not try to make it look better than it is in describing some fantasy world not currently based in reality.

The executive order is a suggestion and cannot be nothing more. There is nothing unconstitutional about that. It’s not like he is claiming to exert marshal law, first.
He has specifically said in his ads he will issue a national mandate. Not he and congress, but he. That would be an EO.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Not the point of my post. But thanks. I've essentially said the same thing in other posts so you're preaching to the choir. Most of the country are idiots and take the POTUS for their own personal health directives so we need someone to cater to them.

Grey_Beard

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2014
He has specifically said in his ads he will issue a national mandate. Not he and congress, but he. That would be an EO.

How is that unconditional? What about issuing a mask mandate that cannot be enforced is unconstitutional? Marshall Law would be unconditional, not an EO.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
How is that unconditional? What about issuing a mask mandate that cannot be enforced is unconstitutional? Marshall Law would be unconditional, not an EO.
You are the one who brought up marshall law and I'm not sure what it has to do with this discussion. Oh and read my post, and the link, and maybe you'll understand.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
We're sure getting some extraordinary measures today, huh? Trump rallies! Anybody with a lick of sense knows they're a threat to public health. Trump DGAF. Basking in the adulation of his delusional followers is what he lives for. I can't even imagine what's going thru his head when he gazes across another crowd of maskless morons in yet another location. They love him. That's why they showed up & that's why they aren't wearing masks, to show their support for him. No person with any conscience at all would do that. It's utterly indefensible.

O.K.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Who knew in February that covid was airborne/extremely deadly but didn't tell anyone because he didn't want to cause a panic? One man.

Well in that case the CDC and the WHO and all the other medical experts worldwide were also lying to the public.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Is that comment supposed to mean something?

Just confirming that I read your post. I also agree that people are stupid that don't wear a mask when in close contact. I wouldn't go to one, but I do have the freedom to choose where I go still.

• Haha
Reactions: brycejones

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Bullshit. China locked down Wuhan & imposed various measures across their country on Jan 23. The WHO declared a worldwide pandemic Jan 30. Trump has talked shit all along-

The USA isn't China and the laws that exist would not allow the lock down such as China did.

The WHO and the CDC was changing their narrative on a weekly basis is not daily.

On Jan. 26, Fauci “What can you tell the American people about what’s been going on?” Catsimatidis asked. “Should they be scared?”

“I don’t think so,” Fauci said. “The American people should not be worried or frightened by this. It’s a very, very low risk to the United States, but it’s something we, as public health officials, need to take very seriously.”

Feb 17, 2020: