Trumps tweeted "WE CANNOT LET THE CURE BE WORSE THAN THE PROBLEM ITSELF" and i cant believe I agree with him

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Waiting for a citation.

Its even simpler than posting a youtube video - so I'm hopeful with a little determination and channelling your inner Trump, your little mind should be able to wrap itself around the task and "win".

Wait, "teh Internets" is not a good enough Source for you?....

• Haha
Reactions: Meghan54

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Waiting for a citation.

Its even simpler than posting a youtube video - so I'm hopeful with a little determination and channelling your inner Trump, your little mind should be able to wrap itself around the task and "win".
I liked your post in the politically agnostic coronavirus response thread. Don’t be one of the peanut gallery TDStards. I don’t need to win, this is a conversation.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Wait, "teh Internets" is not a good enough Source for you?....
A basic keyword search of “hong kong coronavirus” yields the following top stories:

Video of teen ignoring coronavirus self-isolation in Hong Kong sparks outrage

A “third wave?” Hong Kong thought it had a handle on the coronavirus pandemic.

SARS made Hong Kong and Singapore ready for coronavirus

I don’t link articles because people don’t bother to read them. I expect those genuinely interested in having a discussion are well read enough to be current on ubiquitously available stories.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
I think Italy and Spain played it like the OP's advice. Now the bodies are stacking up.

It's a big ol' shit sandwich but a hit to the economy is better than tons of dead people, needlessly.

(And it's not like the alternative wouldn't be hit to the economy either. 'You may just drop dead, or kill people as a carrier!' isn't exactly robust economy material.)
Fact of the matter is, we may all have to learn to do more jobs remotely, and others with at least plans of fewer people doing them on site in situations like this.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I don’t link articles because people don’t bother to read them. I expect those genuinely interested in having a discussion are well read enough to be current on ubiquitously available stories.

People aren't asking for sources on things they already know to be accurate. If you are adding information to a discussion which doesn't conform to people's understanding, it's appropriate to ask for the source of the information and appropriate to provide it. I find it helpful generally when someone asks me for that, although it can be a PITA it is often a signal that I myself had assumed to understand something I did not.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
A basic keyword search of “hong kong coronavirus” yields the following top stories:

Video of teen ignoring coronavirus self-isolation in Hong Kong sparks outrage

A “third wave?” Hong Kong thought it had a handle on the coronavirus pandemic.

SARS made Hong Kong and Singapore ready for coronavirus

only a lazy fuck or somebody who knows they are wrong takes that stand......
Also in your case you would post articles like our local aracnic would do and put your own spin on them regardless if you were truthful or not..

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
The path of quarantine and shutdowns should follow (or anticipate) the path of infection. As we know, drug and grocery stores remain open. Restaurants here in Riverside CA can sell carry-out, but my favorite breakfast café was shut down by county order because they continued to serve customers on the premises.

My car mechanic remains open for business. My doctors and those of my Moms are in business. My dentist is open for business.

It is important to explore practical facts in "striking a balance". There are 35 million people over 70 in the USA. Some large percentage of those are retired. If they aren't retired, now is a good time for them to do it.

If they're retired, they can "shelter-in-place" without any economic impact. Maybe they won't be able to go on cruises. But they can get their cars repaired -- less likely anyway for putting much less annual mileage on the vehicles than when working full time. They can buy groceries and drugs, choosing for Insta-Cart to deliver the food and telling CVS to mail the drugs.

Another significant segment of the working population can tele-commute. Many others cannot do so. On the other hand, I don't think my gardener needs to interact much with his customers to do his job.

So basically, what Trump is saying, his encouragement for people to attend church on Easter Sunday, is counterproductive and downright criminal.

He's just worried about the stock-market, because he thinks it affects his electability. The economy was going to go into recession anyway. I'd rather wait for the DOW or S&P 500 to bounce back until after they've engineered a vaccine for this "Thing". You remember "The Thing" as John Carpenter's remake of the original, don't you? I especially woke up the other day to note Wilford Brimley's scene, watching his computer tell him "27,000 hours before the entire human race is infected."

This virus has never before been part of the human experience. We don't even know how it will mutate. We're not sure what the long-term effects may be after "recovery".

I think Trump would just rather accept everyone getting it, shine on the dead elderly people (some of whom voted for him), and hope he makes it through November so he can avoid jail time.

I don't think he should avoid jail-time. And only the Spawn of Satan could weasel through a legitimate impeachment initiative like that Filth was able to do.

[Line deleted . . ]

Last edited:

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
People aren't asking for sources on things they already know to be accurate. If you are adding information to a discussion which doesn't conform to people's understanding, it's appropriate to ask for the source of the information and appropriate to provide it. I find it helpful generally when someone asks me for that, although it can be a PITA it is often a signal that I myself had assumed to understand something I did not.
If you asked for a link, I would gladly provide it, because you engage in good faith. He did not.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
The path of quarantine and shutdowns should follow (or anticipate) the path of infection. As we know, drug and grocery stores remain open. Restaurants here in Riverside CA can sell carry-out, but my favorite breakfast café was shut down by county order because they continued to serve customers on the premises.

My car mechanic remains open for business. My doctors and those of my Moms are in business. My dentist is open for business.

It is important to explore practical facts in "striking a balance". There are 35 million people over 70 in the USA. Some large percentage of those are retired. If they aren't retired, now is a good time for them to do it.

If they're retired, they can "shelter-in-place" without any economic impact. Maybe they won't be able to go on cruises. But they can get their cars repaired -- less likely anyway for putting much less annual mileage on the vehicles than when working full time. They can buy groceries and drugs, choosing for Insta-Cart to deliver the food and telling CVS to mail the drugs.

Another significant segment of the working population can tele-commute. Many others cannot do so. On the other hand, I don't think my gardener needs to interact much with his customers to do his job.

So basically, what Trump is saying, his encouragement for people to attend church on Easter Sunday, is counterproductive and downright criminal.

He's just worried about the stock-market, because he thinks it affects his electability. The economy was going to go into recession anyway. I'd rather wait for the DOW or S&P 500 to bounce back until after they've engineered a vaccine for this "Thing". You remember "The Thing" as John Carpenter's remake of the original, don't you? I especially woke up the other day to note Wilford Brimley's scene, watching his computer tell him "27,000 hours before the entire human race is infected."

This virus has never before been part of the human experience. We don't even know how it will mutate. We're not sure what the long-term effects may be after "recovery".

I think Trump would just rather accept everyone getting it, shine on the dead elderly people (some of whom voted for him), and hope he makes it through November so he can avoid jail time.

I don't think he should avoid jail-time. And only the Spawn of Satan could weasel through a legitimate impeachment initiative like that Filth was able to do.

[Line deleted . . ]
We can now call Trumpity Dumpity our Criminal in Chief!!!

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
We can now call Trumpity Dumpity our Criminal in Chief!!!
I've been calling him that since 2017.

Take for instance "tax time". I'd already cut my checks for April 15. Because of a change in our household grocery-budget strategy with large Insta-Cart orders, the cost of N95 masks, stylish "Train-Man" bandanas, 3M respirator cartridges, nitrile surgical gloves, hand-sanitizer and anti-bacterial soap, I mildly welcome the new tax-date of July 15. So the checks may say "April 15", but they'll get mailed in July.

However, I "pay what I owe -- no more, no less." When someone says "I pay as little as possible", and I add to that the NYT investigations, the FEC violations, a family history of tax-fraud, an unfulfilled promise to reveal tax returns, a whistleblower from IRS describing an effort to thwart traditional audit of presidential taxes and an effort to cover it up -- I know a criminal when I see one.

If you frequent the "Garage" forum, you'll see my obsession with my 25-year-old Trooper. I keep thinking of bumper posters like "Re-elect the Criminal-in-Chief and Make America Lower than Crocodile Piss!" More inflammatory: "Identify, Boycott -- and Destroy Trumper Businesses!" I keep a solid-oak Louisville Slugger in that Trooper. But I stop short with the posters, because I won't countenance damage to it even if I get a chance to wield that Slugger in her defense.

I should've continued with Little League as a kid. I was mastering the art of the Line Drive. I know how to use an ax with great efficiency and effectiveness -- all in the wrist and centrifugal force. But I'm not going to use my Trooper to bait someone . . . .

If I survive Trump, I need to be able to drive myself to his grave-site with a sledge hammer and a full bladder . . . .

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009

[Line deleted . . ]
It's fortunate that I retired a bit earlier than my due date in July. I've been able to self isolate, almost completely, except for getting the groceries. I'm putting off doing all kinds of things I don't need to do, even some medical, and now, probably dental stuff. My age, and some other health issues make me afraid that it would be quite scary to get the virus. I'm living with the realization that for me this may become a lifestyle until a vaccine is actually out in the public, meaning this is for the long haul.

Reactions: soundforbjt

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
It's fortunate that I retired a bit earlier than my due date in July. I've been able to self isolate, almost completely, except for getting the groceries. I'm putting off doing all kinds of things I don't need to do, even some medical, and now, probably dental stuff. My age, and some other health issues make me afraid that it would be quite scary to get the virus. I'm living with the realization that for me this may become a lifestyle until a vaccine is actually out in the public, meaning this is for the long haul.
Oh, I can make a joy out of such a lifestyle. I'm anchored at home anyway, with a disabled brother and a 95-year-old Moms who requires food preparation and supervision. If something happens to me, just for a visit to the ER and possible hospitalization, they are S-O-L.

So I think of that scene with W. C. Fields: "It's not a fit night for man nor beast . . . " Or -- the Antarctic team in John Carpenter's "The Thing". Nothing like having a great library.

The logistics of "stocking up for the Big Freeze" is a nice challenge. It makes sense to pay the Insta-Cart charges for a large order. But you can't get some things through Insta-Cart that make life more civilized, like bottles of lemon-extract for the espresso, or enough beans to keep brewing it. I should pursue online possibilities, nevertheless. Freeze quarts of milk! Get dried banana chips, while choosing fruits that last longer like apples, pears, etc. My brother is a maintenance drunk, so I got him four 36-packs of canned Budweiser. Bread? It gets stiff and stale. I discovered we'd overstocked with flour, and I have yeast, baking soda, etc. If I can make my own pizza dough from scratch, I can bake bread.

Buy lots of potatoes! Wash them -- and the fruit -- in 50% white-vinegar to stifle the mold. A spare refrigerator is a god-send. I'd built a wine-chiller from a top-loading freezer and a Johnson digital temperature control, and I've got bottles that are 10 or 15 years old -- enough to get the crew of an aircraft carrier roaring drunk -- well -- almost. We really stocked up on soft-drinks, but Bro makes them disappear almost as fast as the beer.

And don't forget to get a lot of onions and fresh garlic . . . You can freeze your shrimp, your catfish filets and salmon burgers. Never short yourself on beef or pork-butt-roast . . . Freeze several sizes of tortillas . . . . The PF Chang dinners are absolutely necessary, and a large bag of rice will go a long, long way . . .

Freeze the friggin' Cheese! If you like your hot oatmeal, don't forget the instant grits. Buy 24-packs of eggs -- they'll last two months in the refrigerator . . .

It's Sergeant Preston of the Yukon!

Last edited:

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Oh, I can make a joy out of such a lifestyle. I'm anchored at home anyway, with a disabled brother and a 95-year-old Moms who requires food preparation and supervision. If something happens to me, just for a visit to the ER and possible hospitalization, they are S-O-L.

So I think of that scene with W. C. Fields: "It's not a fit night for man nor beast . . . " Or -- the Antarctic team in John Carpenter's "The Thing". Nothing like having a great library.

The logistics of "stocking up for the Big Freeze" is a nice challenge. It makes sense to pay the Insta-Cart charges for a large order. But you can't get some things through Insta-Cart that make life more civilized, like bottles of lemon-extract for the espresso, or enough beans to keep brewing it. I should pursue online possibilities, nevertheless. Freeze quarts of milk! Get dried banana chips, while choosing fruits that last longer like apples, pears, etc. My brother is a maintenance drunk, so I got him four 36-packs of canned Budweiser. Bread? It gets stiff and stale. I discovered we'd overstocked with flour, and I have yeast, baking soda, etc. If I can make my own pizza dough from scratch, I can bake bread.

Buy lots of potatoes! Wash them -- and the fruit -- in 50% white-vinegar to stifle the mold. A spare refrigerator is a god-send. I'd built a wine-chiller from a top-loading freezer and a Johnson digital temperature control, and I've got bottles that are 10 or 15 years old -- enough to get the crew of an aircraft carrier roaring drunk -- well -- almost. We really stocked up on soft-drinks, but Bro makes them disappear almost as fast as the beer.

And don't forget to get a lot of onions and fresh garlic . . . You can freeze your shrimp, your catfish filets and salmon burgers. Never short yourself on beef or pork-butt-roast . . . Freeze several sizes of tortillas . . . . The PF Chang dinners are absolutely necessary, and a large bag of rice will go a long, long way . . .

Freeze the friggin' Cheese! If you like your hot oatmeal, don't forget the instant grits. Buy 24-packs of eggs -- they'll last two months in the refrigerator . . .

It's Sergeant Preston of the Yukon!
I wish you and yours well.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
My best friend and I were talking about that today as he drove me to pick up some water! What we do is we shop as 2 people but we are a team. For example I needed water today so he bought his allotment of water and gave it to me after we left the store! I did not need eggs but he did so he bought his allotment of eggs and I also bought what the store said i could buy and I gave him what I bought!
For both my friend and i this has become a wake up call!!

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
My best friend and I were talking about that today as he drove me to pick up some water! What we do is we shop as 2 people but we are a team. For example I needed water today so he bought his allotment of water and gave it to me after we left the store! I did not need eggs but he did so he bought his allotment of eggs and I also bought what the store said i could buy and I gave him what I bought!
For both my friend and i this has become a wake up call!!
Fortunately my pharmacist just gave me 90 day supplies of everything including my insulin!

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Freakin' CVS website sucks. You ought to be able to switch all your family's prescriptions from "store pickup" to "home delivery" with one button or switch. I spent an hour poking around on that thing.

Instead, you have to wait until they send you a "prescription ready" notice to make the switch for each prescription.

The grocery stores also suck for making it easy. Amazon, eBay -- most of the web-sites for e-commerce are easy to navigate. But the grocery stores are pure torture . . .

"Who's in charge here?!"

And who the hell do they hire to set up their web-commerce pages? Trump supporters? Is that why they're so difficult to navigate? A lack of logic or common sense?

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Freakin' CVS website sucks. You ought to be able to switch all your family's prescriptions from "store pickup" to "home delivery" with one button or switch. I spent an hour poking around on that thing.

Instead, you have to wait until they send you a "prescription ready" notice to make the switch for each prescription.

The grocery stores also suck for making it easy. Amazon, eBay -- most of the web-sites for e-commerce are easy to navigate. But the grocery stores are pure torture . . .

"Who's in charge here?!"

And who the hell do they hire to set up their web-commerce pages? Trump supporters? Is that why they're so difficult to navigate? A lack of logic or common sense?
and while your at it....they need to leave my lawn the hell alone!!!

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
3.2M + filed for unemployment last week. :eek:

It’s not over yet and we still need to hold the line for several more weeks.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
3.2M + filed for unemployment last week. :eek:

It’s not over yet and we still need to hold the line for several more weeks.

Its obviously past time to kill MeMaw and PawPaw to get the economy moving again. So what if in a total meltdown of the health care system the death rate soars past 10%? That's just the cost of doing business. Plus all the money we'll save on medicare and SS by wiping out the boomers now.

/s for the slow.

$2T is going to be a stop gap. We'll need to throw more at this especially once we're able to start getting back to normal to prime the pump and get things restarted faster.

Jan 25, 2011
The death cult is responding to this orange shit gibbons demands.

Tate Reeves, the Gov. of Mississippi and an overall complete piece of shit has overruled cities and counties that were trying to protect their citizens and ordered everyone back to work. The state should be sued fucking blind by anyone who contracts after this point.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000

Tate Reeves, the Gov. of Mississippi and an overall complete piece of shit has overruled cities and counties that were trying to protect their citizens and ordered everyone back to work. The state should be sued fucking blind by anyone who contracts after this point.

Jesus. These fucking people.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012

Sheesh!...I'm thinking it's in the state constitution that the anyone elected governor has to be a moron.

Reactions: Brainonska511