Trumps "last night in Sweden"

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
So it's a measure of tone... and importance given by them.
Was Obama's a lash of anger, a moment in time... Was Trump's a lasting appeal, a political tool / rallying cry?
I think Obama meant it, and was consistent at calling out his opponents from start to end. Trump just has more opponents, and his style is not to speak carefully. Is he appealing to those divisions to some end? Sure... the media talks Trump 24/7 with full saturation. If anything, his "obsession" mirrors their own with him. It appears, to me, to be a simple matter of back and forth.

A thin skinned President who can't help but speak... poorly.

Obama said one rather well worded thing. In 8 years. In one month Trump has railed against the media constantly, using non-nuanced verbiage, because he has no intellectual diction. It's not even a fair comparison. Obama had plenty of opponents - posting signs of him hanging in a noose, him as a chimp or monkey, him as a muslim that needs to go back to Africa - except Obama had the class and restraint to never address them. What Obama did address, presidentially, were his opponents in Congress, accusing them of obstructing him, which was true. Trump can't help but lash out at everything. He has no class, is not presidential, and has no restraint.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Would not want that happening in the US

Uhhh...you seem to forget some of the "would not want that happening in the U.S." sports riots after winning championships, such as in 1992, more than 1,000 people were arrested in what The Washington Post called "an ugly orgy of violence and looting" after the Bulls defeated the Portland Trail Blazers in the NBA Finals. Fortunately, no one was killed. Nearly 100 police officers were injured and an estimated $10 million in damages was committed as disorder abounded throughout the city.

Or the other various sports riots, like these:

--In the aftermath of the Tigers' victory in the 1984 World Series, one man was murdered, three rapes were reported, more than 40 fans were arrested and at least 100 were injured in a shameful episode that is perhaps the most infamous American sports riot. Cars were torched, and Tiger Stadium was vandalized.

--When the Lakers captured the NBA title in 2000, unruly fans took to the streets around Staples Center and proceeded to vandalize property, set bonfires and destroy four vehicles -- including two police cruisers -- in a riot that produced at least 11 arrests and 12 injuries. Similar episodes occurred after the Lakers won the 2009 and 2010 championships. At least 25 people were arrested in 2009, and at least 38 people were arrested in 2010, with extensive property damage reported each year.

--Denver's worst riot occurred after the Broncos won their first Super Bowl in January 1998, when approximately 10,000 fans congregated and some overturned cars, looted and vandalized dozens of buildings. Dozens of people were arrested, and total damages were estimated in the millions of dollars.

YTFiOTMwYzY5NiMvMU5uektJd1otZmdCckp4Y3dyRXc1UFYzMGdZPS8yM3gxNjI6MTU3N3g4OTEvODQweDM5NC9maWx0ZXJzOnF1YWxpdHkoNzApL2h0dHA6Ly9zMy5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL3BvbGljeW1pYy1pbWFnZXMvejU4ajFrZnRvemltZXAxNDV1Y2ZycWE2ZDNld2Q2NmMxamR4OXV5ZHYwcGJmY2NkZnM2ZW55MGF4NTNkbGJtcy5qcGc=.jpg

Twenty people were arrested and an estimated $160,000 in damages was committed during a smaller incident involving about 1,000 fans when the Broncos won their second Super Bowl the next year. After the Avalanche won the 2001 Stanley Cup, at least 63 fans were arrested, but property damage was lower than preceding Denver uprisings. Avalanche fans also rioted after the team won its first Stanley Cup in 1996.

--Three fans died in recent Boston sports riots -- one after the Patriots' Super Bowl win in February 2004, another after the Red Sox won the 2004 AL pennant and a third after the Celtics won the 2008 NBA crown.

At least 37 arrests were made as fans burned cars and threw bottles at police after the Red Sox won the 2007 World Series. Police arrested at least 20 fans after the Red Sox won the 2004 World Series, and fans also rioted after the Pats won the Super Bowl in February 2005.

ZmM2YTE0MjBhYiMvNGF5NFFBOS1wTTl1RThrSXNBM2RfMV9JRDZNPS80NXgyMzk6MTk1NXgxMTY4Lzg0MHg0MDkvZmlsdGVyczpxdWFsaXR5KDcwKS9odHRwOi8vczMuYW1hem9uYXdzLmNvbS9wb2xpY3ltaWMtaW1hZ2VzLzVudzR0MWxiY2s4dHZ0c3BvZGZhcm9md2p0bG55OXZwZXFmZDdpNTl3dGQyems4eXF2eHRudjVleHJhbTdudjUuanBn.jpg

--March 23-24, 2000: Students at several campuses incited violence during the round of 16 in the NCAA tournament. At Purdue, hundreds of fans damaged property and started fires after the Boilermakers' win over Gonzaga. At Iowa State, thousands of fans damaged cars and tore down light poles -- one suffered a head injury when he jumped into a lake -- after the Cyclones' win over UCLA. Finally, some fans among a throng of hundreds hurled bottles at police at Wisconsin-Oshkosh in celebration of its parent school, Wisconsin, beating LSU.

--Eleven arrests were made when University of Minnesota fans set approximately 65 fires and caused a disturbance that caused approximately $250,000 in campus damages after the Gophers beat New Hampshire to win the 2003 NCAA hockey championship. For good measure, New Hampshire fans also rioted in the campus town of Durham. Lest we forget, Gophers fans caused almost $40,000 in damages after Minnesota won the 2002 national title.

--Ohio State students have rioted several times in Columbus over the years. The most dubious instance occurred after the Buckeyes beat archrival Michigan in football in 2002, when more than 100 fires were set and 48 people were arrested in a riot that caused an estimated $400,000 in damages.

ohio-state-university-buckeye-fans-react-to-championship-game-58f1d770a1f1d873.jpg

And we could go on for a looooong time, but I think the point's made. Sports riots are OK.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I wonder if the US or UK has the biggest manbaby sports fans. On one hand I don't recall any mass arrest scenarios like the ones described above; on the other hand, we uphold an international reputation for hooliganism. That takes dedication and teamwork!

Feb 16, 2005
So Trump said there was a terror attack in Sweden "last night"?
wow, I know it would take a good 8.3 seconds to search and get a definitive answer, so let me get that for you
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39021599
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/02/...in-sweden-trumps-remark-baffles-a-nation.html
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...last-night-donald-trump-florida-a7589036.html
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/trump-says-last-night-in-sweden-incident-fox-news
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...last-night-in-sweden-remarks/article34085557/
http://www.centralmaine.com/2017/02...look-at-whats-happening-last-night-in-sweden/

now i have not thoroughly vetted those sources, but something tells me, that yes, drumpf did say "last night"
I mean, here I am using his words against him. How fake of me to actually use hair furor's quote as a reference point.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Trump the prophet?

Rioting erupts in immigrant-dominated Swedish suburb
Riots erupted in a heavily immigrant Stockholm suburb Monday night, as masked looters set cars ablaze and threw rocks at cops, injuring one police officer, Swedish officials said.
Bonus Round: Trump may have been unclear, but Sweden experiencing a migrant crime wave

Before you attack the source,
When speaking on the subject of what immigration has done for European countries, maybe not all roses.
America is not the only one who develops ethnic enclaves. It's a human phenomenon, but such division is not safe.
One might say the western world has done a poor job of handling immigration where, recently, assimilation just breaks down.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Then, pray tell jaskalas, if the situation is so dire, why hasn't Sweden slowed down the immigration numbers they accept?

nCred

Golden Member
Oct 13, 2003
Then, pray tell jaskalas, if the situation is so dire, why hasn't Sweden slowed down the immigration numbers they accept?
They have slowed it down a lot in the last year since the mass-immigration started to seriously threaten the welfare systems and security in Sweden. Because of the stricter rules that were implemented in 2016 the number of asylum seekers decreased dramatically.

The reason why so many immigrants have been allowed to come here is due to Sweden being ruled by "anti-patriots" who doesn't appear to care about the welfare of the swedish people.

Last edited:

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Trump the prophet?

Bonus Round: Trump may have been unclear, but Sweden experiencing a migrant crime wave

When speaking on the subject of what immigration has done for European countries, maybe not all roses.
America is not the only one who develops ethnic enclaves. It's a human phenomenon, but such division is not safe.
One might say the western world has done a poor job of handling immigration where, recently, assimilation just breaks down.

I don't know about you, but I didn't notice in any of the articles you mentioned did it say that the violence was caused by refugees. Unless people wish to hold refugees responsible for violence committed by people who are anti-refugee, I kinda think that might be important.

Coming back to the topic, it doesn't change the fact that Trump told an outright lie.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Obviously hired thugs! People are saying this. Very, very bad! Many people--some of whom, I hear, have been correct or maybe incorrect about things in the past--tremendously said so.

No one is saying this. Just wanted to see how "flinging out bullshit" feels.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Trump the prophet?

Fox News the liars?

http://www.dn.se/kultur-noje/nyhete...ed-in-fox-news-segment-filmmaker-is-a-madman/

Two Swedish police officers were interviewed in the film. Anders Göranzon and Jacob Ekström answered questions about how weapons are becoming more accessible. Horowitz also asked the officers about how crime has spread through cities. But the police officers now say that their answers were taken out of context, and are very critical of how their comments were portrayed on Fox News ”Tucker Carlson Tonight”. ”I don’t understand why we are a part of the segment. The interview was about something completely different to what Fox News and Horowitz were talking about”, says Anders Göranzon.

Why were you interviewed?

”It was supposed to be about crime in high risk areas. Areas with high crime rates. There wasn’t any focus on migration or immigration”.

How did you react to the news segment?

”We don’t stand behind it. It shocked us. He has edited the answers. We were answering completely different questions in the interview. This is bad journalism.”

Reactions: amenx

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
They have slowed it down a lot in the last year since the mass-immigration started to seriously threaten the welfare systems and security in Sweden. Because of the stricter rules that were implemented in 2016 the number of asylum seekers decreased dramatically.

The reason why so many immigrants have been allowed to come here is due to Sweden being ruled by "anti-patriots" who doesn't appear to care about the welfare of the swedish people.

Really?

More asylum seekers are expected to come to Sweden in 2017 compared to the year before, but the number has been reduced from a previous estimation, according to the Swedish Migration Agency's (Migrationsverket) latest forecast.

The authority expects 34,700 people to seek asylum this year. That's a decrease compared to its previous estimation for 2017 of 36,700 which was carried out last autumn, but would still mean more requests than those registered in the country during 2016 when 29,000 asylum applications were submitted.

http://www.thelocal.se/20170207/sweden-cuts-2017-refugee-forecast-further

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Well, there's your problem....you're expecting him to both read then comprehend. Good luck with that.

Good one. Got me. Zing! Boom! Pow! Since I can't verbally ask the question slowly to you, I'll type it extra slowly. Did Trump explicitly state that there was a terror attack in Sweden or are people wanting to make up a narrative? Seems like there were some problems in Sweden. Does Trump need to refine his communication precision and be more succinct? Yes. People are in turbo douche mode so there is zero room for any hyperbole, and he would benefit from backing down the hyperbolic statements because people are combing through his stuff with a microscope and a fine toothed comb. The funny thing is Trump is know for showmanship and overselling and it still seems to catch people off guard when it happens.

I also know that I'm apologizing while drinking more kool-aid.

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004

”It was supposed to be about crime in high risk areas. Areas with high crime rates. There wasn’t any focus on migration or immigration,” Anders Göranzon told the paper.

Göranzon said they were “answering completely different questions in the interview. This is bad journalism.”

...Crime rates in Sweden have remained relatively flat over the past 10 years, according to the 2016 Swedish Crime Survey, even as the country has taken in hundreds of thousands of immigrants and refugees.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/sweden-fox-news-trump-police_us_58ab095ee4b037d17d29be2b

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
what are the chances drumpf can read?

My guess is he suffers from dyslexia and has never been really given the tools to deal with it. Hence his limited vocabulary and penchant for getting his information from a visual medium like TV. He may even have a very good to great memory but that is declining as he ages so he is more likely to make flubs. It will only get worse from here.

Reactions: DarthKyrie