Trumps 100 Billion dollar Saudi arms deal is "Fake News."

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Are you fucking kidding me. He claimed he put together a deal when it was put together by Obama. He said it was done when it was not done. I am very certain he knows when someone has actually concluded a deal and when someone has not. These are obvious lies.

Again, what he meant by "done" is the issue here. If he meant he was certain of its conclusion over time, then he hasn't yet done anything wrong.

Calling someone the 'JV team' was a personal estimation of their abilities. It was neither true or false, it was just an evaluation of them. That evaluation turned out to be wrong, but that has nothing to do with it being true or a lie. That's like saying I lied if I said I thought the Cavs would win game 2.

Sigh. "If you like your doctor you can keep your doctor."

Not a lie if Obama actually believed it was true. It's only dishonest if he knew it was false.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
His competence? Probably twice with the same actors (Trump and Saudis for the same deal).

His honesty? You can't compromise honesty by making mistakes, because mistakes by definition are bad decisions made in good faith, and dishonesty is bad faith. One might make a million mistakes in good faith without ever being dishonest.

He's supporting Saudi actions against Qatar now, something that is decidedly not in US interests. It looks like he's referencing something they told him as justification. Seems we've got two examples already. Also I'd submit that this as arbitrary standard makes little sense. If somebody showed a pattern of incompetence making sure that there are two examples of him doing it with any party before calling it incompetence is weird.

I did use mistakes in quotes on purpose. Personally I think it's a mix of pathological lying, carelessness, and incompetence. Take your pick on the ratios for any given situation.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
What's "funny" is let's say the right magically says "Ok, you caught us, Obama did this deal and we were trying to take credit"
I assure you, you'd then hear the right wingers screaming that Obama is arming the M.E. again and specifically the country where the 9/11 conspirators came from.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Again, what he meant by "done" is the issue here. If he meant he was certain of its conclusion over time, then he hasn't yet done anything wrong.

So now we're making up new definitions for done? And why are you ignoring all the other lies like Trump saying he concluded the deal when it had been 'concluded' by Obama previously?

Seriously, you just enable conservative politicians to lie to you even more egregiously when you try and defend obvious lies like this. They are counting on people like you to convince yourselves that they aren't lying even when it's obvious.

Sigh. "If you like your doctor you can keep your doctor."

Not a lie if Obama actually believed it was true. It's only dishonest if he knew it was false.

I think that comment was either false or showed a reckless disregard for the necessary nuance. Obama lied many times while in office, it's something every president does. No president has ever come even remotely close to the volume and character of lies that the current administration has though. It's a genuine danger to our political system, especially when people are so partisan that they feel that enabling this behavior is preferable to damaging the prospects of their political tribe.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
This is typical of Trump. I don't just mean lying in the generic sense. I mean it's similar to when he's claimed credit for creating jobs by entering a situation that already existed, over-inflating some numbers, and claiming it's all him. When in fact the numbers will turn out to be much lower, and in any event, it will have little if anything to do with him.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
This is typical of Trump. I don't just mean lying in the generic sense. I mean it's similar to when he's claimed credit for creating jobs by entering a situation that already existed, over-inflating some numbers, and claiming it's all him. When in fact the numbers will turn out to be much lower, and in any event, it will have little if anything to do with him.
It's very alpha-male behavior. You claim everything. If it's good, awesome, if it's bad, make it good (lie, cheat, and steal if you have to). But no matter what, above all else, you own all of it.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
So now we're making up new definitions for done? And why are you ignoring all the other lies like Trump saying he concluded the deal when it had been 'concluded' by Obama previously?

Seriously, you just enable conservative politicians to lie to you even more egregiously when you try and defend obvious lies like this. They are counting on people like you to convince yourselves that they aren't lying even when it's obvious.

I think that comment was either false or showed a reckless disregard for the necessary nuance. Obama lied many times while in office, it's something every president does. No president has ever come even remotely close to the volume and character of lies that the current administration has though. It's a genuine danger to our political system, especially when people are so partisan that they feel that enabling this behavior is preferable to damaging the prospects of their political tribe.

I gotta take a break man. My employer doesn't know he's paying me to spend an hour arguing on Anandtech.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016

Atreus is more than aware that trump is a textbook pathological liar, he's just protecting his own because he identifies with it.

artvscommerce

Golden Member
Jul 27, 2010

So he's either a liar or an idiot; don't you find that deeply troubling either way?

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
I can't contain all my shock that he tried to sell this bullshit to the public. Dude is a simple shiester, that's it. He's a used car salesmen who got a 100 million dollar bailout.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
His competence? Probably twice with the same actors (Trump and Saudis for the same deal).

His honesty? You can't compromise honesty by making mistakes, because mistakes by definition are bad decisions made in good faith, and dishonesty is bad faith. One might make a million mistakes in good faith without ever being dishonest.

Nice dodge. Poor Donald! So persecuted! So misunderstood!

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I for one am shocked that Trump lied about something.

It's taken the news media a very long time but they do finally seem to be grasping the fact that when Trump says something the default assumption should be that it's a lie.

Why do we even bother? Yeah we need to know this stuff but every morning there's Trump's Wall of Stupid looming before us. Grrr... :D

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
Great news! I was seriously hoping this "deal" was all fluff. Still winning! Fuck Saudi Arabia!

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
When AnonymousUser isn't aware that Saudi arms are often used against muslims.

I'm well aware of that fact, and still believe it's a terrible thing. It's often difficult to differentiate between Saudi and ISIS:

VuzlEzX.jpg

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005

Earlier it was said that the deal wasn't done. Now you say it was done ( concluded ) by Obama.

Concluding definition, to bring to an end; finish.

As I understand it is still a proposal initially brought forth by the Obama Administration but not concluded or completed. Trump has allegedly reaffirmed the deal verbally, but it still is not done or concluded.

At best it was misrepresented as set in stone and it was not and may never be.

Last edited:

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
So you assert that Trump is full of shit because he's just reaffirming a deal that was already in place and touting it as his own. Good.

Thanks Obama.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Earlier it was said that the deal wasn't done. Now you say it was done ( concluded ) by Obama.

Concluding definition, to bring to an end; finish.

As I understand it is still a proposal initially brought forth by the Obama Administration but not concluded or completed. Trump has allegedly reaffirmed the deal verbally, but it still is not done or concluded.

At best it was misrepresented as set in stone and it was not and may never be.

I said it wasn't concluded but even if you considered it concluded it was done by Obama.

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
What's the difference between Banditry/theft and stealing?

I believe theft by Banditry is defined as theft by force, or as part of a group (of bandits). So stealing an unattended bike would cost a hand, but brandishing a weapon and stealing a bike from its owner would cost a foot and hand.

Last edited: