Trump would take foreign help in election and not tell FBI: "They have information. I think I'd take it"

Page 15 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Would it make you feel better if he paid for it? It’s healthy for a functioning democracy to leverage foreign intelligence assets with the intent of finding dirt. I am sure there is a cell somewhere searching for Mayor Pete’s elementary school essays.

Paid for what? It's not like it's legal to buy hacked emails & their timely release. It might actually be legal to pay for the services of the kind of troll army effort the IRA put out for Trump but then there would be an unseemly money trail.

OTOH, it would be perfectly legal for the RNC, for example, to hire a law firm to hire a research firm to hire an individual of any nationality to do research, so long as they pay fair market value. You'll notice that the FEC didn't complain a bit when the DNC did just that. They didn't complain when the GOP availed themselves of the services of Cambridge Analytica, either.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Paid for what? It's not like it's legal to buy hacked emails & their timely release. It might actually be legal to pay for the services of the kind of troll army effort the IRA put out for Trump but then there would be an unseemly money trail.

OTOH, it would be perfectly legal for the RNC, for example, to hire a law firm to hire a research firm to hire an individual of any nationality to do research, so long as they pay fair market value. You'll notice that the FEC didn't complain a bit when the DNC did just that. They didn't complain when the GOP availed themselves of the services of Cambridge Analytica, either.

Did the DNC pay fair market value for the FBI wiretaps resulting from the Steele dossier?

Sucks that we got Trump out of the deal but there’s never been a more deserving person to be cheated out of what she wants than his opponent.

Feb 4, 2009
Did the DNC pay fair market value for the FBI wiretaps resulting from the Steele dossier?

Sucks that we got Trump out of the deal but there’s never been a more deserving person to be cheated out of what she wants than his opponent.

Appearently so because:

Who is President
Who has appointed the current AG and Justice Department
Who has appointed the Election Committee head (title is wrong but the election oversight agency)

I’ll give you a hint Donald J Trump is the correct answer for all three

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

So dishonest. Nobody outside the FISA Court & the FBI knew about the warrants on Carter Page until Nunes put out a scurrilous memo In February of 2018-

Based on this back and forth between the HPSCI partisans, I wrote on Lawfare at the time that the FBI’s disclosures on Steele “amply satisfie[d] the requirements” for FISA applications, and that the central irony of the Nunes memo was that it “tried to deceive the American people in precisely the same way that it falsely accused the FBI of deceiving the FISA Court.” The Nunes memo accused the FBI of dishonesty in failing to disclose information about Steele, but in fact the Nunes memo itself was dishonest in failing to disclose what the FBI disclosed. I said then, and I still believe, that the “Nunes memo was dishonest. And if it is allowed to stand, we risk significant collateral damage to essential elements of our democracy.”

https://www.lawfareblog.com/what-make-carter-page-fisa-applications

That was when Nunes was forced to recuse himself, remember?

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Agreed however that Genie is out of the bottle and I’m confident foreign powers have been contributing something since literally forever. I think George Washington had some words about foreign intrigue, tips and something else.
As far as it is now, pay for it at market value, disclose whom you’ve paid. Line that should not be crossed is paying for stolen material. Admittedly that will end up on Wikileaks or whatever.
The genie is out, and it’s going to get progressively worst. The only difference I see with Trump is the brazen arrogance and disregard for norms, a growing trend amongst the elites.

Alternatively, how do you place value on information gathered illegally? Does the paper trail really it matter if it leads to dubious information.

The age of deep fakes is going to blow the barn doors right off.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
The genie is out, and it’s going to get progressively worst. The only difference I see with Trump is the brazen arrogance and disregard for norms, a growing trend amongst the elites.

Alternatively, how do you place value on information gathered illegally? Does the paper trail really it matter if it leads to dubious information.

The age of deep fakes is going to blow the barn doors right off.

It's def a growing trend amongst the Republicans. Witness Mitch McConnell, Bill Barr, Wilbur Ross & a whole constellation of right wing talking heads & Cabinet members. We def haven't seen anything remotely like that from Dems.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Holy shit! And people claim glenn1 is one of the "reasonable ones".

They do? He was the guy who said that he'd be fine with universal health care if the system refunded him all the payments that he didn't make use of.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
It's def a growing trend amongst the Republicans. Witness Mitch McConnell, Bill Barr, Wilbur Ross & a whole constellation of right wing talking heads & Cabinet members. We def haven't seen anything remotely like that from Dems.
Cronyism, nepotism, corruption, collusion. These concepts are not unique to the GOP. Trump is simply the most brazen we’ve ever seen, and his cabinet and administration are a reflection of that.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
He is seriously concerned about the level of dialogue here, it was getting to high so he had to focus on brining it down.