Trump wants to raise tarriffs on.... basically everything.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 25, 2013
no hate for justin trudeau imposing tariffs that hurt every single canadian?

tariffs on about 90 percent of all items canadians use every day?

anything?

the trick with tariffs is to impose them on products you can make at home.

canada doens't have much of that left.

i would be shocked if 10 things on that list are made in canada still.

No idea what's going on I see.

Nov 8, 2012
Honest opinion here - I don't expect it to be any valid argument... Moreover, this is ultimately just a question.... But one thing I have noticed through all this is that regardless of this "hurting America" through these acts, it REALLY pisses off China to the point of retaliation. If this ultimately hurts America worse than it hurts China - then why are they getting so pissy? Shouldn't they be celebrating and laughing at us instead?

I'm not here to argue for the trade-war or anything... I am way too uninformed on the entire complex process of global trade to give a valid opinion overall.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Honest opinion here - I don't expect it to be any valid argument... Moreover, this is ultimately just a question.... But one thing I have noticed through all this is that regardless of this "hurting America" through these acts, it REALLY pisses off China to the point of retaliation. If this ultimately hurts America worse than it hurts China - then why are they getting so pissy? Shouldn't they be celebrating and laughing at us instead?

I'm not here to argue for the trade-war or anything... I am way too uninformed on the entire complex process of global trade to give a valid opinion overall.

If you shoot me in the knee and then shoot yourself in the chest should I be glad that you hurt yourself more than you hurt me? Or should I be pissed that you hurt both of us? Or should I feel some other, third thing?

Nov 8, 2012
Aaand Surprise! Neither is Donald Trump!

Knowing nothing other than your posts here - I am willing to bet my entire wealth that you don't know jack shit about global trade either. So quit with the salty back talk on honest discussion.

Nov 8, 2012
If you shoot me in the knee and then shoot yourself in the chest should I be glad that you hurt yourself more than you hurt me? Or should I be pissed that you hurt both of us? Or should I feel some other, third thing?

If you're in competition as #2 to #1 - and.... #1 is hurting himself more than it is hurting you (hence you have a potential to get to #1).. why would you be mad?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
no hate for justin trudeau imposing tariffs that hurt every single canadian?

tariffs on about 90 percent of all items canadians use every day?

anything?

the trick with tariffs is to impose them on products you can make at home.

canada doens't have much of that left.

i would be shocked if 10 things on that list are made in canada still.

You understand the concept of retaliatory tariffs? Orangutan in Chief is responsible for this mess and all of us are paying the price.

Last edited:
Reactions: DarthKyrie

LurchFrinky

Nov 12, 2003
If you're in competition as #2 to #1 - and.... #1 is hurting himself more than it is hurting you (hence you have a potential to get to #1).. why would you be mad?
What competition?! Do you think there is a prize or something?
This is one of the biggest problems with this dude and his brainwashed supporters: not everything is as simple as win-or-lose.
This is a case of "a rising tide lifts all boats", but he wants our boat to be higher than everyone else's by drilling holes in theirs. All the while knowing that they will drill holes in our boat. He thinks we "win" because they are sinking faster than us, but we are all sinking!

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
What competition?! Do you think there is a prize or something?
This is one of the biggest problems with this dude and his brainwashed supporters: not everything is as simple as win-or-lose.
This is a case of "a rising tide lifts all boats", but he wants our boat to be higher than everyone else's by drilling holes in theirs. All the while knowing that they will drill holes in our boat. He thinks we "win" because they are sinking faster than us, but we are all sinking!

I’m pretty sure that’s not how that metaphor goes these days.

It’s “A rising tide drowns all who don’t own yachts.”

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Because global trade is mutually beneficial - everyone gets richer through free trade. China doesn’t get richer because the US gets poorer. The basic answer is that although we are in competition the competition isn’t zero sum.

Interestingly enough this seems to be the thing that Trump doesn’t understand about trade, which might explain why he’s making such a huge blunder.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Because global trade is mutually beneficial - everyone gets richer through free trade. China doesn’t get richer because the US gets poorer. The basic answer is that although we are in competition the competition isn’t zero sum.

Interestingly enough this seems to be the thing that Trump doesn’t understand about trade, which might explain why he’s making such a huge blunder.

Trump extended his understanding of the corporate balance sheet to trade balance. Which is incredibly dumb and will eventually lead to catastrophe.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Oh yes, read my millionth story about some soy farmer who doesn't mind going out of business if the big integrated steel mills (many of which simply don't exist anymore) in PA all come back to life. We're fucked because the president and these people who support him are so stupid.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Oh yes, read my millionth story about some soy farmer who doesn't mind going out of business if the big integrated steel mills (many of which simply don't exist anymore) in PA all come back to life. We're fucked because the president and these people who support him are so stupid.

Yea, they say that now.

Come back a year from now when they can't put food on the table and can't support their families. They'll all be singing a different tune.

LurchFrinky

Nov 12, 2003
Yea, they say that now.

Come back a year from now when they can't put food on the table and can't support their families. They'll all be singing a different tune.
No, they won't be singing a different tune, that's the problem. They will believe whatever the conservative leadership tells them, and they will tell them that the reason they can't put food on the table is because the liberals take all of their taxes and give them to illegal immigrants.

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012
You understand the concept of retaliatory tariffs? Orangutan in Chief is responsible for this mess and all of us are paying the price.

but along goes canada with it's already steep tariffs on dairy and no one bats an eye.,

so trump imposes a tariff and the world goes insane

He had to respond, this was the only valid option available.

he could have cried he's really good at that.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Let them go out of business, but of course they are going to ask for a bailout.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
but along goes canada with it's already steep tariffs on dairy and no one bats an eye.,

Canada’s tariffs with the US are extremely low. Also, the US runs a trade surplus with Canada. What exactly are you expecting here?

I would hope we all agree that Trump’s tariffs are a very dumb idea. I suspect it comes from the fact that he just lacks a basic understanding of economics.

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012
Canada’s tariffs with the US are extremely low. Also, the US runs a trade surplus with Canada. What exactly are you expecting here?

I would hope we all agree that Trump’s tariffs are a very dumb idea. I suspect it comes from the fact that he just lacks a basic understanding of economics.

270 percent is low?

in terms of goods there is a deficit of 17.5 billion.

so a surplus it ain't

also trumps tariffs aren't nearly as damaging as the trudeau ones.

he (justin) is literally fleecing canadians while protecting the dairy cartel.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

You mean you don't know US has dairy trade surplus with Canada? The big tariffs you are quoting only applies when you go above quota.
Why is it Canada's problem you guys have no daily supply control and are now dealing with glut of products?

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/up-f...ped-up-charge-against-canadian-dairy-tariffs/

Last edited:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
270 percent is low?

in terms of goods there is a deficit of 17.5 billion.

so a surplus it ain't

Notice how you restricted it to goods as if services don’t count every bit as much.

We have a trade surplus with Canada and that is a simple, undeniable fact.

also trumps tariffs aren't nearly as damaging as the trudeau ones.

he (justin) is literally fleecing canadians while protecting the dairy cartel.

Canada’s average tariff rate with the US is 0.85%. So again, exactly what do you want to accomplish here?

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...west-in-the-world-and-in-the-nations-history/

Trump’s tariffs are stupid, there’s almost nothing they could accomplish even if they were successful. Again, we should all be able to at least accept that Trump’s policy here is dumb. Can you at least do that?