Trump wants to debate Clinton without a moderator

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Nice thing is that Trump will be fact checked, and the expectations for Hillary have been lowered so much that if she has a pulse during the debate, she will have won.

What kind of bullshit is that about expectations of Hillary?

I expect her to be meticulously prepared & ready to mix it up carrying a giant purse filled with facts, figures, ideas & an incalculable number of barbs & pointy things designed to dig into Trump's oh so tender thin skin. Poke. prod. needle. scrape. scratch. pinch.

We all know he can dish it out but she has a hide like a rhinoceros. We'll get to see if he can take it & I don't think he can do that very well at all.

We'll see if he weasels out of it like he's done with his tax returns or not. He's floating the idea out there with all the bullshit about it being "rigged".

leper84

Dec 29, 2011
What exactly do you think your link proves? Honestly it would help if you actually read the links you posted. Clinton never suggested they change the designated debates, but add more to accommodate what she felt was Obama's concern. In fact she would have taken more debates with moderators.

It pretty clearly states she challenged President Obama to a debate without moderators. The same thing you lovely illogical people are railing against Trump for in this very thread. No amount of flowery language bs will change that fact and the hypocrisy shown here.

If Hillary had the guts to challenge Obama back in 2008, what reason would she have to decline against Trump?

And thanks for pointing out, why isn't Hillary challenging Trump to more debates? When Trump made a big stink over the few amount of debates and the fact they were scheduled up against football, why didn't she challenge Trump to add more prime time debates to the mix? Is Hillary scared of Trump? How can she stand up to ISIS, China and Putin if she can't debate Donald Trump?

Last edited:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
What exactly do you think your link proves? Honestly it would help if you actually read the links you posted. Clinton never suggested they change the designated debates, but add more to accommodate what she felt was Obama's concern. In fact she would have taken more debates with moderators.

Question? Is the inability to process basic information a prerequisite for being a Trump supporter?

She didn't intimate anything about oh so unfair moderators, either.

Besides that, he'd shit his drawers if she took him up on it.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
It pretty clearly states she challenged President Obama to a debate without moderators. The same thing you lovely illogical people are railing against Trump for in this very thread. No amount of flowery language bs will change that fact and the hypocrisy shown here.

If Hillary had the guts to challenge Obama back in 2008, what reason would she have to decline against Trump?

And thanks for pointing out, why isn't Hillary challenging Trump to more debates? When Trump made a big stink over the few amount of debates and the fact they were scheduled up against football, why didn't she challenge Trump to add more prime time debates to the mix? Is Hillary scared of Trump? How can she stand up to ISIS, China and Putin if she can't debate Donald Trump?

I'm sure you didn't find that link yourself. I'm sure it was fed to you from some far right site. I'm also sure they told you what to think about it and why to be outraged. I learned back in middle school to ask who, what, where, when, and why. Ask yourself those questions in regards to the link you posted. The most important being, "Why trump wants debates without moderators vs. why Hilary wanted debates without moderators". And then ask yourself if your logic or claim of hypocrisy still makes sense.

leper84

Dec 29, 2011
I'm sure you didn't find that link yourself. I'm sure it was fed to you from some far right site. I'm also sure they told you what to think about it and why to be outraged. I learned back in middle school to ask who, what, where, when, and why. Ask yourself those questions in regards to the link you posted. The most important being, "Why trump wants debates without moderators vs. why Hilary wanted debates without moderators". And then ask yourself if your logic or claim of hypocrisy still makes sense.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=clinton+obama+2008+moderators

So are you debating the accuracy of a link to CBS News?

Or are you just throwing crap against the wall and seeing what sticks?

All I see is someone desperately trying to explain why its okay for Hillary because she's not Trump. Pretty it up all you want, it still stinks.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
What kind of bullshit is that about expectations of Hillary?

I expect her to be meticulously prepared & ready to mix it up carrying a giant purse filled with facts, figures, ideas & an incalculable number of barbs & pointy things designed to dig into Trump's oh so tender thin skin. Poke. prod. needle. scrape. scratch. pinch.

We all know he can dish it out but she has a hide like a rhinoceros. We'll get to see if he can take it & I don't think he can do that very well at all.

We'll see if he weasels out of it like he's done with his tax returns or not. He's floating the idea out there with all the bullshit about it being "rigged".

I think just the sight of this Buffoon next to a serious and decent person like Hillary is going to be something.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Obama has demonstrated that he could behave like an adult in a debate without a moderator. Trump? not so much.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
He doesn't want a moderator because:

1. He can ignore the fair allotment of time to each candidate to speak and just blather and try to yell her down and fill the entire time with his bloviating garbage.

2. He can just go all in on personal attacks and not have to stick to real issues that formal debates pose to each candidate.

3. He knows in a formal debate all the insane narratives he's spouted since he started his own personal political shitshow venture may/will be brought up, and not only will it remind the sane electorate how insane he is and how nothing he says he may not contradict later, but a lot of it is completely indefensible.

He likely knows and has been informed he's fucked in the debates and has put this out there knowing Clinton will not agree to it and he'll use that disagreement to manufacture a narrative of how he got cheated in the debates after he gets demolished. He already laid the groundwork of an excuse for his likely loss in the election with some conspiracy theories of how if he loses certain states, the election will have had to have been rigged. The guy is nuts.

I don't see him having much of any chance in these debates. He's not a particularly bright individual, just a shrewd con man. Intellectually he comes off as a turnip and it's going to show when he tries his usual song and dance when pressed on the issues and has nothing substantive to actually offer.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

As others have said Obama has a consistent history of acting like an adult, unlike Trump.

We all know people in our lives who are mature and disciplined enough that they don't need rules and oversight to behave themselves. I sincerely doubt many people at all would say Trump is one of those people.

Roflmouth

Golden Member
Oct 5, 2015

"It okay when we do it!" "False equivalency!" "Mommy!!!!!1111111222222"

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009

Question? Is the inability to process basic information a prerequisite for being a Trump supporter?
It's a requirement to be a Hillary hater.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Trump is going to play victim and lash out at the moderators. His perma-victim supporters will just suck it all up.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
He doesn't want a moderator because:

1. He can ignore the fair allotment of time to each candidate to speak and just blather and try to yell her down and fill the entire time with his bloviating garbage.

2. He can just go all in on personal attacks and not have to stick to real issues that formal debates pose to each candidate.

3. He knows in a formal debate all the insane narratives he's spouted since he started his own personal political shitshow venture may/will be brought up, and not only will it remind the sane electorate how insane he is and how nothing he says he may not contradict later, but a lot of it is completely indefensible.

He likely knows and has been informed he's fucked in the debates and has put this out there knowing Clinton will not agree to it and he'll use that disagreement to manufacture a narrative of how he got cheated in the debates after he gets demolished. He already laid the groundwork of an excuse for his likely loss in the election with some conspiracy theories of how if he loses certain states, the election will have had to have been rigged. The guy is nuts.

I don't see him having much of any chance in these debates. He's not a particularly bright individual, just a shrewd con man. Intellectually he comes off as a turnip and it's going to show when he tries his usual song and dance when pressed on the issues and has nothing substantive to actually offer.

yes, but you should be aware that none of these "presidential debates" have ever been formal debates. They are not debates in the sense that they follow the generally accepted structure and rules of the classic oxford-style debate system.

These are just springboards for the candidates to respond to each other about policy issues--when they can stay on topic--as prompted by the largely ineffective moderator. The only goal for these things is to try and score a few one-liners that lodge in the crawl of the voting public over the next several weeks.

Reactions: stormkroe
Jan 25, 2011
I really would not be surprised to see Trump, the day after the debate, point to online polls, claim victory and declare any further debates needless.

It's sad that I see that as a very real possibility and the thought isn't some whacked out nonsense.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I really would not be surprised to see Teump, the day after the debate, point to an online poll, claim victory and declare any further debates needless.

It's sad that I see that as a very real possibility and the thought isn't some whacked out nonsense.

ftfy, slightly. ;)

Feb 4, 2009
I really would not be surprised to see Trump, the day after the debate, point to online polls, claim victory and declare any further debates needless.

I'm sure Bill can find these guys again. Multiple guys all with the same outfit

yKYen72.jpg

Basically Bush wouldn't debate Clinton because he knew Clinton was better at it so these guys started showing up everywhere Bush went.
There is a story about Bush gave a speech, was irritated by the guy got in the limo and drove for 90 minutes when he arrive what appears to be the same guy was standing on the sidewalk a few steps away from him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_George_(politics)

Probably even more effective vs Trump because He advertises himself as much more of a tough guy than Bush ever did and He's against a Woman, which I know is sexiest but its reality just like Women in Politics can't yell because it reminds us of our Mothers.

Last edited:

stormkroe

Golden Member
May 28, 2011
yes, but you should be aware that none of these "presidential debates" have ever been formal debates. They are not debates in the sense that they follow the generally accepted structure and rules of the classic oxford-style debate system.

These are just springboards for the candidates to respond to each other about policy issues--when they can stay on topic--as prompted by the largely ineffective moderator. The only goal for these things is to try and score a few one-liners that lodge in the crawl of the voting public over the next several weeks.
We shouldn't be surprised, after the R primary circus and the current campaigning, when this debate is just Jerry Springer goodness. It's just the evolutionary step towards a time when government offices look like the movie Idiocracy, and the courts look like Encounter at Farpoint (or the Sharkticons court in Transformers the movie). There's no going back at this point.
Are you not entertained?