Trump wants to commute the sentence of Rob Blagojevich

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Blagojevich was on Celebrity Apprentice. Not surprising he would have a direct line to Trump. Interesting that some Illinois GOP politicians are against this, and Trump has garnered some support from Democrats.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Blagojevich was on Celebrity Apprentice. Not surprising he would have a direct line to Trump. Interesting that some Illinois GOP politicians are against this, and Trump has garnered some support from Democrats.

yes, Jesse Jackson thinks Blagojovich should have been pardoned. Congrats, you are now on the team of your hated Jesse Jackson. :D

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Blago is mimicking the exodus of the Dixiecrats in the 60s. The party could no longer tolerate their racist politics so guess who took them in? That's right Republicans.

Blago is now a card carrying member of the Trump Republican Party. Corrupt, check. Criminal, check.

Reactions: darkswordsman17

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I don’t think I’ve ever seen Cooper so fucking furious at another human being, rightfully so.

There are probably 4 people in the entire state of IL who favored Blago’s commutation.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
In Trumps mind unbridled corruption and pathological lying are viewed as positive traits. Probably will offer him a job in his administration soon.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
My initial inclination was that Trump was an idiot for publicly announcing his support for political corruption. But then I remembered this is Trump and what generally holds for everyone else is the opposite for him. For example, for anyone else under investigation for colluding with Russia to influence their election victory, failing to implement sanctions on Russia passed by Congress would be a colossal mistake. For anyone else the mere suggestion that you try to fire a special investigator into your crimes would be unsurvivable.

Indeed, Trump's superpower is his ability to perpetually hold the stance that there is no possibility he has ever done anything wrong. We have seen some heinous folks topple after being exposed because once consciousness of guilt is apparent, no one watching can ever fully buy the bullshit they are spewing.

But not Trump. He never backs off except to rewrite the narrative of what happened even when the new narrative is transparently false. But it doesn't matter. Knowing he's completely full of shit doesn't change anything. His narrative is what counts until you force a different reality to operate. We have to force it, because the longer we wait, the more we have to normalize crap like this and make our job even harder.

I think this is spot on but I come up pretty empty handed when I think of ways to force it. For me, of course, the temptation is that I have trouble distinguishing force from violence, threat, fear, intimidation, etc. Even if Trump loses the 2020 election the Trump response you suggest here will simply mean he declares the election results fake news and that he actually won. His followers would go along with that.

And that's the problem I see, not just Trump but the fact that millions are anxious to believe what they would otherwise know can't possibly be. The problem is the American people, not Trump, those who are paralyzed in the face of his lies and those who want to believe. I think even Democrats are afraid to try to remove him, afraid of the entitled rage that seethes within the American people, the rage that democracy isn't for them having been purchased by the 1%.

Impeachment was the route. Republicans need to quit falling for the sunk cost fallacy and pull the damn plug. They may end up being the only ones who can, and it may be too late before they choose to.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Trump knows more about law breaking and law enforcement than anybody. Just ask him. Trump and his business were involved in 3,500 legal cases even before he became dictator, the evidence is there.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Impeachment was the route. Republicans need to quit falling for the sunk cost fallacy and pull the damn plug. They may end up being the only ones who can, and it may be too late before they choose to.
We live in a world of of delusion, of pretense and pretending, where real feelings, what we feel at our deepest level is universally denied, a place where everybody is terrified to go and fears more deeply than the plague. For this reason, that the game is played on a massive scale where any who dare to explore, to question, to truly self question, are greeted as pariahs, misfits and insane. As in the Matrix and agent of one kind or another is always there to bring us back into the game. And we do this because at those deepest levels I refer to we are absolutely convinced of a lie that is simply not true, that by being put down as children and compared to others, we were made to feel, the core of unconscious belief, that we are the worst in the world, on the one hand an impossibility and on the other a complete lie.

And we have never been exposed to these truths in our lives, never had the encouragement to self examine, never had a place to go for support, for help in rooting out these feelings, for reliving them and knowing they are a lie, that there is not now nor ever was anything wrong with us. We do not know, don't know we don't know, and don't want to know we don't want to know. The catch 22 is complete. We do not know we believe in a lie because we believe that knowing that lie would kill us. No, we will just realize the dies long ago, psychically and to die again is to be reborn.

Perhaps if the world heard this good news that is avoided by the fear of death, and enough people worked to challenge it, we would begin to understand that all hatred of the other is hatred of the self. We would not need a savior like Trump to pretend that our salvation lies in the belief in our lie, that everything is cumming up roses as, like frogs in a heating pot, we slowly embrace our demise.

In the mean time, or as it seems to me:

All the world’s a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances;
And one man in his time plays many parts,
His acts being seven ages. At first the infant,
Mewling and puking in the nurse’s arms;
And then the whining school-boy, with his satchel
And shining morning face, creeping like snail
Unwillingly to school. And then the lover,
Sighing like furnace, with a woeful ballad
Made to his mistress’ eyebrow. Then a soldier,
Full of strange oaths, and bearded like the pard,
Jealous in honour, sudden and quick in quarrel,
Seeking the bubble reputation
Even in the cannon’s mouth. And then the justice,
In fair round belly with good capon lin’d,
With eyes severe and beard of formal cut,
Full of wise saws and modern instances;
And so he plays his part. The sixth age shifts
Into the lean and slipper’d pantaloon,
With spectacles on nose and pouch on side;
His youthful hose, well sav’d, a world too wide
For his shrunk shank; and his big manly voice,
Turning again toward childish treble, pipes
And whistles in his sound. Last scene of all,
That ends this strange eventful history,
Is second childishness and mere oblivion;
Sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything.

A world full of sleeping machines:

Welcome, my son
Welcome to the machine

Where have you been?
It's alright, we know where you've been

You've been in the pipeline, filling in time
Provided with toys and 'Scouting for Boys'

You bought a guitar to punish your ma
And you didn't like school
And you know you're nobody's fool
So welcome to the machine

Welcome, my son
Welcome to the machine

What did you dream?
It's alright, we told you what to dream

You dreamed of a big star
He played a mean guitar
He always ate in the Steak Bar
He loved to drive in his Jaguar

So welcome to the machine

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Can't. Trump is the unanticipated consequence of their own efforts. Decades of right wing propaganda & misinformation created a voter base incapable of making rational decisions. They knew what they were doing all along. They arrogantly thought they could always control it. It's how they won elections all the way back to Gingrich, at least. They created the right conditions for a cult of personality.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Can't. Trump is the unanticipated consequence of their own efforts. Decades of right wing propaganda & misinformation created a voter base incapable of making rational decisions. They knew what they were doing all along. They arrogantly thought they could always control it. It's how they won elections all the way back to Gingrich, at least. They created the right conditions for a cult of personality.
Thread I created confirms people in their midst even know it

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
who exactly that is a Democrat has supported this??
Blagojevich is a scum bag -- once a scum bag always a scumbag!! or is it once a scumbag always a Trumpocrat??

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Some support?? It's virtually against commutation 100%. Is that like "some Mexicans are fine people.

Nice Trump move there