Trump wants to commute the sentence of Rob Blagojevich

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Blagojevich was convicted in connection with three schemes, including the attempted sale of a Senate seat. He was found guilty on 11 criminal counts related to the Senate seat and six counts involving fundraising shakedowns of a hospital executive and racetrack owner.

When Barack Obama was elected president in November 2008, Blagojevich held the sole authority under Illinois law to name a successor, and prosecutors argued that he tried to leverage that power to cash in for himself.

Through intermediaries, Obama sent signals that he preferred the post go to his friend Valerie Jarrett, prompting Blagojevich to allegedly offer a swap -- Jarrett to the Senate and Blagojevich to a Cabinet post or other high-level administration job. (These counts were eventually thrown out on appeal.) Another deal allegedly floated by Blagojevich would have had Obama insiders lean on wealthy financiers to bankroll a nonprofit advocacy group for the governor to run at a generous salary.

After all that was rebuffed and Jarrett withdrew from consideration, Blagojevich angled to hand the Senate post to U.S. Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. in exchange for $1.5 million in donations promised by Jackson supporters.

The Senate scheme produced perhaps the most iconic quote from the entire affair: "I've got this thing and it's (expletive) golden," Blagojevich said in a conversation secretly recorded by government agents. "I'm not just giving it up for (expletive) nothing."

lol

Reactions: Brainonska511

Trell

Oct 28, 2003
https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...7f9ed6-526a-11ea-9e47-59804be1dcfb_story.html

Here is the real reason:
He’s been in jail for seven years over a phone call where nothing happens — over a phone call which he shouldn’t have said what he said, but it was braggadocio, you would say,” Trump told reporters last year. “I would think that there have been many politicians — I’m not one of them, by the way — that have said a lot worse over the telephone.”

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...7f9ed6-526a-11ea-9e47-59804be1dcfb_story.html

Here is the real reason:
He’s been in jail for seven years over a phone call where nothing happens — over a phone call which he shouldn’t have said what he said, but it was braggadocio, you would say,” Trump told reporters last year. “I would think that there have been many politicians — I’m not one of them, by the way — that have said a lot worse over the telephone.”
All those crimes he's also probably guilty of. He showing us, that crooked politicians and wealthy people are mistreated, just like him.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I can't help but feel that in situations like this is would sure be nice to know who is putting money in the president's pocket. I hear that's no one's business and Congress has no reason or right to know that though so I guess we'll all just assume it's above board.
I wonder why Mrs. B has been on Fox several times in the last few months. Fox and Friends.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Maybe Blago will get the medal of freedom.

The guy should have been a Republican. He wouldn't have needed to ask for payoffs. There would have been a bidding war.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Michael fucking Milken? Is he setting a precedent to pardon for financial crimes.... presumably, so some future president pardons him?. Was it to support corrupt politicians in general, who Trump sees as being of his own kindred? With Blago - was it to exonerate (sort-of) the guy who tried to sell that evil Kenyan Obama's former Senate seat to the highest bidder? We’ll have to wait for Fox News to explain it to us.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
One good thing out of all this....
At least Charles Manson is dead. Trump can’t pardon old Charlie.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012

Trump: - "I saw his wife on TeeVee!!"

Blagojevich's wife was a fixture on Fox News, completely fabricating ties between her husband's investigators and the Mueller team. And it worked.

In January, Blagojevich penned a column on Newsmax titled, "House Democrats Would Have Impeached Lincoln" amid the impeachment efforts against Trump. While Blagojevich didn't mention Trump's name in the column, his wife tagged the president's name as she retweeted the piece. And it worked. Trump repeated his claim that FBI Director James Comey was involved in Blagojevich's prosecution. Comey did not take over at the FBI until years after the Blagojevich case.

When is Bernie Madoff's column coming out? The intended message is that white-collar crimes committed by people who suck up to Trump are not to be punished, and/or that law enforcement officials who refuse to suck up to Trump can expect to have their work nullified. The banana republic is now officially here.

Reactions: Aegeon

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000

Here is the real reason:

In other words, it was a perfect call.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
You never know what Donald Trump is really up to or the real reason why he does what he does.
I mean, why all the commuting now???
He could wait until after he wins re-election. Or wait until after his loss and before his last day like every other lame duck president has done.
So, why now?
Other than some Donald Trump knee-jerk reaction or advice from Rush Limbaugh or advice from Sean Hannity, what is Trump thinking?
I wonder if this commuting rush is because Donald Trump might actually be worried about his political future. Just maybe Donald Trump is seeing something the rest of us are not seeing, or that Donald Trump doesn’t want us to see.
Just maybe all of those hundreds of Trump rally attendees are not enough, or not realistically depleting the reality of Donald Trump’s chances of re-election.
Maybe Trump Has chosen to commute now just in case he doesn’t have the chance later?
Maybe Trump has done something so terrible so unthinkable we have yet to know about or yet to hear about, but worthy of immediate removal From office.
How about Section 4 of the 25th Amendment?
The clause says: "Whenever the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive departments or of such other body as Congress may by law provide transmit to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall immediately assume the powers and duties of the office as Acting President".

Could this be the worry of this president?
Is this what is happening?
Could this involve William Barr and the justice department and an attempted takeover by Donald Trump warranting Section 4 of the 25th Amendment to kick in?
Is there a limit for presidential corruption, and has Donald Trump now reached that limit.
And thus the rush to commute.
Would anyone be that surprised?