Trump: two rules, buy American, hire American

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I guess I will be the one who buys american. Me, a liberal, who lives in a big city, buys american.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
I'm pretty sure that's coming down the pipe as well.

So as a trump supporter, are you cool with this?
I didn't vote for Trump. Foreign workers are standard for resorts. I frankly don't care.

The new job I picked up a year ago is a company who employs many foreign workers on visas, and quite honestly, they deserve the jobs much much more than the lazy complaining Americans at the office I deal with day in & day out. If I were in charge, I'd higher more foreign workers because they actually get tasks accomplished.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I didn't vote for Trump. Foreign workers are standard for resorts. I frankly don't care.

The new job I picked up a year ago is a company who employs many foreign workers on visas, and quite honestly, they deserve the jobs much much more than the lazy complaining Americans at the office I deal with day in & day out. If I were in charge, I'd higher more foreign workers because they actually get tasks accomplished.

And you'd be making America great again, obviously.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
There is a third rule:

Make in America.

You know, the one place where Trump makes virtually none of his products.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
There is a third rule:

Make in America.

You know, the one place where Trump makes virtually none of his products.

He doesn't hire, buy, or make American but he's going to get everyone else to do it! Just ask his supporters.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
An $6k flatscreen made in America or a $2k flatscreen that was made in Taiwan,? Hmm...

I'm all for buying American. The problem is can they offer items that are going to be cheaper than the competition?

MajinCry

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2015
I wonder when we'll hear about a good ol' rape scandal at the place. Private land, sexual predator of an owner, foreign workers, oh my.

1sikbITCH

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
I wonder when we'll hear about a good ol' rape scandal at the place. Private land, sexual predator of an owner, foreign workers, oh my.

You won't hear about it. You'll just hear stories of girls mysteriously disappearing from time to time. Like on Deadwood they just hose down the room and get it back into circulation. Lets go time is money.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
An $6k flatscreen made in America or a $2k flatscreen that was made in Taiwan,? Hmm...

I'm all for buying American. The problem is can they offer items that are going to be cheaper than the competition?
That's the crux of the situation. American consumers have chosen, and American consumers chose not to support American workers at the wages American workers want to make.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
That's the crux of the situation. American consumers have chosen, and American consumers chose not to support American workers at the wages American workers want to make.

Although if most goods had a "country of manufacture" sticker on (which couldn't be lied about by, e.g., "this product was prepared for sale in the US but manufactured elsewhere"), and two perfectly reasonable choices were lined up together, how many more people would buy local?

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Although if most goods had a "country of manufacture" sticker on (which couldn't be lied about by, e.g., "this product was prepared for sale in the US but manufactured elsewhere"), and two perfectly reasonable choices were lined up together, how many more people would buy local?
My guess is not many, because when push comes to shove, the more important sticker is the one with the price on it, and it wouldn't be a small difference.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012

Exactly. That's what we call a free market. I don't want the government to tell me what I can and can't purchase. Let me vote with my money. What's Trump going to do? Eliminate all foreign competition so the only items left are from America?

That's not a good alternative. In fact, it's nuts. If he attempts to do this I can see a recession on the way. Or, maybe even a depression. The Smoot-Hawley Tarrif Act of 1930. It put us right into the great depression. Don't think it can't happen again.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
My guess is not many, because when push comes to shove, the more important sticker is the one with the price on it, and it wouldn't be a small difference.

Admittedly produce isn't the same as electronic goods, but IMO if it made little difference then British supermarkets would not bother having extra eye-catching branding to show stuff as being produced in the UK.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Trump's labor secretary nominee was on CNBC telling how he prefers foreign workers for his restaurants.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013

Maybe that's Trumps plan. He'll manufacture 'Made in America' stickers in the US, start slapping them on products and then claim victory

Nov 8, 2012